• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice cross Das and good job on the flame coloring, your imagination always amazes me.   Have you thought about a two tone finish on one? I'm thinking a flame colored cross with the rest a copper sulfate or brass brushed finish would take it to another level.

Hey Jungle, the knife looks good.  I like how it's skeletonized.  Even if it's not the best knife steel it'll work well,  you'd just have to sharpen it a bit more often. 

I started work on a new forge last night,  the koawool and refractory are getting here on Friday.  The tank was sealed when I started so I assumed it had pressure in it in spite of having sat open for a full year.  I cut through the brass nozzle to make sure I didn't cause sparks before I water purged it.   This is going to be my 4th propane forge since I started,  each getting more complex and better performance.

FB_IMG_1663770294165.jpg

Cool ideas gewoon, Les.

Anvil, it would look great with those as well. Think Im out of horseshoe nails. I'll have to get some more.  One think I don't understand is horse shoe nail sizes. I'll have to figure that out. The boxes are sealed at tractor supply so I had to guess on the first box I had bought. Might be cheaper online. 

Nice cross Das. 

I got some work done on this customer globe. Made a real bonehead mistake lol. I got all the continent’s epoxied on but I kept staring at it knowing something was off but couldn’t figure out what - then it hit me: I only did half the amount of spokes I was supposed to, making this one look very open and I was super angry (original globe pic for reference). Starting over would mean months because of my work schedule.Taking the continents off, welding in the missing spokes and then reattaching the continents would mean at least two more weekends. (I desperately need to learn to be able to cleanly weld the continents on rather than epoxy - I think that’s going to mean a tig welder. The cheap flux core I have plus my nonexistent skills mean the welds are either so ugly I can’t sell it like that or I blow holes right through the thin continents. Maybe I can learn to braze them on). Anyway I called the customer and just told her what had happened and offered another item, discount or some kind of other addition to the globe. She asked if I could make a steel version of her late husbands Air Force rank from this picture and attach it to the globe and we could call it even so I said I’d give it a shot. I actually think it came out pretty cool looking. I’ve got the base made so now it’s just making the meridian and putting it all together. 
Also I bought one of those photo light box things to improve my Etsy pics but I really want one of these driftwood looking prop things I see in a lot of pics from knife makers. Does anyone know where something like this could be bought instead of me running around the beach trying to get lucky lol? I can’t find anything like them for sale online. 

91556F24-9303-4B6B-B1D1-94A933722EDD.jpeg

566FC37B-53AC-42DB-8DBC-8A06AB787161.jpeg

E130D504-E5D6-4013-A1C4-58A657269B87.jpeg

4708E9B9-A327-482D-8994-9437781B329D.jpeg

46B013E1-8BA4-48E6-B2C3-56823BD1575D.jpeg

Made a new chandelier.  I will send to Moscow.  2 large ones had to be put aside in the shed.  Due to sanctions, delivery to Alaska has become very difficult and has risen in price by 2.5 times.  The customer asked not to sell the chandeliers to anyone, to wait until times change.

IMG_20220920_112010.jpg

IMG_20220920_112035.jpg

IMG_20220920_111957.jpg

IMG_20220920_220427.jpg

IMG_20220525_191455.jpg

IMG_20220525_103434.jpg

IMG_20220525_103409.jpg

IMG_20220921_143521.jpg

Nice work Pat. Things usually work out.  

Beautiful as always Alexandr.

Les they are called "cut masonry nails". I find boxes of them here and there at fleamarkets or the ReStore for cheap. Wish I had bought the 40# box of them I saw once. At the time I wasn't sure of a use for them. Now I am welding up crosses and other things from them for between $10-25. And they sell great. 

2 hours ago, Nate37 said:

for the coal to stay hot,

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. What type of coal are you using? Not staying hot is usually a lack of air, especially with anthracite coal. Another problem with not hot enough, is the formation of clinker. It's hard to see in the picture if you are using a side blast or bottom blast fire pot.

John, if you haven't already, you might want to do some research on armor making.  Armorers have a number of different techniques for dishing and raising.  Some of them thin and stretch the metal and some thicken it.  Some is done hot and some cold.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."