• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Gotta start somewhere!

Very true. I just found in welding it's good to have backup consumables. Nothing worse then being in the middle of a project and running out. Especially when you are on a roll and inspiration is peaked. 

I know your pain. I had to fix a handrail for a museum yesterday just as the school was closing. Running around to find (1) (a) a welder with tips AND wire (1)(b) a working welder with tips and the right wire, but so little left i could see the core of the spool (2)(a) a tank of mix gas that was NOT empty and unmarked (%&$# lazy students) (2)(b) the tools to fix the leaking gas line on the working welder with tips and the right wire (double %&$#), change out bottles, regulators, etc., all in order to (3) run a grand total of 4 inches of bead on the brackets I fabbed up.

I finished up with just a few wraps of wire left on the spool, and the brand new Security officer trying to lock me in the courtyard, having already locked all the exterior doors so that I could not re-enter the building. And my wife is mad because I am not answering my phone during all this, I am late for dinner, and my installing this Saturday morning interferes with her plans for me.

They say that no good deed goes unpunished, but at this rate waterboarding is next.

For me, it was less traumatic and more amusing. I’m simply a hobbyist and fairly new to welding, so there I was, happily welding along when things just stopped working. OH NO! Did I blow the fuse? No. Did I trip the overheat protector? No. Did I birdnest the wire? No. WHAT’S GOING ON?!??

Wait a sec...the spool’s empty.

Never mind. 

Today I got a decent haul of small square bar, and some slightly thicker round bar. Offcuts from a local engineering firm.

YuS2htE.jpg

Hard to tell the scale from the picture, but the bin is about 18" diameter.

Most of it would be about 1/4", so i'll have to find some suitable projects for the smaller stock. The round would be about 1/2"

This was my granddads. Champion blower and cast iron pan.   My dad does not remember him doin any forging so why he had it is anybody's guess.

Dad said it was kept outside for many years but it sure does not look like it. It still has almost all of the original finish on it.

Blower works very well and sounds good.    Now I have to figure out a lining for it.

20171111_094544 (2).jpg

Helping an older friend with some heavy bookbinding gear that was left to him by another binder. Lent a hand, mostly a strong back, to some of the other binders and caligraphers sorting thru tons of type, printing gear etc in a house filled with stuff.  When we were done the executor of the estate offered me the rolling scaffold and dolly for free for the help.

I'm painting my house and the scaffold couldn't have shown up at a better time. It'll save me a lot of ladder work, and the dolly is heavy, I think a printing press was on it, 18 by 20 inches, 5 inch solid steel wheels.  Not sure what's going on it yet.

Scaffold.JPG

scaffoldcart.JPG