• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's fleamarket finds. The shiny pieces are just painted. A nice old Havens steel co. Clamp. I had never seen one with the shield. Pretty cool.  Some nice long punches and chisels and a lil drift. And a cool grabber that I will now be in search of a twin to make some mean looking and large eagle or hawk talons. Worst case I use it as inspiration to forge something similar.  

image.thumb.jpg.5f8247f1ee631def7cdd5448afb6c46a.jpg

little blacksmith: See the recent thread on having a lifting jib crane for a swage block...

Or raising and lowing a telescoping hood

Or mounted to a wall with a couple of pulleys mounted to the ceiling to run a wire rope to hold hot long stock at the right height for your forge. (I use a chain with an S hook for this myself)

Greetings Das, 

What you have is a welders shielded clamp. They were designed to keep the screw clear from over spray and slag. (expensive to buy) .  The grabber is a log grabber for a fire pit or big fireplace. You get great stuff. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Jim, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Even tho the clamp is dirty/ lightly rusty, the screw looked freshly oiled and it works well. It's a user for sure. I paid $5. For it because it " looked" like a good one. 

I might oil up the log grabber and put it to use for a while before I decide its fate. :) 

Jackdog, there is quite a bit of rubbish as well but usually there is a jem to be found at a good price. I could have purchased a lot more today but I limited myself to the best deals for me. There were other files there for $1. Each but that one was unused and still had the original sales sticker. ( I have boxes of files to clean up and organize as is :) )  I usually don't pass much up but money is tight sometimes. 

Nice pick-up there Das. Jackdawg is right - flea markets etc here are just way overpriced junk.

That hand drill you have would make a great bird's neck. I use them a lot:

(And you have the garden shears for a beak!!)

DSC_5509.jpg

This copper bucket followed me home from work on Friday, it belonged to my 70 year old employer's grandmother so it's not unreasonable to assume  it's 100 years old. It's now going to retire beside my fire place storing kindling.

WP_20170519_18_31_52_Pro__highres.jpg

Sadly this didn't follow me home, but it did follow a blacksmith colleague of mine home, it's 3.5" square wrought iron stock, the longest bar in this photo is over 6 feet. It was bought by our company a great many years ago (it was there when colleagues with 40 years with the company joined and was old then) and has never been used. Most of our forgings are done in pure iron these days but the wrought has always been saved for special jobs, however now the company is closing down and it needed a new home.

WP_20170516_15_38_09_Pro__highres.jpg

Foundry man nice score. Sorry bout the wrought iron tho.  wow.

Aus,!  I have to smile when I see that bird. Yeah the hand drill " Brace" does make for a good bird neck. And I Do have the garden sheers. :) I may have to make my own bird so I can smile at him everyday. ... At least till he goes to a new home. 

I had a friend stop by yesterday and drag me to the dreaded pike days festival that das mentioned. Been here 4 years and never been before, so i figured why not. It was crappy weather and most everybody was packing up early, so i didn't have to deal with too many people. I did spot a table full of tools in one yard and decided to stop. Thats where i found the mini vice and a few other random items. Talking with the guy, i said i was looking for a real post vice. He said follow me. Drove a mile off the main road to his house and there was the 4" post vice mounted to his work bench. Also scored all the little hammer heads from his garage for $10, and the nicholson file for $10. I figured i can't pass that up for that price. 

20170521_193026.jpg

Hit up an estate sale this weekend to look at a post vice they had, ended up being wayy too expensive but found these goodies for next to nothing

Tp06SDi.jpg

All the files were in more or less good shape plus a couple farriers rasps in there. 

and got a piece of 1/4 inch steel plating that's 52" by 18".. going to be half of my new welding table i'm building

cR0lzoL.jpg

On 05/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, Daswulf said:

I might oil up the log grabber and put it to use for a while before I decide its fate. :)

That grabber is bad luck you'd best mail it to me.

Anyone else who has had regrettables follow them home - pm me and I will give you my shipping address.

19 hours ago, Foundryman said:

now the company is closing down

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, that is what weighs on me, second to the I am sure venerable workers / professionals who have kept this craft alive. It is not always possible for this type of legacy technology to be replaced, I speculate, by "modern" methods.

Best of luck to you,

Robert Taylor

20 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

Yes, that is what weighs on me, second to the I am sure venerable workers / professionals who have kept this craft alive. It is not always possible for this type of legacy technology to be replaced, I speculate, by "modern" methods.

Best of luck to you,

Robert Taylor

Thank you.

A number of the skills are being carried on in one way or another but sadly I doubt they'll be passed on to a future generation.

Simon.

33 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I dare you to build a 2x72 around the boat motor!

Hum Lets see extra large quench tank  to act as cooling for the motor. Make a pulley to use in place of the prop. 

Use that to drive a over head line shaft to drive the 2x72 grinder.

Or maybe i just use the electric motor. :D

Mel

Naw, use the outboard to power a line shop. Big circular tank and an undershot water wheel. You'll be a public attraction in no time, admission can buy you a larger outboard and the show can really get underway. 

That or just put a big grindstone on it and the tank of water will keep the motor cool and stone wet.

The elec motor has potential, you can drive a pair of 2" x 72" belt grinders. I'll bet you'd be the only Iforge member with tu tu x 27" grinders. NOW we're talking FAME!

Frosty The Lucky.