I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

This might sound funny but I always forge weld better when it's  bright and sunny out.. 

when I used to work in my old shop.. It was dark, dark, dark..  5 100 watt light bulbs to brighten a 22X44ft shop..   I found that my welds were always better at demos.. 

99% of the items I forge I am not happy with.. :)   There is always something more I could have done.. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Awesome stuff Oly. 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, pnut said:

Olydemon, if you make another like the dragon with just a few tweaks you could have a very good seahorse. I'm gonna have to give some of those a try soon. They look  like a good way to practice tapering and bending on the cheap.

How big are they to start 3or4 inches?

Thank you. Its also a great lesson on handling small items...

I think the screws were probably 3".

39 minutes ago, JHCC said:

. I keep thinking I should make one from a piece of stainless I picked up a while back

You should. These are my favorite to use with my cast iron pans. Depending on the size of the stock you might want a good upset for the paddle end.

8 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

This might sound funny but I always forge weld better when it's  bright and sunny out.. 

I reckon it's harder to weld in wet weather, when using a stick welder anyway. Seems to me the rods have a tendency to absorb humidity and they are harder to arc. May be just my imagination, but they seem to weld better in arid weather conditions.

18 hours ago, olydemon said:

One of them ended up looking like some sort of dragon so I punched an eye to finish it off.

That's a very nice representation of an attack seahorse poised to dive on it's hapless prey. 

It's very attractive, whatever story you make up to name it. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Mudman.. the thinning of the area under the head is a common mistake starting out.. especially if its a welded head.. 

Many times people fail to realize just how much material is lost to scaling.. 

Its one of the best reasons to upset some before forming or welding the head.. 

In years gone past 1 heat per head was normal for an upset to finish formed..  Welding 3 or 4 heats depending on the parent stock.. 

Looks great though.. 

Das, nice job on the peace symbol..  were you extra peaceful while making it.. :) 

'mm' measurements are millimetres. We are a metric nation, although many of us still speak in feet and inches at times. As a rough guide, 10mm steel equates to your 3/8" and 12mm is roughly 1/2". We changed over to the metric system back in the seventies and children today have no concept of inches, feet, yards, pounds, ounces, gallons,  pints and so on.

I do a lot of work on cars and old requipment..  The metric system in the USA has been around for a very long time.. I have an early (1901) buffalo blower that has 12mm metric bearings in it..  32mmx 12mmx 7mm..  Radial ball bearings..  

I also work on European cars and many are metric and then there is 1 or 2 bolts where it's a standard size especially 11/16"  What.. Not sure.. But size under or over 16mm or 18mm head size is just not quite right the engineers thought.. 

Also Ford trucks.. well at least since 87 to 2001 since those are the ones I have owned.. Nearly all bolts are metric and the hose clamps are standard..  What.. 

And let’s not forget the Mars Climate Orbiter that burned up in the Martian atmosphere because NASA engineers didn’t convert pounds of force to newtons for the software controlling the thrusters.