Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randell Warren:

Joey van der Steeg has a great guide on youtube about restoring one if you are interested. I restored a few months ago, and found it very enjoyable and rewarding. It wasn't very difficult, just use the right tools and take your time.

I got my belt for my lathe, I need to get a bigger one so I can use the other gear. I didn't think that the motor mount moves but he belt was only $5. I'm gonna watch some lathe videos but any advice would be appreciated. I already know most the safety stuff, proper ppe, no loose clothing, understand the machine will take off  finger or worse if I don't respect it. General shop safety essentially. Also, how hard is it to make bits/cutters. I've looked at some and they seem pricey. Also, which ones should I buy first. The ones that would be used most. I know that's a general question. It came with a cutoff blade though.

22 hours ago, Pr3ssure said:

I got my belt for my lathe, I need to get a bigger one so I can use the other gear. 

More information on the lathe is needed.. Make, model? 

I have a Southbend 13X72.. 

JHCC getting some forge time in..   Looking forwards to the tongs and first examples.. 

Got my molds for resin casting assembled and gaps caulked. Gave them test runs. First block I put too much black in the mix, came out a solid chunk of black resin. The second one came out better, needs to be squared up. A bit dark, so I'm thinking too much blue. Looks good in direct light, but in ambient lighting it's a dark block. Maybe slicing it in half will help, maybe not. The attached is with a light directly above the block. Ocean Blue with a Violet swirl. Need to find decently priced resin if I'm going to keep casting garbage to start until I get my own personal style dialed in.

1.jpg

Thats a great little lathe..  Can make a bunch of great items and if not over worked can be wonderful..  The belts that are recommended at the adjustable length ones. Link belts and are anti vibration... try and stay away from the solid belts as they create harmonics and vibration..   They sell link belts at HF.. 

I'd suggest high speed steel tool bits. 1/4" sq with holders.. You can get the bits pretty cheaply on the fleabay..  If you can afford it a axa aloris tool quick change tool holder would be a great up grade..    I like HSS steel with some cobalt or vanadium in them as they will hold up better on tougher steels but for most work a plain old HSS bit works great.. 

insert and insert holders can be handy but on such a small lathe I'm not sure they would offer any advantage as to gain maximum from the insert a more rigid lathe is in order.. 

For the cost of the inserts there has to be a reason and able to make money on the return in extra work required vs bits wearing..    I've worked with surface hardened rods where the stuff would eat an insert  or 2 but the high speed steel just chewed the stuff off..  10.00 each for the insert,, 2.50 for the whole 4" long piece of HSS.. 

There is a whole bunch of information on the web my home group at Shopfloortalk as a bunch of info on the lathe.. 

Maxwell, Will you be cutting the resin into thinner slabs for knife scales? If so they may look a little lighter after they are thinner a polish and buff may help make them lighter looking as more light will pass through. It looks good to me though. Keep at it and refine your process and you will get the results you are looking for. 

Good luck,

Pnut (Mike)

Sorry you did say you'd be cutting it. My fault for the oversight.; ) Oops

Yeah, half or thirds. Right now that slab is 1.25" thick before it gets cut down and squared off. So I'm thinking I'll lose .125" to .25" in the process. And then cut from there. Would make decent starter handles for bottle openers or things like that until I get into the swing of things fully.

Maxwell, it looked much thicker. Nothing to judge it's scale. It reminds me of bowling balls from the seventies. I think it looks cool but your opinion is the only one that counts. I agree it will make good handles for bottle openers or anything else you can think of. I gotta get back to work. 

Pnut (Mike)

JLP, thanks for the tip. I actually don't have a Harbor Freight near me, maybe about an hour away. I wanted one of the v/link belts but they were like $30 apposed to $5 so I'll probably just get one on amazon or where ever I can find it cheaper. I definitely want to get a different tool holder than the stock one that came with it. For now though I'm just going to clean it up so it's easier to make small adjustments. I need to find the knobs for the carriage, one was replaced with a plastic one that's a little broken and one is broken. I found a site with the small one I needed and they had it listed for like $180 or some ridiculous amount. So I'm probably going to just try and make some.

Mr Yaggy.. That is so flippin cool..   Just wonderful..   Wish I was more inventive/artistic..   Really nice work.. 

JHCC:  I said it while you were here..  I don't know where you get all you energy from.. Travel, work, smithing, family, more smithing, project, project.. etc, etc.. 

Nice job on the handle..  2.5lbs head? 

JudsoN 

"I am inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!"

You should name that piece "Montoya's wrath"...............or... maybe not  ; ) 

It's great though whoever gets it will be lucky to have it.

Pnut (Mike)