• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Home from the flea market and these followed me:

image.thumb.png.923eb4f2fab7c5a0c0408771c5512b24.png

Averaged a buck a piece. 

I few questions if I may:

What is the piece/pin on the bottom?

What is the vice grip second from  the bottom for? 

Have you seen the levered snip and for what? (has a PAT 1909 label and Mfr I can't make out)

Can I use the snips to cut hot metal... will it soften/ruin them?

Anybody use the drills (on the top) as punches? 

Picked up a bunch of other stuff, especially different chisels. By the time I got back to the car, my arms were falling off. Had not planned on going so i did not bring a backpack.

Any other comments always welcome.

Yeah, I know, a lot of questions for one picture but this is the best place to ask the experts!

Regards, 

Zeke

Good haul...

The bottom is an alignment pin for installing manual clutch plates, can be forged into other tools. The next up above that is a pair of welding vise grips. The star drills make excellent punches, drifts and chisels. I wouldn't use snips to cut hot metal.

Second what Irondragon said. 

Those vicegrips are mostly for sheetmetal but can be opened enough for square bar. Functional vicegrips for around $1 are a deal. 

Never saw snips like the ones third from bottom. No, not for hot cutting. Use a chisel or hardy for that. And if over the anvil use a sacrificial mild steel plate under the piece being cut with a chisel. 

Thank you gents.

I haven't done much welding and knew the vice grips were sorta job specific, but I'll put them to a good alternative use. I never saw a levered snip before and it is better than the snip above it. It needs sharping and i'll search here for the best way.

The flea market was great (Kane County, il) and almost everything I bought averaged about a buck. I did find one large (2 lb?) ball peen and dropped $7 as it fit a need.

Regards, 

Zeke

Greetings Zeke,

The sheet metal vice grips can be made into a very useful tool. I’ve made several for my students . Simply weld them to an angle iron about a foot long as pictured. What it does is converts your holding stock in the vice vertically to horizontal.  ATTENTION BLADE SMITHS. They work super for working on a blade horizontally. I use the them all the time to cut flat stock with the portaban. Nice haul for not much bucks.  HAVE FUN

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

31134165-7B33-400C-B000-E71ECB63652D.jpeg

3B2129DC-5301-4838-A716-30370F36F599.jpeg

Jim Coke:

Nice! With that example I'm thinking welding on a stick for the hardie will also let me hold sheet or flat/blade right on the anvil.

Question: Are those two different vice grips. Top one looks like the hooked jaw is welded to the angle and the second looks like the flat is welded. Both would be great.

Thank you 

Zeke

Greetings Zeke,

I have several , Two different .. Just make up one of my style anvil hold downs it will hold sheet ,round bar long stock etc. Notice the off set for longer stock. Now ya got some projects. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

3308F856-71EC-4C76-AD43-EBB1EDB05AF6.jpeg

7ED49235-7318-49FB-A3EA-1849D51EE6AF.jpeg

6C613537-C18D-4267-B377-9F8D1FE98415.jpeg

mini anvil, 3,5kg weight. the maker is Brockhaus, it has a small decall that writes: " Brockhaus Qualitat aus stahl geschmiedet". Translates to " Brockhaus quality from forged steel"

k44GRHv.jpg

LTAvdTl.jpg

n5m61xn.jpg with some tooling included

(crappy cellphone photos i just noticed)

Fleamarket(s) Canutillo TX & Las Cruces NM:

Decided to  pull the trigger on the large piece of C clamp to make a hold down for my largest anvil.  I will weld a piece of 1.5" outside Square tubing to it to fit the anvils' hardy holes and then slot it for a cross tapered wedge to pull it tight.  Now to convince my wife to let me pull the welder's plug through the kitchen window to the old stove plug during the thanksgiving day holidays...

Ballpeen: hit the price point where I buy any decent one to throw n the bucket as stock for projects. (US$1)

Damascus belt knife, ladder pattern,  jimping on tang spine, decorative rivets, bead blasted micarta handle---unsigned but at US$20 someone will get it as a Christmas gift! (I sure couldn't make the sheath for that amount...)