I Forge Iron

It followed me home

My poor little 2 and a half cylinder Saturn SW2 has been getting a workout lately. Tim McCoy's wife passed away just before last Christmas, and he is moving out of his old house. I went over to pick up the anvil, and gas forge I had loaned him, and while I was there he said, "Everything back there is up for grabs, what you don't take is going out on the curb for the scroungers" Tim has become a great friend over the years after meeting him here on IFI. I wish him well on his new adventures.

Tim had scrounged coil springs,earth moving equipment parts,concrete saw blades, lots of rebar, concrete stakes,golf cart parts, plate up to 2" thick, and much more. Even the hammers, punches, etc, were going. The one item that really helped me out was a TIG torch. I had been looking for a larger water cooled TIG torch for thicker aluminum. I hadn't mentioned this to Tim before he walks up to me and asks Can you use this? "This" turns out to be a brand new Weldcraft WP12 torch, and small flowmeter. This is the biggest torch they make, accepting up to a 1/4" tungsten electrode,and will handle 500 amps with a 100% duty cycle.I need to do something really nice for him as he would not accept any ,money for the items I took. All he said was Thanks for being a friend. Two trips with the Saturn were with the suspension bottomed out, the last two it was dragging, but moved a little bit. I have a 3500 Cummins, but it is currently down with a worn out steering system. Can't complain since it has 327,000 miles on it.

The engine came from a kid at work who pulled it out of his jet boat , 455 Oldsmobubble.

post-9835-0-74890000-1405201582_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-15861700-1405201603_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-83495900-1405201621_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-05964500-1405201643_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-47829300-1405201671_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-37924100-1405201690_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-49603600-1405201717_thumb.jp

post-9835-0-21826400-1405201760_thumb.jp

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like when I was moving 1500 miles for a new job; so I called out for a MOB hit and the Mid Ohio Blacksmiths did me proud---one even brought a small dump truck; I'd drag something out of the shop and ask him if he wanted it if yes we'd throw it in the dump truck, if no we'd wait till his back was turned and throw it into the dump truck...What I kept and shipped toke more than a flat bed semi---had 3 pallets that went common carrier...

And I'll bet you didn't lift that little load out of the truck in that bucket! Nice pick up.

Ha, nope - one small bundle at a time.  I was surprised how much a few of those weigh together.

Now I have to figure out what I can make him, maybe a fire poker or something.

• 2 weeks later...

01tundra

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

Picked up a 32" dia x 1-3/4" cast steel disc at the local scrap yard for $75 the other day.  Weighs 340 lbs.

Made some removable support legs for it and now it's my new bending anvil.

I'd love to get the bolt that washer was used with. What a post anvil it would make. -grin-

Looks like it should work great for what you're purposing it as. How thick is it?

in the eye of the beholder. in the first pic I see the makings of a small acorn like jig platform with those nice holes for bending/ straitening maybe pins and wheels scroll work. nice, lots of potential.

140 pound *out* of the scrap yard Saturday: 4 buggy tyres and some misc wagon wrought iron, a bunch of files and other tools (punches, chisels) that had been through a fire for forging and forge welding stock, piece of grating to server as a shoe cleaner, heavy ring from a ring and pintle hitch to use as a dishing form. some 3/8" sq stock and a small crosspeen hammer head.

I really coveted the old wagon axle; apx 1.5" and forge welded in the middle; but if I got every nice item my scrap pile would soon be larger than theirs and then there would be that tedious bit with the neighbors and the pitchforks and torches; again,...

Man did I ever score today.  Had a friend give me contact info for one of his friends in town that owns a very large (multi-state) fabrication company that caters primarily to Nascar.  Went over to his shop a little while ago and got a great tour, 5 axis milling machines, CNC benders, lathes, brakes, rollers, welders galore.  This guys has 10 of every cool machine around.  They design & fabricate complete race car chassis and every single part for multiple types of race cars.

Anyways, he had a client ask to build some parts out of 1/2" hot rolled and he had a bunch left over that he wanted out of his shop.  He said he hates hot rolled due to scale and only likes working with pickled steel.

So I tell him I'll gladly take it all.  I load it all up and ask him how much I owe him.....he says "just give me $10".  I say no way, that's giving it away, so I hand him $30 (which is still giving it away), he says no that's way too much and hands me the $10 back.

Then he says that any time I need to use any of his machines I'm welcome to come by......wow!  He told me he would rather see the scrap go to somebody that could use it locally.

Anyways, I get home and do a count, all but two bars are 62" long.  Ends up being 322 feet, which comes out to $0.009 per lb :o.

He goes on to tell me that he hates having angle and channel scrap in his shop and he'll be calling me any time he needs his scrap hauled off.  I told him I'd gladly take it off his hands and if he ever needed something forged all he had to do is call.

I'm a very happy camper at the moment!

roundbar_zps19d5f83c.jpg

I'm speachless. Good thing I don't have to talk while I type. <grin> I'm thinking you may have to buy a bigger truck with friends like that. THAT and shop privileges too? Santa doesn't really live at the north pole does he? Does he have any forging machinery? I'll bet it wouldn't take much to convince him he needs to be able to forge his own suspension, etc. parts.

You be one LUCKY guy. Be good to your new friend.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like that scale too! But 130 tons???? That would be a monster crane and that shackle looks a bit .... small(grin)

The scale came from an auction of a junk collector's stuff.  Found outdoors in tall grass.  Bought for about the price of a fast food meal.

The clevis came from a marine supply liquidation fund raising sale in Red Hook, Brooklyn.  They had lots of 75 ton and smaller, but I had to have the big one.  I had my truck and cash.  Most of the people there walked in from the local streets and had no way to move anything they could not carry.  I will post more photos of some of the other 'heavy' iron that followed me home.

I whish I was in a position to buy the biggest chain fall I have ever seen at an auction years ago. It went for cheap, but I didn't have a place to put at the time. The links were around the size of that shackle.

If I remember right it was around a 10 ton capacity.