I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Found this 3"x2.5" pipe reducer with a soft inside edge and thought I'd try out dishing for the first time.1930717240_IMG_20181115_1700355072.thumb.jpg.bde4f48b3647b4441a01644df2443cd4.jpg

I managed to get a scrap 6in flat circle raised 2.5in before the smoke drove me back inside.838074968_IMG_20181115_1657372972.thumb.jpg.6155e7a3555467000b04e4e5cdfcc263.jpg

The smoke from the Camp fire is so thick the sun was the color of a dull red heat, but it made for nice diffused lighting for the pictures.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skiing guy is all done. Clearcoating it now. I tried to make a beanie cap from copper but it didnt work out so I made a helmet. Elizabeth loves it. It's a gift for her dad and skiing has been a big part of their lives. Personally I'm out of my element on this. If she likes it, I like it. ;)

She thought I was going above on it but I still think it's sub par. Still I think it turned out ok. 

20181116_225033.jpg

20181116_225007.jpg

20181116_224948.jpg

20181116_224925.jpg

On 11/11/2018 at 6:26 PM, MotoMike said:

A buddy collects hammers.  Not a smith though.  has an antique 16 pound sledge that he has hanging on a bunch of deck screws.  had to add more as the weight bent the originals.    I knocked out a hammer hanger for him.  

the hammer hanger from earlier in use.  I gave it to my buddy last night.  He told me that the original owner would have been 100 today.  weird.  

forge237.jpg

Ladies and gents seen again very nice and creative stuff, inspires me to so much more (scrap sculptures- have to dive in to the scrap containers of some clients with my business suit, makers mark –have to send the ai-file to professional engraver, some simple knifes/Armor –have to line/fire retardant the extra foam insulation before starting the gas forge)     

Not much time the last weeks, so I did only little thinks like making aluminium vice claw protection which I use wile grinding and polishing the Bronze casts. They are shaped after de claws and avoid scratches and pressure spots on the bronze (or other brittle) items.

Made also 3 extra steel casting coquilles to cast ingots/billets when I melt down bigger quantities of nonferrous scrap. Hope there strong enough while ‘ticking’ out the frozen billets :unsure:

Today is a ‘crucible lifter- and pouring shank making day’, with the new and heavy 35lbs crucibles I need better and saver equipment now.

DSC00815.JPG

DSC00816.JPG

DSC00836.JPG

Hey Das. That skier is awesome. Love him. I have not skied in in a few years so that guy brings back some fun memories.   On a design note, your guy should be leaning foward more and not looking like he is sitting in a chair. And you have to keep those skis parallel. Dont want your guy to crash :-)  

Went to detail clean the forge. Not good. Super sucker hood is all rotted. Got some replacement metal(stainless) for that then found the chimney was shot. Ugh! Coal is hard on thin metal. The one hole was covered by ash and stuff in the super sucker I uncovered by cleaning. I guess it sealed it untill today.  Check your hoods, stacks etc.  I though it was fine untill today. 

20181116_222001-1.jpg

Message_1542472721400-1.jpg

Working on ten simple cubicle hooks out of scrap metal, for work; just charging enough to pay for the next coupe of propane refills.

cubicleHook.jpg.7f9ede5d725b1a6473c864e2083d6156.jpg

Also wanted to show how handy a truncated anvil can be.  My travel vise setup is pretty flimsy so I clamped the bending jig to the anvil: (yes that;s a good sized C clamp; anvil was originally around 150#)

TRUNCANVILJIG.jpg.0d56ba5844940b50aece69655117bd75.jpg

And while I was taking photos I grabbed one of two different drop in hardy hole adapters: one made from angle iron the other from square tubing. For my 1.5" hardy holes I have 2 nesting square tubing ones I use to get it down to 1".

hardyHoleAdapters.jpg.b04c45aa6db26b8b5106e16245a43d47.jpg

JHCC. Thats what it is. Just moisture in the air etc. My chimney top is of the type that I dont have a cap but  a bigger section of pipe larger than the chimney that has a 1 inch gap between it and the chimney set 12 inches below the top of my chimney to 2 feet above the end of my chimney. It can pour rain and the forge is dry as a desert. Rain does not fall straight down. It hits at an angle inside the bigger pipe then just runs down the outside of my chimney. Beautiful design I stole from someone:-)

1542483352074.jpg

Got to play with the new Hobart Handler 187 mig welder that followed us home. I intended to just make some more tack welds on the rim of the side blast charcoal forge I'm making. What a pleasure over the old HF flux-core wire welder. I was having so much fun, I wound up welding the whole 60 inch circumference and ran out of 75/25 gas (the bottle was almost empty when I got it. Now I will have to listen to my wife about wasting wire & gas but it was worth it.:D(sorry no pictures)

Finished my first Bowie. The crossguard is wrought iron, the pins are brass, and the bolster is copper. The scales are bone (sanded and waxed), and the steel is coil spring (5160, perhaps).

Unfortunately, one of the scales cracked as I was tapping the last pin in place. Ah, well. Here’s hoping the epoxy holds things tight. 

Blade is 6-1/4”; total length is 11”.

820D05D0-42EF-48B0-8528-9804A0B61EE6.jpeg

EC9CD4D3-98AD-44BD-AF89-24CE22F4A8DA.jpeg

I think it looks good. Shame about the scale cracking. I can imagine the feeling and the words....

I think with the grind that it would be a little better with the bevel going further to the spine. The blade shape looks great. Really like the look. 

Short night in the shop for me. Was feeling like giving a small wolf paw touchmark another go. Starting stock was 3/8" star drill. I was trying to make it as small as I could. With what I have to use it wound up being 5/16". To do it over again I would start with atleast half inch rod. The thinner 3/8" feels like it wants to jump in the hit and it showed in a few test stamps. That could also be to it being 10" long and that thin. Ah well. I'll try again another day. Still feel it was successful enough. I might anneal it and tweak it a bit. Always learning more for the next time. 

20181117_211120.jpg