• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Saturday Dec 30 I stopped at my favorite scrapyard, it's about 8 miles from my shop, the owner smiled and told me he was saving something for me and took me out to the pile and showed me a 50# Vulcan anvil in fair using condition. I said I'd buy it how much?  US$20 then while I was hunting the piles a fellow drove up and started throwing steel out of his pickup.  I pointed out to him that he was throwing out a set of showing tongs---alligators--- and he said they weren't any good anymore; so I grabbed them.  The bitts were soft and I filed down the aggressive teeth on them and they work a treat for bladesmithing holding stock a bit smaller than my 1/4" holding short bitted shoeing tongs I use for holding tangs.  The scrapyard owner gave them to me as a Holiday present...so in return I bought a piece of 5/8" plate with a hole blown through it from the explosives test site near by.

From our weekly foray to the trash compactor.

Some cable for Damascus billets, assorted pieces of plate and 3 shaft's 1 1/2 inch in diameter 11 inches long with some type of cam on one end, probably make good anvil tools.

From a local junk shop a 42 inch in diameter by 3 inch wide wagon rim (probably wrought iron) weighs 45 pounds that cost ten dollars U.S. and 2 files and a large box wrench. .

100_1927.thumb.JPG.68d0f2a0bdbc0aa331b9ef226da20cc6.JPG

100_1929.thumb.JPG.2925c8e5e5a9d06b3d3745c820513ed8.JPG

Hi Irondragon,

those 3 shafts with cams are air brake s cams the cams are what actually spread the brake shoes apart. Probably off a semi or end dump. I've dragged a few home after replacing them but never made anything from them should be good stock for some project.

Out this away I'm running about 9 wrought to 1 mild steel.  I'm probably high grading as the newer mild steel ones are more often still associated with the wagon wheel and so are not in the scrap stream yet.  I do find WI stuff that was made from wagon tire as it was a common scrap material at one time. The cross section is distinctive...

These didn't quite follow me home but they were waiting at the gate to greet me. My son works as a fitter/turner in Townsville and he dropped these ball bearings off this morning. He repairs big industrial pumps and keeps these for me.

They make good eyes for junk sculptures, but I have yet to find a good use for them in blacksmith work. I'm guessing the metal is high carbon. Any ideas?

The golf ball is there for size comparison.

bearings2.JPG

bearings1.JPG