I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

TW, that absolutely sucks!  So sorry to hear about the imminent domain mess.  Hope you come out with a reasonable settlement.  People like to move out to the country to get away from the city, then BAM!, here comes a highway or loop.....and destroys that dream.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TW, I have done some legal research and, yes, under Oklahoma statutes you must be compensated for any reduction  in value of the property not physically taken.  This can be offset by any benefit to the value of the property (like increased access) but only up to the value of the damage to what is left after the property is taken.

Remember that the negotiator the state sends to deal with you is like a salesman who wants to get your signature for the least possible amount of money.  He or she is not required to be truthful or honest.  They will use all the tactics of a used car salesman, false friendliness, intimidation, threats, offering a "special" deal, pretending to look out for your best interests, etc..

Make sure that you read and UNDERSTAND the Landowner's Bill of Rights that the state is required to give you.

Remember, no one is going to look out for you and your family but you and any attorney you hire.  It's up to you as a person and as a citizen to stand up for your rights and get the full compensation you are entitled to.  Don't be intimidated or back down from this and don't be influenced by what your neighbors do or don't do.

TALK TO AN ATTORNEY!

George

Twisted, you ever heard of the case involving Marvin Heemeyer? Probably best known as the "killdozer" incident? Its not quite in the same faucet as your predicament, but its quite the story of what could happen when a man is pushed to the brink by unmoving local standards and such.

It is a somewhat sad but interesting story to read about. Happened roughly around 2004 if my memory serves. Also show cases what a man with a lot of metal, concrete, a bull dozer and welding/fab skills can do when he has nothing left.

SinDoc, I just looked him up, that’s a little on the extreme side lol,

it’s an aggravating situation but I have more important things to care for like my toddler and wife and my business so I’m not really interested in escalating the situation, 

I have thought dumping all my shop scrap and junk on the side of my property they will be taking an make them haul it off lol, 

I am by no means advocating you make an armored bulldozer and demo out your town lol. I just thought it was a slightly relevant story that was a decent read.

I feel you on the kids though. My front yard is only maybe 40ish feet deep and we live on a main road so I never let my kids go to the front yard without supervision and have grilled it into their heads that they are not allowed out front without us.

Like I said we are probably gonna just find another house further out And rent this one out and I’ll maintain the business here and I’ll just work around whatever they build, we don’t want to live that close to a 65mph highway. 
but the shop is further back so it won’t be affected as much, I’ll just have to reconfigure my setup and move stuff around, 

and I’ll probably use some of the suggestions on planting bamboo and or an hedge of some sort in front of the house, 

George can check me on this, but it seems likely that any actions taken deliberately to delay or sabotage construction could be construed by a court as evidence of acting in bad faith and therefore could lower one's chances of getting the most favorable compensation.

John, actually that would probably come with criminal charges and the condemnation case would still proceed to determine the fair compensation.  If I had a client who did something stupid like sabotaging construction equipment I would object to it being brought up in a condemnation case because it is irrelevant to the value of the property being taken or the damage to the value of the remainder.

BTW, Marvin Heeney is often portrayed as an everyman who was pushed too far.  However, he was a strange ranger going back years.  I have talked to people in the community and they were not that surprised at what he did.  He carried a grudge over not that big an incident to extremes.  The story you see on TV is not the full story and is presented for dramatic effect.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

It's pure luck that Heemeyer didn't kill anyone. Of the thirteen buildings he demolished, eleven had people in them just before, including a children's program in the public library.

10 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

If I had a client who did something stupid like sabotaging construction equipment I would object to it being brought up in a condemnation case because it is irrelevant to the value of the property being taken or the damage to the value of the remainder.

Good point!

Once you are not co-located with your shop it becomes a bigger target for thieves.  My Grandfather kept a bunch of GSDs down on his farm; of course he had to go down and feed and water them at least once a week; but they discouraged folks from visiting when he was away!

When I was in single digits they were just the "farm dogs" and we were good friends!  Only years later did I realize their purpose.

A couple dogs are as good a security system as comes. Believe it or not Basset hound bitch is an excellent guard dog. Females are more territorial and protective in general and Bassets are LOUD and sneaky. If someone disregards the LOUD warnings they don't usually confront them face to face, they'll take you from the rear. 

GSDs are excellent, they're very biddable and can be taught that customers are welcome. Even if they have to watch them with eagle eyes. 

Jer