I Forge Iron

It followed me home

The vise should have a pipe threaded hole under the main part to put a leg into. I have one of the fabricated / not cast versions of that vise.

As for the drill it appears to be there unless there was a way to clamp the part in the vee, but it may just be the drilling action that does the holding. Try it out, and let us know how it works.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings Crazylady,

Like the picture that John supplied ..  The drill is clamped into the cut out under the vise jaws..   I have 6 drills and several vises and use them all the time... You can do many operations with the drill like clamping it to the work piece and use it like a mag drill..   A few things you should know...  I put thrust washer under the screw clamps that tension the drill to the 1 3/8 shaft... Over tightening the top one will for sure crack the casting...  Take the drill all apart and you will find a thrust bearing on the top that requires lube...  I have one that I use at the anvil where the shaft fits into he hardy hole ..  Great to take to demos and such..  You will find the jaws on the vise are very aggressive and will mark your metal ... I grind mine smooth...  One other great thing about the vise is you can rotate the head and use it to hold stock on a block for upsetting..   Lots and lots of other things ... I could go on and on...  Have fun with your new tools..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Las Cruces Fleamarket yesterday:  beautiful set of large tongs---apx 1"  hold on the flats with a nice swale on the inside of the bits to hold round as well.  29" long and so well forged I keep looking for a commercial maker's mark.  Reins drawn down nice and thin so you have a strong springy grip.  US$8  Which is my top price for tongs I can use as they are.

OTOH at a different dealer there was a nice heavy old steel/iron? wheelbarrow wheel of the type I like to make tong racks from:  he wanted $25 and as I've been finding them at the scrapyard for $2.....

Went to an auction about an hour a way from my house this weekend.  I heard that there would be a coal forge with a blower, several sets of tongs, and a few post vises up for grabs.  The forge and blower went for $475 (it was about 4'x4'), the vises (both 4" Iron City -- one missing its bracket) went for $50 a piece.  I bought all the tongs for $350.

All of the tongs came in two ammo boxes.  There was a handful of nippers that with the lot... I'll probably sell them, if I can.  Three bottom tools (two round swages and one hardie), three top tools (one set hammer, one top round swage head, and some weird type of hot cut), two cold chisels, and some other various small tools came with them, as well.  I was also able to buy a nice square punch (wood-handled top tool).  My dad was with me -- he counted 72 pairs of tongs.

post-42254-0-55608000-1414969014_thumb.jpost-42254-0-31985400-1414969122_thumb.jpost-42254-0-86913900-1414969368_thumb.jpost-42254-0-22321100-1414969662_thumb.j

I've been wanting to get a shear for a while and look on craigslist every couple of days. They don't seem to come up to often and are usually pretty expensive. I've been thinking about getting one of the eight inch one's with the bar slot, but just haven't pulled the trigger. A couple of days ago I checked craigslist and found this guy.
20141106_183257_zpsrvxhkrnw.jpg
20141106_183246_zpsdlln7gga.jpg

The blades could use sharpening and adjusting, but it cuts right through 1/8 x 3/4.

Hard to tell model number from your photos Dan, Beverly b2 is rated to 1/8" and a b3 to 3/16 (mild steel).  It's likely that working a hand powered tool at the upper limit will wear out both the tool and operator prematurely so take care of yourself.  That said a Beverly shear is a great tool, fasten it down to an immoveable object and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice potential as a smaller jig where you can clamp down elements of the fixture in those T-slots. First use you could make adjustable turning cams. Set up to bend twenty of the rotten shepard's crook that people have been pestering you to do... or is that just me;-)   Make a fixture to help you forge horse shoe hearts if not faster maybe sharper;-)  Supplemental table for your flypress to build bending fixtures on to it...

Two wrought iron wagon wheels from the scrapyard. Found it a few months ago and rolled them into the back corner for the time I had some money, and thankfully they were still there. Wrought iron is very scarce around here, I think this is the first I saw in years.