• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love when maintenance at work starts “cleaning” their spaces out. I found a few things in the trash I could make use of but a couple items are gonna be boxed up and shipped out to another ‘smith. The shoe is a size 12 and the paper is a piece of legal printing paper for size reference. 

The black thing on the bottom left of the picture with the bolt is some kind of rubbery material about 1/16” thick and about 12”x55” (all estimates). Not sure what good it’ll be but I’m sure I’ll find something to do with it.  The thing with the cord is a magnetic heater. I have a couple ideas what I could do with it. 

722DD1F5-7B96-477D-B972-8AF5A440E7D6.jpeg

BFAB3479-F023-4C84-A7D6-7DF2B4618356.jpeg

Nice haul Michael. That thing bottom left is a CV joint. You might be able to get it apart and get rid of the rubber boot. Just wear gloves as it will be a greasy mess. The steel used on those is usually mid to higher carbon from what I've found. The ones I deal with are off of cars. Not sure what that one might have been from. 

Those bucket teeth look useful for tools or something. 

Reeltree, that’s what I assumed and verified when I got home yesterday.  According to the attached sticker, I need to have it rechecked even though it feels and looks solid to me. Even though I payed $0 for this extinguisher I still wanna have it looked at. I’d hate to fill it and it blow up in some way. At least if I have it checked out and get it stickered I can have the peace of mind to know it wasn’t my fault. 

image.thumb.jpg.e5c2eec8f2cc3ce5a80437748073d88e.jpg

Daswulf, the cv joint came from some forklift at work (either a large outdoor one or a warehouse size). The rubber is blown on it and there’s is no grease left in it. I have another one that’s just the ball side that’s horribly disfigured and no longer a ball end lol. As far as the bucket teeth goes I have a couple ideas kickin around. :) 

JHCC, I had to look for a picture to see what you were talking about. That’s a cool idea and I might have to try that if I find some of those. 

M. C.,

Great information. Thanks.

Esee.,

You can, alternatively, do a spark test. There are spark charts on this site for identification. A stone and a rotary grinder (e.g. Dremel) is all you would need to run that test. (or any stationary grinder.)

SLAG.

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Are you familiar on how they are mounted and what the sliding tab is for?

For the most part I am familiar with how they are mounted, the sliding tab is going to take some work. I remember using this type of vise in school where the tab would be used for (I think) over sized stock. Other than that I would need to RTFM (read the fine manual).

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Remember that the inner faces of both jaws would typically be lined with boards, to keep the metal from marring the workpiece. 

That I do remember and the ones used in school were "well used" enough that we would use new scrap wood as a second buffer.

1 hour ago, Marc1 said:

Cast iron just from the way it broke. It would be an interesting project to make a new jaw.

I don't think I will make a new jaw, Acme Screw in the hand is worth 2 at the scrap yard, but I do think I will do something to add on to the broken part to make it more usable.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Everyone in Alabama, stay warm because it will be very cold this weekend down to the teens. Or as Frosty might call it T-Shirt weather.

Ernest

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

Hint: It's called a "dog".

I have to wonder how many different times the word dog shows up not talking about something with 4 legs and a tail.

This is from Wikipedia so take it for what it is worth.

In engineering, a dog is a tool or part of a tool that prevents movement or imparts movement by offering physical obstruction or engagement of some kind. It may hold another object in place by blocking it, clamping it, or otherwise obstructing its movement. Or it may couple various parts together so that they move in unison – the primary example of this being a flexible drive to mate two shafts in order to transmit torque. Some devices use dog clutches to lock together two spinning components. In a manual transmission, the dog clutches, or "dogs" lock the selected gear to the shaft it rotates on. Unless the dog is engaged, the gear will simply freewheel on the shaft.

This word usage is a metaphor derived from the idea of a dog (animal) biting and holding on, the "dog" name derived from the basic idea of how a dog jaw locks on, by the movement of the jaw, or by the presence of many teeth. In engineering the "dog" device has some special engineering work when making it – it is not a simple part to make as it is not a simple bar or pipe, and the metal used in its construction is likely to be special rather than regular steel.

There is potential for confusion as "dog tensioners" are levers that are named due to the shape of the lever appearing as a dog leg, as the lever is in a pantograph arrangement, or "dog trailers", which are named due to the use of multiple trailers for transporting animal cages.

RATS! This is likely to take off like an Irish Setter, the OP will only catch glimpses as it dashes by on a new trail.

Coming back to Eseeman's post. "Who let the dogs out." Is more probably an engineering term than about hounds. On the other hand both fit so . . . 

Frosty The Lucky.