Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Not a lot of travel so punches or tooling would have to be short. 

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

hammer. Making some short tools that fit underneath is not a big deal. 

Thanks for the tip yall, I definitely won’t be stickin my paws in between that thing an hot metal! Lol, 

the guy built it with adjustable points for both the chain and the springs on the back,

but I don’t know how much more clearance that would give,

7 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

I am inclined to combine carbons for the sake of conbinative conviviality.  

That’s a good idea I might try mixing a 50-50 or 25-75 mix of the stuff I’m used to with the new stuff an see how I like it

very nice hacksaw by the way! Cant beat the price! 

9 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Also, make sure you are holding your tool dead vertical.

I would qualify this: chisels and punches should be dead vertical. However, you can cheat a fuller or a set hammer a little off vertical when shaping a piece under the hammer; just be careful with how hard you hit. 

Speaking of chisels, you might want to make yourself a cutting plate to protect the anvil from chisel cuts. I’d suggest a bit of thin plate tack-welded to a piece of pipe that’s just big enough to slip over the top end. Nothing fancy; it’s kind of a consumable. 

These crane hooks followed me home from work a little while back. We have a large trolley crane that got an upgrade a few years ago and the obsolete replacement hooks have been languishing in our warehouse since then. They were just going to throw them away! I even got the warehouse guy to load them into my truck with a forklift.

I had a hard time getting them out of my truck. I can't pick them up, but I could just barely scoot them around with a tow strap wrapped around my waist. They must weigh over 300 lbs each. Knowing the application, they are rated for at least 30 tons. For now they will sit until I figure out what to do with them. Any ideas?

crane hooks small.jpg

Big fullers, nice shallow swages and large dishing forms. Were I mounting one I think a strong horizontal sleeve to receive the shank would be my first choice. It'd let me rotate the THING anvil so I could use all the different shapes.  I'd just use a clamp in or on the sleeve to secure it in the position I was using.

I have some old cheapO C clamps I sometimes sacrifice for the acme threaded shafts and boxes. One would make a fine lock.

Orrrrr, maybe yard art sculpture element. How about a scrap art Orca fly fisherman?

Hopefully if presented with the opportunity I'd be able to resist bringing them home. 

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Orrrrr, maybe yard art sculpture element. How about a scrap art Orca fly fisherman?

Hopefully if presented with the opportunity I'd be able to resist bringing them home.

I think I have seen a smaller hook stood on the shaft and painted like a swan; that would look cool next to a pond somewhere.

I also considered mounting them at the end of my driveway, but I just know some redneck with a jacked-up truck would find it hilarious to yank them out just for a fun challenge after a couple beers. Hmm, maybe I could sell one to such a person to mount on the back of their truck. Kinda like the ridiculously large "truck nuts"?

I like your horizontal sleeve mount idea though.

Hmmmm, maybe mount them in a sleeve connected to a crazy strong bungee with a break away. Soooo, when the hold my beer rednecks strike the bungee will stretch and release loading the hook into their pickup for them. At SPEED. 

Okay, I've thought about this one for a minute or two now and it's evolved into a more workable idea. One hook on each side of the driveway as an entrance. A really BIG bungee as the gate with a tempting hand forged ring in the center. 

You gain a collection of red neck pickup bumpers. I wouldn't position them so they sling shot pickups or their components at anything I valued. 

Or better yet some good old boy, hearing the rep of your gate brings his GIANT fire breathing, super duper charged, tandem 8 cyl, diesel powered, tractor pull, truck with the great big, stump jumping mud slinger, tires. Just to show you who's boss of course.

Well, the forged ring in the center of your bungee gate is just right to clamp in the pintle hitch and he's ready to pull. With an engine ROAR loud enough to wake the dead he dumps the clutch and starts stretching your gate. Which consists of 900' of half inch super duty elastic rubber that's been folded in half till it makes your gate. It's been wrapped in brightly colored rubber and fire hose cloth for aesthetics sake. You wouldn't want your wife hating it would you?

So, with a dump of the clutch the giant tractor type tires bite and off he goes. Elastic strands stretch, resistance grows but he has a MIGHTY truck and it doesn't rip the bumper off nor jerk his custom painted monster ride back. Nope, instead it pulls the hooks our of their somewhat flexible mounts. You as a conscientious person had, of COURSE spring mounted the hooks to mitigate damage if someone drove into one at speed. You don't want to hurt anybody. What responsible person would?

So, about the time thunder truck is starting to hop and bounce advancing hardly at all, the springs slip their bounds. Said entry way, gate posts load themselves in the pull truck. 

Through the frame.

Is that an entertaining visual or what?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that is magnificent.

I now have this idea forming in my head; I could mount them into a deep concrete footing and charge money for people to try to rip them out with their trucks. If you succeed, you are crowned king of the rednecks, sort of a sword-in-the-stone situation.

Seriously though, I hadn't thought of using them as pillars for a gate. I could turn them facing out, weld on some heavy duty pivots, and fab up some sort of gate out of other industrial salvage (commonly known as "junk" to boring people).

You are all missing the obvious solution!  This is an opportunity for Mothman to have that overhead crane in his shop that he has always wanted.

This is the problem with really cool scrap, trying to find a use for something after you have gotten it home.  You are trying to fit a use to the scrap rather than finding something that fills a need.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

This is the problem opportunity with really cool scrap...

This is how I see it B)

28 minutes ago, Stash said:

Mount it high on something tall and strong, hang a really really big plant from it.

Steve

I like this idea, and now I envision hanging a massive set of wind chimes made from 10" or 12" diameter pipe.

In that configuration just put the two threaded ends together and you have a yard art heart. 

I like the improvised anvil idea. 

Problem with big heavy wind chimes is you need big heavy wind to move them. I made a pretty heavy set and i think I heard them once from some very heavy wind we had. Then again if you get more creative with the design it could be moved by lighter wind. 

Hmm. How about making one hook into a door knocker. 

I was going to make wind chime from RR rail special for the obnoxious neighbor who no longer lives just down the hill. I'd planned on "tuning" them to recognizable notes and making a wind spinner/clapper so they'd play a tune when the wind blew. Hopefully something insulting maybe from LoonyTunes cartoon. She moved so it wasn't necessary and I like the folk who live there now.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

How about a scrap art Orca fly fisherman?

Or a huge, wild-eyed, monomaniacal looking Captain Ahab sculpture dangeling one of those hooks from a cane pole, and a vicious Moby Dick sticking half out of the ground (ocean), coming for the bait.... Or his other leg.

Hmm to transgress the Mouse; you could make an overscale Captain Hook sculpture and keep one in reserve for when they come and take it away...

I believe I forgot to mention that my last scrapyard trip also turned up a Lodge cast iron loaf pan in great condition---looks like someone used it as a cat/dog food feeder and then it went to the scrapyard.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:21 PM, Daswulf said:

Problem with big heavy wind chimes is you need big heavy wind to move them.

Too bad I don't live near the coast. I grew up in Minnesota and I think a set of massive wind chimes on a bluff overlooking Lake Superior would be pretty epic. No shortage of wind there.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:57 PM, JHCC said:

Stationary chimes with clappers light enough to be moved by the wind might be an answer.  

This might be THE answer.

I like the pirate/nautical themed ideas though.

George, I grew up a ways west of the Twin Cities in the Minnesota River Valley not too far from the edge of the Great Plains (depending on whose geographical region map you look at) outside a tiny town with a German name. When I was young we would make several day trips each summer to the North Shore. I would crawl around on the gravel beaches of Gitche Gumee for hours looking for agates. Good times. I miss the North sometimes, it felt a little more wild and remote up there. My lady likes it warm though, so I guess I'm a wild-eyed southern boy now.

I took my wife (Florida born and bred) there and she was really surprised and loved it.  Even took her canoeing in the Boundary Waters.  She also has fallen in love with Wyoming in general and Laramie in particular.  She was stunned to learn that the all time record high in Laramie is 94 degrees and that she will never see triple digits again in her life unless we travel to it.  There are a lot worse places to spend the summer than the North Shore.  Winter, maybe not so much.

As you and your family drove up to the North Shore you drove right past my grandparents' house on London Road.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."