I Forge Iron

It followed me home

671jungle, where I live those trailer hitches are made from a $100 bill, or at least that is what they sell for used here. The only things you are missing are the cam tensioners that clamp onto the trailer frame. Even so, it should sell fast at $50-$75.

The arms are spring steel. I have a few of just the adjustable legs without the ball assembly. To me it looks like they would make a nifty bending jig. BUT, I would post that one you have for sale and use the funds to buy more goodies. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/19/2019 at 5:24 PM, BillyBones said:

How much syrup does one get from 1320 taps? 

Highly variable.  Depends a huge amount on the weather, and to a lesser extent the health, size and location of the tree, and if you are running a vacuum pump.  Really rough average is 15 galons of sap per tap, then it takes between 35 and 45 gallons of sap to boil down to 1 galon of syrup, depending on the sugar content of the sap.  But it's worth it!

My neighbor put up new railing on her porch. Before i could ask she asked me if i wanted them. This the good railing not that light stuff. The spindles are all 1/2" square bar and the scrolls are 1/8" x 1/2" flat. I am sure i can figure out something to do with it.

20190921_181116.thumb.jpg.5175444b0287ba48a8bd04be149d2c78.jpg

While i was getting one piece from next to her garage i noticed some old concrete fence posts. These were made i know in the late 1800's or early 1900's when all these houses were moved to their current location. They still have the fence mounting hardware and if they are like the ones my grandparents had it should be wrought iron. I will have to sweet talk her out of those now. 

40 minutes ago, Chris The Curious said:

What are the races made of,

I'm not sure. I'd have to look it up so  I'll take Randy's word for it. The outer race in particular is what I was talking about. It looks like a pretty good sized piece of steel.

Pnut

There was a member here that had manufacturing information for bearings. Once they got to a "large" size the alloy changed, and some were I believe case hardened. If I remember right it had to do with cost of manufacturing them. I was at my local King Bearing one time just shooting the bull and the counterman looked up a 72" bearing to see if it was in stock. Yep, and it had a note to return the old one for rebuilding.

The same kind of situation with forklift forks. The smaller sizes are "usually" 4140, 4340, but once they hit a certain size the alloy changes.

That was Patrick, who used to be a metallurgist for Timken Bearings; the larger bearing RACES tended to be case hardened and the smaller ones 52100. I don't recall the cut off either.

I picked up a Big Box store hilder for the short metal lengths they sell----thought it work well to hold short lengths of stock...local scrapyard was selling at 20 US cents a pound and buying at  1.5 cents a pound. (Working on cleaning the shop up since I'll be able to use it a lot more now that I will be working about 5 miles away!)

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Working on cleaning the shop up since I'll be able to use it a lot more now that I will be working about 5 miles away!

Good for you. I had noticed a lack of posts on your part over the last week or so. Pre-employment stuff I'm sure.

Laynne

Glad to hear you are gainfully employed again Thomas. 5 miles away? That is withing bicycle distance now. I used to bike to work when I was at the Jelly Belly Candy Co to combat the effects of working there :D That was just under 5 miles and took about 20 minutes depending on the traffic lights (15 minutes by car). My current commute is 75 miles each way.

I had some goodies follow me home recently from yard sales, but most are not smithing related. Picked up a new USA made 10# hand sledge for $3.