Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On October 21, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Gergely said:

So this small (350 lbs/160kg) clamping cube followed me home. The challange was only the "how to get it out of the trunk alone?". It's good to have a big pile of rusty junk around, isn't it? (Wasn't talk about the 114lbs travel anvil, though. ;) )

Absolutely love the creative thinking. Put a big smile on my face

4 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

jet_radial_drill_press_j1230r.jpgcinshapead.gif

Radial drill , and a metal shaper

"...It reminded me to a weird kind of milling machine. (Or maybe not that weird, I'm just not used to milling machines.) It was a bit like this: ..."

Gergely, it isn't the work table from a shaper is it? sliding head as in your photo but holds a lathe type tool rather than a rotating bit?

Yes, definitely a shaper! Thanks guys! I've never seen one before. That tube like upper side got me totally confused - I was thinking about mention it in the earlier post, but couldn't describe it without pitcures. Now I can find some info about this kind of machinery as I have  a name for it :) 

Bests:

Gergely

Got a post vise today!  The guy asked $100 for it, I asked if he was willing to go any lower and he suggested $80.  I know that they are often unmarked by the manufacturers but I would love to find out the maker.  It weighs 60# and is 40.5" tall.  The leg is slightly bent so it may have been 41" when it was new.  The worm gear definitely needs some grease....I'm considering taking it apart to give it a check up.

IMG_0511.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0513.JPG

Nice score Lou. Don't sweat the leg I've only ever seen a few not bent some, both mine are and it doesn't effect a thing.

I'm of a mixed mind about greasing the screw, it makes it move a little easier but grease also collects: cuttings, scale, dirt. . . heck everything and crud tends to gum up the works. Keep any lube a light coat. I've been thinking about making a shield over the threads, even just a piece of leather folded over it would help a bunch.

Frosty The Lucky.

K.V.O.,

May I suggest using graphite to lubricate the screw. It will not grab and bind cuttings nor dirt etc. It costs very little and can be, readily, bought at a big box hardware store or auto supply shop.

SLAG.

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice score Lou. Don't sweat the leg I've only ever seen a few not bent some, both mine are and it doesn't effect a thing.

I'm of a mixed mind about greasing the screw, it makes it move a little easier but grease also collects: cuttings, scale, dirt. . . heck everything and crud tends to gum up the works. Keep any lube a light coat. I've been thinking about making a shield over the threads, even just a piece of leather folded over it would help a bunch.

Frosty The Lucky.

The thread looks in good shape.

Funnily enough, although I agree with Frosty that grease tends to collect cuttings, scale, Grinder grit and everything else that is around I tend to think that may actually be a positive advantage in this instance...there is only the lightest layer of grease on the actual pressure or contact surfaces of the thread. The crud tends to get stuck to the excess grease that is actually attached to the unused surfaces, and thus kept away from the actual wearing surfaces.

I usually use graphite grease or mix some flake graphite in to lithium grease as belt-and-braces that maintains a drag free surface even when almost dry.

Thomas mentioned an interesting variant in another thread, (ouch, sorry!), of a grease nipple on the end of the thread box, which flushed old grease and the collected crud out with every pump of fresh grease.

Alan

1 hour ago, Kevin_Olson said:

wow.  A 60lb 4 1/2vise.  I have a 5 1/4 indian chief that weighs 60lbs  That must be a pretty stout vise

It sure feels stout!  It definitely presents itself as sturdy and "blockish".  I'm now converse need that I should disassemble it, clean it and then put it back together.  I don't want to lubricate it over the old crud even if it is only a small amount.  Plus, deep down I'd like to find some identifying marks or characteristics.  Thanks for the lubrication advice all!  This is one situation where learned no the hard way does not make for a good lesson.

Definitely take it apart and clean it all up and then reassembly it for use.  The zerk on the end of the screwbox was an idea I got off another smith right here IIRC and thought it was such a great idea that I have mentioned it on a regular basis.  He brazed an endcap on IIRC and drilled and tapped that for the zerk

Went to the scrap yard this weekend and found some good steel to heat and mangle. Who knows if I'm lucky I might make something worth keeping. Dropped 20 dollars and got two good size coil springs and a nice set of 3/8 leaf springs longest being 4 ft. Also got lots of random stock along with a couple of pieces of tool steel. All in all I would say it was a good day at the country junkyard

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg

That's some good pickings. 

As a word of caution ( in case you don't know but you might) if you are going to take that spring off that strut, it is under high tension. Use a spring compressor before unbolting it or take it to a tire shop and ask them to do it. They can be dangerous. Just trying to spread the word.  :) 

Nice haul pay attention to Das, struts are dangerous, VERY.

Whatcha gonna make? Might I suggest a steel rack? Piles are so inconvenient though they do give you a chance to keep up to date on what's there when you have to sift through them regularly to find THAT piece.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the words of caution. I'm glad you said something I figured I could just unbolt it so you probably saved me some kind of injury :D I just need to dedicate a spot to make one but it is on the list for sure. Probably will just use two by fours and half inch black pipe seeing as I have an unlimited Supply laying around. That brings up another question for me comma does anyone have any good ideas for forging things from black pipe. I have an always replenishing supply of 1/2" black pipe and fittings because I do hvac work for my day job

Went to visit a friend laxt week and while we were walking around he picked up this rr track anvil and said you need this don't you.  It is about 2 ft long.I am going to cut it dowm and make it into a small jewelry anvil for my wife. 

Monday I wnet to my mechanic to get some tires and was looking for scrap when I saw a post vice laying on the ground in the rain. When I asked him how much for that piece of scrap iron he said that it is worth a lot, ir's an antique, I replied I don't care, I am going to use it. Then he said 25$ and I said SOLD! 35 lb iron City, 4 in. jaws, compleat. nearly perfect condition.

20161027_133717.jpg

20161027_133829.jpg

It just blows my mind how much stuff blacksmiths covet is just lying around unused and unloved.  I drove past a place for two months not seeing the 200# or more anvil he had sitting on a dolly in front and sold for $275 the day before I stopped in.  Right in plain sight....

ahhhh!! that must stink!! I know it would for me, but would also motivate me a lot, and be proof that there are still cheap but good quality anvils out there!

Littleblacksmith

My wife forced me to leave the house and put my shop time on hold this morning :( While we were out we stumbled upon a yard sale that had a couple things that caught my eye. The biggest thing was the 6' piece of rail road rail sitting at the edge of the driveway. I asked him about it and he mentioned he had several pieces he got from a guy that works for the railroad in Birmingham. A few minutes later I told him I had to go get my truck and I'd be back for the rail. I got it and he threw in an medieval style crossbow missing some pieces. The little research I did shows the rail is about 260 pounds. One side is torch cut and the other looks like a factory edge and the whole things is nice and straight. It is 7.125" tall 6" wide at the base and the head is 3" wide. So many projects are running around in my head. :) The guy also mentioned he does foreclosure clean outs and has found all sorts of old tools including anvils in the past so I made sure to leave him my number so he could get in touch if he found anything else of interest. He's also supposed to call in a few days when he gets a chance to get into his storage shop where he has a collection of older tools he thinks I might like. I'm so giddy right now lol.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

I badly wanted all of this to follow me home but figured better follow the laws and all. I did find one J clip in the middle of the road about a 1/2 mile up the road from it and turned around to grab it. I figured I'm doing everyone a favor saving their tires and what not :D

IMAG0940.jpg

Good Morning, Michael

Rail has 2 sets of number on the sides. The date of manufacture and a weight. The weight is the weight per yard.

When Rail is manufactured, it is cut in 10 yard pieces. Yes 30 Feet each. 120 lbs. Rail weighs 1200 lbs for 10 yard length. Simple Math.

Neil

Well I knew the numbers meant a few things but didn't know the specifics. I assumed the "1976" on the rail I have was the year of manufacture and didn't have a clue about the five 1s or Is whichever it is. I found a place online with a quick search showing the rail weight according to markings but it didn't have the number "13225" but it did have "13228" which was 130lb rail. I'm curious about the letters and I'm thinking the "TENNI" on the torch cut end is what's left of "TENNESSEE" but have no real way to know not that it matters anyway.