Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG_20190314_174745.thumb.jpg.e3d33f657634215059db1840e34166a2.jpg
My landlord was using it for a doorstop. I gave her a brick to replace it. Thought I could use it for cutting and straightening on . Even has a rod to sink in a stump. 

1 3/4x5x6 in.plate 

D-2, incredibly tough stuff. Looking up the heat treating process it looks like you need a science degree. I am pretty sure this is beyond my current abilities to do anything with. So for now it will be a #6 paper weight until my skills get better or i can trade it for something more useful to me. 

The college’s Theater Department came through again! The TD sent me an email with the subject line “Free Metal”, which turned out to be a prison door (from a recent production of “Dialogues of the Carmelites”) made from schedule 40 pipe and flat bar:

9F3CE302-8E58-474E-A5F5-FCF41F80256E.jpeg

Which I cut up and lashed to my car during my lunch break:

4E92893D-077C-4099-BE4B-E4316D8D1537.jpeg

So, not quite all the way home, but in transit.

My little lot from the steam gas and horse show fleamarket. 

The tongs are 4' long. For $20. I couldn't pass them up.  The light I plan to use in a sculpture and the guy gave me a nice reusable bag to put it in lol. Also can't pass on a functional vise for $5

20190519_132541.thumb.jpg.0c99834095152fa965a095b25f9e5372.jpg

On 5/14/2019 at 2:35 AM, JHCC said:

Another book. *The Backyard Blacksmith*

My wife bought me this for Christmas- my first blacksmithing book. I personally found it absolutely excellent. Might be a bit basic for you JHCC, but for a beginner the descriptions and diagrams were fantastic, and there are loads of great ideas for early projects (including tools and tooling) to make.

I'd recomment it to anyone.

7 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

I saw those tongs there but I couldn't see me needing a pair that big. Lol

Remember you can change them to what you do need. They look well made. The bits and reins can be modified.

Pnut (Mike)

They look very well made. I'm using my phone so I can't see them so well but the bosses look excellent. Almost like they were made with a swage. Good score for twenty bucks. I'd have snatched em up with the quickness.

Pnut (Mike)

That's the guy I got the hammer and axe from. I got lucky and found the cross pein and it wasn't $50 but $10. He wanted $15 for the axe but I offered 20 for both. 

You see the Wilton bullet vise he wanted $600 for? That's crazy, if people buy them for that then I got one for sale right now. 

And the $1200 anvil that have half inch gouges in the face several inches long. 

Thats the guy. Might have been a few ok hammers for ok prices, but nothing I needed.  Before that guy I picked up the vise and two hammers from a different guy there with a side table with "this half anythings $2. And this half anythings $5."

I'm kinda thinking I should have hit the atm and got out a little more to buy the big shears off the guy that had the big tongs I got but I doubted I'd ever use them and didnt want to carry them around. I'm sure he would have taken $40. for them.