• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally getting a round to it- this followed me home Saturday. Nothing was happening when I turned the handle, but the handle turned when I spun the fan. Pulled the thing apart, the main handle gear was spinning on the shaft. It seems the rollpin that kept the gear affixed to the shaft had pulled out. It was quick and easy to re align things and send the rollpin home. What a nice quiet, smooth blower this is. I moved the Champion 400 into the bullpen and put this in its place. I spilled a little crank case oil moving it, but seems very happy there. My bathroom exhaust fan blower might have some competition.

Steve

IMG_1297.JPG

I would love to have an old Lincoln. Nice welders. 

Tried it out for the first time today. After 30+ years i can still, sorta, run a bead with a stick. Only used wire feed, gas, or forge since i was a youngun. A little practice and i think it will serve my purposes. 

Rotary DC welders were once the bees knees for professional welders. I saw once and ad for a Lincoln "bullet" 250 amp 415v 3 phase welder and had to buy it. After a very expensive overhaul at the welders repair workshop, i have it in the shop more collecting dust than burning rods. The generator is powered by an electric motor and the machine is very loud. A bit like a high pressure pump. The welds however are fantastic.  

Here is a photo of one, identical to mine. 

image.png.ff974abab516f57f6ed001cf32773f9f.png

I’ve never seen one like that, but have used several of the big horizontal ones. I’m not sure of the name, I always heard them called welder generators, but they were a beast! Burn 3/16 -1/2 inch rods or arc gauge all day long with no problem. Sounds like an airplane firing up when you started it. 

Alright, so i got this new welder as i posted, a little product review.

Seems to work good. It will do what i need it to do. Keep in mind i do not do a lot of welding. Ran a good bead or at least as good as i can do after 30 years.  Kept having to repeat "tiny horseshoes, tiny horseshoes." to my self. But anywho here is the bead. It is a wrap eye hawk i am doing and trouble with the welds. So i figured hey fire up that welder. 

20191125_151330.thumb.jpg.d5610f83a805d082b7daa4fa992aed78.jpg

As i said been a while since i used a stick welder and this is before clean up but the welder seems to do what i want it to do. So for a light duty welder it seems to work good. 

Last week I attended the dispersal auction of Albert Paleys shop.  I bought a tray lot of small die grinders which was pretty much a crap shoot - I know one is seized and probably junk but the others spin freely and may be just fine.  I hope to check them out today.  I had gone with the hopes of buying a tire bender or hoop roller.  There were three in the auction, a relic condition most likely blacksmith made one, one on a pedestal base looking more like a jewelers rolling mill and with very limited capacity and a larger older serious machine which is the one I had hoped to buy.  The winning bids were $50, $1000 and $1600 respectively and I came home with the $50 one.  It needs a fair amount of work but should be useful.  It came on heavy duty 4 wheel cart which will be handy.  Pictures coming.

Broke my long-standing “No Shopping on Black Friday” rule, but only because the industrial surplus place was having a massive sale. Two heavy-duty steel dollies (one of which is now supporting my chop saw, and the other of which will probably become a new base for my gas forge) and a nice old toolbox, all for under ten bucks. 

E77F1334-B078-4747-88C4-EED55296475C.jpeg