Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Glenn said:

This was beside the building of a little one bay garage. He says he just puts stuff on the wall until he has enough to take to the scrap yard. I could have what I wanted, so where do I start?

IMG_20161118_100442365.jpg

Is it just me that cannot see Glenn's photo?

I am not connecting in the text only mode that others over here in the UK are suffering. All the other images on this page are showing up.

Alan

11 hours ago, Glenn said:

I could have what I wanted, so where do I start?

rent a big truck and call a couple friends. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, JHCC said:

Well, in the "It didn't follow me home" department, I spotted a metal-legged workbench put out on the curb around the corner from my house. By the time I got home, got the van, and returned, some guy from the city had picked it up for his own use. Darn!

In the process of cleaning out the farm to move I was regularly setting stuff out by the road at the end of the drive. A couple times guys were loading it before I got the tractor put away.  I had left a bunch of stuff out one Sat AM early when I left on a trip north and my neighbor said within an hr. there were two guys with PU's out there fighting over it.  One guy was heard to yell "I go by here twice a week to see what he has out".  It was all gone by  noon he said all I cared about.

Littleblacksmith:  Nice cap & Ball any info on it, knife very nice as well.

On 2016. 12. 07. at 1:05 AM, littleblacksmith said:

Gergely, those are very nice flowers, and very realistic looking leaves. Were those also made from the spokes? what finish did you put on it? polyurethane?

Littleblacksmith

Thanks! The leaves are made from scrap 1mm thick sheet. Cut out, textured and shaped cold. Then hard brazed together with the spoke stems. Flowerheads are gas welded to the chubby end of the spokes. (Hehe, if someone had told me 5 years ago I'm was gonna do this kind of stuff... - I'd have not understood what they were talking at all :) )

The finish is some acrylic enamel spray - not the best way, but coldn't find any better yet. Well and as the spokes are galvanised the torch messes it up, it's real fun to clean the flowers with wire brush on angle grinder - seriously: don't try that at home, kids! (Maybe I should consider cleaning those spokes beforehand, or something like that, hm...)

On 2016. 12. 06. at 10:09 PM, ausfire said:

Thanks for the idea of the flowers. They look good. I don't have a power hammer but the lighter 6mm discs could possibly work with a bit of effort - especially being stainless. I'll give it a try.

Thanks Aus! I found ~1500 pieces of these 36mm dia rounds. I just have to find out what to do to make some profit of them. 

The 6mm stock gives you real much stuff to play with, deep texture, waves... Colleen du Pon's flower works have given me lot of inspiration.  

Bests to all of you!

Gergely

A friend and ex assistant has decided to downsize and go in a new direction...(surf matts) and has asked me to take over his stock of Progen tool steel billets.

Those three chumps are somewhere in the region of 100mm (4") square...the two on the right are Progen the longest bit is just over 3 metres.

He also gave me the  chumps of round mild steel and the Ø40mm (11/2") Stainless and two 40mm square mild steel to save them going to the scrappy.

If anybody is looking for blacksmith friendly tool steel for hammers punches or power hammer pallets and dies get in touch! Progen is good for anything from cold chisels to razor blades according to the Seaboard Steel Co.

Alan

IMG_3110 IFI it followed me home.jpg

I remember going to the local trash and treasure market one Sunday afternoon, but most stalls had packed up nad left for the day. I was wondering the grounds checking the few still there when I noticed something left behind. It was a little salesman anvil shaped in London pattern, perfectly proportionate but fits in the palm of your hand about 4" long by 2.5" high. That one followed me home alright!

After the last month or so working silly shifts I finally got some me time and treated myself to this... only 18 miles down the road and £60

18" overall 12 by 5 face and 10" high, the hardie hole is 3/4" square. There are no markings I can find but I guess it is fairly early.

1 a 3.jpg

1 a 1.jpg

1 a 2.jpg

1 a 4.jpg

More than once I've had a piece of 2x12 on the edge of the trunk/boot and slid or flipped something heavy end for end till it would plummet into the boot/trunk.... one time I was give several hundred pound spool of wireline survey wire I ended up making two stacks of pallets and flipping it over from one to the other while adding pallets till it would slide into my van (and this was back when I'd pick up and carry my 220# anvil...)

Well, last summer I was riding my bike home from the strawberry farm where I worked, and what should I find but a piece of Thomas Powers' "infamous carry-iron", to quote another thread.  It was a 6 inch piece of 1/4 in. walled 2 1/2  square tube with two elongated holes (on opposite sides) that promptly went in my backpack.  I don't have any pictures or know what it was from, but a spark test seemed to indicate low to medium carbon steel.