I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 9/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, BillyBones said:

Found a lump o' bees's wax straight from the hive. This stuff is almost impossible to find in any sort of quantity locally. Go to the box hardware store and they look at you like you got 3 heads when you ask about. The smaller places have small "disks" about 1/2" thick and maybe 1 1/2" wide. 

Look for one of those health food/alternative medicine/new age markets. All those I have been in have had them. Natural essential oils too. I don’t pretend to believe all the gibberish about them, but some can be relaxing after a bad day at work. In the interest of complete transparency, it could be the two or three Coors Light I have while relaxing and reading in the tub and not the essential oils. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The customer wasn’t satisfied with the finish on the knitting bowls (and neither, to be honest, was I), so I took them back and refinished them. A good object lesson in not letting anything leave the shop that isn’t up to standard, and the sometimes painful cost of standing behind your work. 

No forging, otherwise, but I did a lot of labeling and packing up stuff for my tailgating table at Quad-State. 

6D61A1C9-BD3E-475C-B0DF-E1A6FC098446.jpeg

Finally decided to tune my new forge and burners so I can learn to forge weld. I think I got it just about dialed in and started a cable knife this afternoon. I still have to finish the bevel on the other side, heat treat, acid etch, and fit scales. But for my very first forge welding project I'm not disappointed...yet.

PXL_20210913_000555937.jpg

PXL_20210919_021747355-01.jpeg

PXL_20210913_000541131.jpg

PXL_20210919_021848628-01.jpeg

Congratulations BillyB  love the name.

Enjoy the greatest natural high of the human emotions  welcoming a new family member. 

on a different note believe I am about to trade 2 sets of cards for welder and welding supplies cant wait for slow season get everything together. just need get over sentimental value of cards lol.

Magic the Gathering. Fantasy card game I use to play and collect.  He would get the better deal value wise but for me the supplies and tools I would get is better then the dust they collect now and only worth more if had someone that would pay but I know the guy as well and he has wanted for years. he knows I want a welder haha 

Yeah the original few series are insanely priced now I have most of them had them all at one point but have been selling off or trading to friends so I can have things that dont just collect dust.  The ones I am trading worth if had a person wanted bad enough full value $2590 but he willing to trade me a welder 2 masks angle grinder  stand up dual sided grinder welding gloves apron and rest of any thing he bought when he thought he was welding. he maybe used 5 times. So I think I will most likely trade cant walk into store and buy but can trade just got get over the sentimental 2 decks he wants are the 2 I used to clean the floor with in our group of friends lmao. sorry I ramble 

I dunno, in my opinion that depends on what welder your gonna get?

The rest of that stuff could be had for next to nothing, I recently picked up a USA made Dayton 1hp 10” bench grinder for $50 in perfect condition I think it was over  a $1000 new, an welding hoods are a dime a dozen as are angle grinders an chop saws, 

I’d hate to see you trade off something valuable worth $3000 when you could get all the same stuff for $500 used and spend the extra on a giant anvil or a power hammer lol 

But I understand it can be hard to find a buyer for something even if it’s rare, it take the right person at the right time with the right money and that’s hard to find, 

TW, I agree. If it is a nice name brand TIG/Arc welder like a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart it could be worth a trade.  Although I have picked up some nice welders for not that much at auctions. I think the most I have paid is $1,000 and that was a Miller 250A TIG that came with a mess of rod and accessories.  My big MIG is a Miller MP-65E , 600A, and that was $950 and came with probably that much in silicon bronze, innershield, and aluminum wire on 50# spools.

If it is a Lincoln with a digital face, do your research on the model he has through the welding forums. They have issues.

Friday: I attended the University's Bladesmithing Club Meeting; did a lot of impromptu talking as nobody had checked the propane tank status before the meeting, (first one this semester.) At least they have replaced the forge from last year which wouldn't get above about 1300 degF!

May see if anyone wants to learn how to forge a blade rather than just heat and beat with no clue...

Saturday, scrapyard wasn't open; spent the day with my wife doing *NOTHING*; very relaxing.

Sunday, Church and burgers up in the mountains; I did sneak into the shop around 5PM.  I had found a damaged large screw jack previously at the scrapyard that I thought would make quite a nice replacement screw/screwbox for a large postvise missing one.  It was locked up solid and I had been soaking penetrating oil down into the screwbox for a couple of months, tapping and trying to work the screw.  Yesterday I could feel it give a tiny bit!   So I worked on cleaning the visible screw threads and noticed that what I was afraid was rust was really 80+ year old hardened grease---flipped the scrap file I had been using over and started prying it out of the screw threads with the tang of the file----leaving shiny metal!

Worked the screw with a bit more vigor,  soaking the oil in as well and got it to do a 360. Flooded with  WD-40 as an old grease cutter and soon was running the screw the entire length using a 6" rod and one finger! (My Wife bought me a 1 gallon can of WD-40 for Father's day you may recall.)

Unfortunately I don't need a LARGE replacement screw/screwbox; (It's 2" diameter on the outside of the screw and has a 13.5" length!); but as my wife said I could borrow the necessary funds to pay for the shop electrification from out retirement savings I guess I will sell it on.  My forge which has always run at a dead loss; now has to cough up the money to pay the "loan".