• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only one available. So i bought all they had.;)

Silly guys wanted $99.00 for the rest.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, JHCC said:

Excellent! Now to hook it up to your power hammer!

Have to build one first.

That is a idea though.

Mel

On 8/17/2017 at 6:14 PM, Daswulf said:

Found a post vise on Craigslist today and told my friend in need of one about it. We stopped down after work and got to talking and I came home with these treasures. The block is 2"x4"x9" with 3/4" holes.  Some usable tongs, star drills in all sizes ( great to make into punches) and other scrap art goodies. And a 4ton portapower not pictured.

Nice haul.  I got an original old 10 ton Blackhawk Porto-Power with original case from my neighbor last fall for merely helping them do some lawn work, cleaning up their pecan tree.  Along with that I got a bunch of body hammers and dollies.  It was from her father who served in the Army and had a body shop, I'm thinking from around the 50's.

I don't know what application the Porto-Power would have in the blacksmithing realm, but imagined once I start doing those 20' entrance gates that it might come in useful for cold tweaking.  Oh, and yes the hydraulics still work just fine on it. 

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0404.JPG

I went to the antique store with my wife, she looking for home decorating and me for tools. I was told they had gotten things from an estate sale with smithing tools. I missed the anvil and possibly other stuff:(, but I found these on the $3 table; inside caliper, machinist scraper, and slitter

20170827_131838.jpg

Saw a craigslist ad for a "196 pound anvil" - and I've been looking for a little bit larger anvil than the 140 pounder I use, so I went to take a look....long story short, came home with a 350 pound peter wright - 34 inches long and 5-1/2 wide face.    I put my daughter's 112 pound Queen's Dudley Anvil on top for scale.  

IMG_4089.thumb.JPG.6a4933d87afd4398bae0473b466a357f.JPG

Too much treasure to comment upon. Great finds one and all.

Getting prepared for the estate sale - Mom and Dad are still with us - working in the dark, I thought these were a total loss. Turns out I lost only  25%, leaving 29 issues if you can get past the smell.

Take time to read the small print - there is, for example, an article on the storage of coal.

What makes these particularly useful, is that I don't have to do a lot of tangential research to get past today's hand-waving. (Hand-waving (sometimes euphemistically) means the speaker presumes the audience has an adequate of level familiarity with the material being presented).

Drool, all ye who would drool.

Robert Taylor

20170828_111139.jpg

2017-08-28 11.45.04.jpg

Edited by Anachronist58
structure

Robert,

If you have the time, you can usually get rid of smell of wet paper. It is usually caused by fungi. You can kill the little darlings and reduce or get rid of the smell by doing this. Shred newspaper into thin strips or run it through a paper shredder. Place the shredded paper and a book(s) into a paper bag. Do NOT use a plastic bag. Seal the bag an d put it into a sunny spot. (which does not get wet. Several weeks later the sun cooked bags can be opened and the books and the odor should be gone. If not quite done, replace the newspaper and repeat the treatment).

The paper and Kraft bag have lots of sulfur compounds in them. The heat volatilizes some of the sulfur dioxide from the materials. It is a great disinfectant and an odor molecule destroyer.

Very valuable soaked books can be rehabilitated by a freeze drying process. But that is another long & technical subject for another day perhaps.

A complete collection of soaked Scandinavian mediaeval books was saved using this procedure, about 20 years ago.

SLAG.

Roberto,

The most common process for treating wood pulp to manufacture cellulose fibers is the Kraft process. Matted and pressed cellulose fibers are what constitutes paper.

That process uses sodium sulfate and calcium carbonate to digest the organic "glue" that holds the cellulose fibers together in the wood. (lignins and hemicelluloses).

Residual sulfates (SO4) are left in the paper. Those sulfates and sulfites are toxic to fungi and cause a little bleaching in the newspaper and your books.

Yes this explanation is lacking in all manner of chemical details, but I think it is good enough.

So sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is a byproduct. It is not used directly in the pulping process.

Roasting sulfide ore is a hazardous activity. The sulfur oxides combine with moisture in the air and in your lungs to form corrosive sulfuric and sulfurous acids. Breathing the gasses will result in lung damage.

Sooo use a respirator and place yourself upwind when conducting ore calcining and reduction processes.

I Hope that goes some way to explaining the reactions.

SLAG.

Signing out for now.

I used to buy handle "seconds" cheap back in NW Arkansas:  I can judge the grain to buy ones without runout and could often buy ones with defects in areas I would be cutting off or rasping down and so get #1 quality for "seconds" prices...Whenever I find a good deal on handles I buy them and then store them in my shop on a wire shelf or put a fence staple in the heel and hang them vertically to dry.  Being in AZ you probably know about letting handles dry a year before using them.....When I lived in Ohio I could used them directly!  Out here I also use the BLO soak, I have a small baking tin that I put 3/8" of BLO in and after setting the handle stand them up in the tray and leave them to soak until I can see the BLO wicking over the top of the hammer head.  Then I wipe them down with the proverbial oily rag and transfer the oil to the handle and let it dry and use it!  The oily rag I burn in the forge so no unexpected fires start in my shop!

Had a great relaxing Saturday kayaking down the Youghiogheny river. Of course I can't help but look for rusty treasures. Picked some spikes and other rusty/ crusty stuff out of the water to play around with. Also I couldn't believe it when we stopped by the Old Overholt whisky distillery I found a pair of tongs on the bank of the waters edge. My guess is that they would be for use with a crucible in a furnace but I'm not sure. They are 49 1/2" long and not heavy duty. There is a long history to the old distillery so to me it's an awesome find. a little clean up and they will be getting hung up on the wall in the shop. 

I also found a couple canoe paddles as usual. Surprising how many people are down the river without a paddle. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I find it funny that after starting this addictive hobby how I see the world differently. Like you, I'm always looking in corners etc. Hopeing to find that piece of scrap to build something out of. We have a gentleman that collects our scrap from our bodyshop and I always check out his truck for cool stuff :-)

They're repairing the roof on the chapel at the college where I work, and I snagged  these bits of old bracket out of the dumpster. The building went up in 1908, so these might be wrought iron, but they  could just as easily be steel from either the original construction or a later restoration. Time to nick and bend! 

IMG_3421.JPG

(By the way, the chapel architect was Cass Gilbert, who collaborated with Samuel Yellin on a number of commissions, including our art museum.)