I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I use molasses on old tools my plumber son in law disinters and brings to me. It is slow but works a treat. 

Here is one I had in the juice for a couple of weeks. SRANSW = State Rail Authority New South Wales. 

image.thumb.png.3e6913657c5aa8bcad17529f40db7c60.png

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took my daughter to the flea market and all I found (other than the mandatory kettle corn for my better half) that I was compelled to buy were these 3" brass balls. Pictured is one on each end (different size holes). They will probably end up as eyes on a larger sculpture. Slow day since there was rain in the AM.

20190602_163922.thumb.jpg.40b924e3c8b83e1b5ce602fba20a5e51.jpg

The ridged pipe cutters are still being made. I use the 3 wheel when I need good square cuts on pipe I will be welding and the 4 wheel cutters in tight places where I can only work from one side of the pipe. 

On 5/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Daswulf said:

You'll be blown away how well it works. The smaller brushes are still good for smaller work. 

Sorry the intromission. I'm from Argentina, and where I live (and in my whole country, it seems) block brushes are impossible to find. Smaller brushes work well for removing scales? Is there any alternative to a block brush?

There are the regular wire hand brushes used for either weld cleaning (sold in welding supply stores or store sections) and also those found general paint supply or general hardware sections of stores. Usually around 12" (.3meters) in length. And the more and tougher the bristles the better. Also only use the wood handled ones as the plastic ones don't work well around heat. 

These style work and I used them for years before finally moving up to a butcher block brush. Tho I still use these for smaller forgings. The smaller brushes just wear out faster and aren't as aggressive as a butcher block brush. 

On the butcher block brushes, are there any local butchers you could ask if they use them and where they get them? I got mine from Amazon, I don't know an online source for Argentina. 

A small manual grinder. Announed on Facebook locallu (less than 10 min drive). At $5 it was a an easy decision and will be useful for my portable setup.

It turns smoothly. Any advice on how to clean up the stone?

20190604_194537.thumb.jpg.769baf42b909986cddad1f2080f95275.jpg

Edited by Arthur210
Made the image (uploaded from my phone) smaller.

Set up table to bring a piece of steel up to it square and grind on it or use a commercial wheel dresser with the carbide teeth. Either way you'll probably need a rest of some sort.

I just passed up on one of those because it sounded pretty crunchy inside. :wacko:

This one sounds fine. Smooth turning and a bit of noise from the gears at higher speed, but I think that's normal for these. I may have to add some oil or grease in it, I haven't had time to inspect it more closely to determine which.

It took me several days (weeks?) in my spare time, but I finally got through this entire thread.  Most of what follows me home is roadkill.  Occasionally stuff gifted from my Father-in-law or my father.  This has happened over the past decade or so (and still not set up to smash steel).  Gotta finish putting together my anvil, along with mounting my vise.  And of course, build the wooden box to put dirt and bricks in for my forge...

Well, it was Sale Saturday at the industrial surplus warehouse, and that means that JHCC was on the road early. I got this inverted hydraulic press for $47, which I hope to convert to a light-duty forging press:

82E5BDB1-29F6-4640-92AE-3804D6DE07DF.jpeg

Also a nice DeWalt 4-1/2” angle grinder (which miraculously still had its guard) for a tenner:

1B33DCE1-E4EA-481E-9B26-40C6B18111BE.jpeg

Can you read the GPM/PSI specs on the hyd pump? Judging by the apparent size of the rod in the piston it'll push a lot harder than it'll pull. However it'll pull faster than it pushes. Speed vs. tonnage might be a wash. Either way it'll do good work once it's modified. Sure be fun to make the press.

Wear leather if you use that wire brush, it'll throw bristles but it'll beat the country gravy out of hand brushing.

Looks like a good day at the surplus warehouse. Glad I don't live close enough to browse in person. 

Frosty The Lucky.

So i was a sittin at the house today and my dad calls. He says he has this old gang box in his shed and if i want it. I said but of course i want it. So i went and got it.

20190609_145539.thumb.jpg.b9cb375e913661e2e7635c680f533006.jpg

I went to pick it up and my dad says its heavy, it full of stuff. I said dont you want to take it out. He said no, take it all. So off i went home with it. So lets open up the mystery box.

20190609_145835.thumb.jpg.a5ff50cc2aacc92bb8913cf68fae82e6.jpg

3 old jack stands, body dolley, 3 trowels, 

20190609_145841.thumb.jpg.7dd43b4819cf11820ca69bb45f6d0512.jpg

A socket set, 1/2 drive, some threaded rod, a piece of 5/16 plated though, a sign from WPAFB, and the mouse. 

20190609_145903.thumb.jpg.cba884f9ba0cad500bd3db60959ad936.jpg

It is a real dead mouse i found just like that...guess he learned of his peanut allergy to late.

But wait there is more.

20190609_150817.thumb.jpg.831b5d62bcf54ca52a5e20c183aef1e9.jpg

These 2 old tool boxes, with peanuts and...

20190609_150825.thumb.jpg.4d2fb9741bc6cf517ad85ce4b703a6ac.jpg

The old drill, 3 old planes, auger bit, hole saw, more on the files...

20190609_150838.thumb.jpg.fe33821fdadb8fbc8475467bf8a8b37e.jpg

5 old files, some old drill bits.

20190609_150848.thumb.jpg.2e49b54bcb33aca3c63ba795b0cf5411.jpg

couple more drill bits, some old wood chisels, an adjustable drill ( i have 2 other all 3 made by Springfield) old screw driver, adjustable wrench, another trowel, hatchet handle, and last but not least part of a ratchet strap. 

Sounds like fun treasure! 

One of these days I need to go back through my family's old tool boxes from the 1800's. I went through them when I was younger but thankfully did not disturb much. Unfortunately a whole large box of hand wood planes was ruined by mouse nesting before I ever went through any of it. 

Took Ayana to the flea market today. Only got about a 1# ball peen and some rusty wrenches.also a swing for her and this i bolt that I plan to convert for dishing.

20190609_202900.thumb.jpg.8bc73605fcbc94f03de41345c715b776.jpg

Those lifting eyes and tow toroids are on my "anytime they are cheap *BUY*" list. I have a series of ascending sized ones hanging by my screwpress and a box full of different sized tow balls that fit my tool holder on the press too.

Only tools I picked up today was a small gouge hone and a pike hand hone US$2.50 total.  (Also 2 flats of mangoes, 3 loves bread, 3 loves raisin bread, 4 containers of english muffins...Freezer is full for a couple of months...US$13 total)

On this one on asking, the guy said $2. I should have just gave it to him but my auto response blurted out if he would take $1. :rolleyes: he grumbally agreed. 

Ah well. He coulda said no and got the extra buck. I do hate to haggle when the price is just too fair or good. The auto haggle kicks in once in a while. 

Generally I set a price in my mind and if they match or are under it I don't haggle. If it's close or is something that I have bought a number of at my price I will counter with the price I am willing to pay.   If it's twice as much or otherwise way out of my desired price. I'll usually laugh and put the item back.  (If they counter with how their outrageous price is really a good one---*and*---I already have a number of the items I have bought at my price. I'll sometimes show then and say well I already bought these at my price...)  Central Ohio was the happy hunting grounds for smithing stuff for me. I'm lucky I stocked up as it's hard to find and expensive out here!

Billy, that's a great treasure chest you have there. What is a gang box? I'm assuming it was used by a gang of workers - railway gang perhaps? Obviously your Dad has done some concreting/tiling. All handy stuff.

Loved the pic of the unfortunate mouse. That J.H. Williams wrench is a scrap lizard just waiting to happen.