• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

took a trip to the scrap yard, did real well!! a few hammer heads, a double bit axe head, a massive drill bit, a really neat Red Arrow vice, some other odds and ends, oh yeah, and a WWII era bomb (except im not sure if it was a bomb, or mortar, or really what it was, other than that it goes Boom!) If anyone knows anything about it, Im all ears. Also while I was there I saw a massive shear, about the size of a car, at least 1940's I'm guessing. Only thing I remember bout it was it was manufactured in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

IMG_0395[1].JPG

IMG_0397[1].JPG

IMG_0398[1].JPG

IMG_0399[1].JPG

IMG_0400[1].JPG

IMG_0401[1].JPG

IMG_0405[1].JPG

IMG_0394[1].JPG

Great haul Mark! I particularly like that length of cable or maybe twisted rod would be a better description. Your scrap yard is far better than mine. They only let you pick through to organized, nicely stacked stuff. All the small random bits, like hammer heads and axe heads are elsewhere. Seems like they’re far more interested in selling new steel. 

LBS.,

The bomb you bought is most probably a rifle grenade. (we used to know them as a rifle propelled grenades).

Make sure that ALL the propellant and explosive material has been removed.

Try,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_rifle_grenade

also,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_grenade

For a little more information on the subject.

Regards,

SLAG.

I was dropping off a water heater and some unusable galvanized pipe at my local yard the other day and was quite amused to see a fair number of Ridgid power tools and cases in the pile of random scrap — amused because the Ridgid factory is two blocks away. 

Went by the larger fleamarket hunting sledges; last time I was there there was a dozen; this time none, sigh

However I did buy a coffee can of wrenches most unplated! for US$5 Billings, Hins Dale, Wards Master,...I need to make some cat hooks for my daughter the veterinarian.

LargeWrenchescrop.jpg.3230f1447dfefb0e7751b18be8fac73d.jpg

and a bunch of punched sheet metal ones:

smallWrencehescrop.jpg.eea9b009b4499d2717672a5de64fb82d.jpg

Ranchman- well if you make it down here sometime I'll let you know where it is. I like it alot, I would have to say it is probably my favorite place to go.

SLAG- any reason why you think it is a rifle propelled grenade and not a mortar? Its just that everyone I have asked said it is a mortar, and the Rifle propelled grenades look smaller, mine weights about 20-30lbs. 

Reeltree- at first I was confused on what you were seeing, but yes it does, haha!

Mr. Powers- seems like that's how things go here too haha. something will be popular, but when you need it you can find one of them. Just let us know if you find anymore. 

Littleblacksmith

oh, by the way Das, if you look on the ground in the picture of the large drill bit, you'll see the 14lb straight pein you sent me;)

LBS,

OOPS!

I did not realize that the bomb weighed 20-30 pounds.

The other folks are right and I was WRONG. 

It is a mortar bomb.

I trust that you have carefully checked that the original contents have been removed.

Sometime even the SLAG is wrong.

Regards,

SLAG.

:o The SLAG wrong??! 

Littleblacksmith 

you sound like my mom haha:) but it's true, she is hardly ever wrong.

Littleblacksmith 

LBS, you have a couple of items that will come in real handy. The pinch bar is one of them - the long bar with the wedge end on it. I use my quite often when I have to shift heavy items.  That cast iron pan would make a nice comal for tortillas. The last one Das can probably teach you how to use, it is the body and fender tool with the curved end. I always heard them called slapper spoons.

I'd find a way to get that giant shear back to the shop and running.  I absolutely hate cutting little 6" lengths for the hooks I make, but cutting them with that big ol' beast would sure make things fun!!  Likely to see me running all over the place finding things I could cut with it!

On 3/3/2018 at 8:10 PM, littleblacksmith said:

oh yeah, and a WWII era bomb

It is a practice bomb (search images, "practice bomb") that is dropped from an aircraft.  I have that exact same model. Next time, leave it in the scrap yard.  The fact that you do not know exactly what it is, should be incentive enough to leave it be.  Live Ordnance can and will find its way into the scrap yard.  We have a problem out here with UneXploded Ordnance from bygone days. the problem with these old munitions is that they only become more dangerous and unstable as they age.

Your particular model may indeed have contained an explosive "spotting charge"

Some fantastic loot, otherwise,  by the way!

Vaughn T, that would one fine overkill of a shear.

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum

Gents, about the explosive I’m totally agree with Anachronist 58, -even the shell is corroded and the body empty, the ignitor could have still enough explosives contained to make a lot of damage. So get rid of the bombshell as soon as possible.

An item like this here in Europe in a private garage and knowledge of the authorities will bring you an intervention of whole the police force and a bomb squad. And after that a real bunch of inconvenience :(

Keep it safe.  Greetings, Hans

8 hours ago, SLAG said:

Sometime even the SLAG is wrong.

Impossible :D

Hard to tell if that's a spoon or not BigGun. It has sort of the shape but I haven't seen any that curved. Usually they are straighter. Still a bunch of good stuff. 

That 14lber is pretty cool LBS, glad you got it handled. Put it to some good hard use. :) 

Thomas, that's a good bunch of wrenches for the forge or welding up. 

Herr Richter,

Has stated concerning the SLAG being wrong. Namely, he wrote "impossible".

WRONGG Mein Freund.

Impossible no,

Plausible yes.

If we do not make mistakes we do not learn. I'm still learning.

Your probable, high opinion of me is appreciated and reciprocated.

(auf wieder sehen)

SLAG.

Herr Powers,

As always you are correct.

But Herr Richter who is of German heritage, and now living in Belgium speaks Dutch. (he had stated that his upcoming blacksmithing seminar brochure was only written in Dutch.

(Dutch & Flemish are fairly similar). And the two main languages in Belgium are Flemish and French.)

I was just trying to be friendly hence the latest error.

But your eagle eye is noteworthy and appreciated.

Carry on forging!

SLAG.

Guten Tag Herr Slag,

This several years at Rammstein Air force Base (!?) or similar doing very well to you. They made not only good soldiers but also good philosophes I see.

As a diplomate I say your both right, born and raced behind the iron curtain in former East Germany yes, the GDR (you know the one won all the doping Olympic gold medals in the 70s & 80s) I emigrate to Holland lived there and run my own business after de wall was fallen (1990). Now settled in Belgium for the last 10 years. Quit confusing but funny. As you see I ‘take candy from tree puffs’.

All the time my anvil and my field forge join me.

Always a pleasure to read your contributions.

Mit der grössten Hochachtung verbleibe ich, Ihr, Hans