I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Look at gas welding rod or electric arc welding rod for a lighter weight material. Round to square is good practice, or leave it round. Bare rod is nice, or just remove the flux.

Nice project. fits the bun well  I would consider shortening the length of the keeper for the safety of others, and so it would not get snagged on things.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job CC, makes it twice as valuable because you made it for your sister :)

It is probably too heavy to be practical but making it with lighter stock now that you made one, will be easy. If you forge a little bump in the pin just in the right place so that it can not slide out too easy, you can make it shorter. 

I have not spent much time at the forge the last couple of weeks. I forced myself to remove everything from my main shop and clean and organize it. A lot of it went into my 40 foot storage container.  It feels good to have room to work and a clean shop.
I also spent a few days putting ridgidizer and refractory on the door of the forge

. The goal was to turn these pieces of 3/8" round bar into square bar and taper the ends.
This was the first time I used my new 2 pound Mustad rounding hammer I got at Tractor Supply. It was also the first time I used tongs while working.  Previously the square bar I was using was long enough that I didnt need tongs. 

I have a friend coming over tomorrow. He will teach me blacksmithing for a few hours and I will teach him TIG welding.
Pointers or suggestions are always welcome.

20181123_155138.jpg

20181123_154051.jpg

Edited by psacustomcreations
Wrong about time about time at the forge

Got in a few hours today.  Practiced some new techniques on the treadle hammer, and made some tools I’d been thinking about for a while. 

A dog-head hammer from the hexagonal end of a torsion bar:

E5ACAFCC-CF89-4B9D-98D5-06638D47D890.jpeg

And a pair of horizontal-style scrolling tongs:

93D6481D-BC5E-4C8F-9DA6-B098A28DEB31.jpeg

(Also made a bunch of mistakes, from which I hopefully learned some good lessons.)

Today I got my highest layer count to date.. if no loss through scale and grinding, 640. I’m gonna call it 600. To see what it looked like, I cut a 1/4” x 1/4” X 2” slice off the billet and hammered it thin in 2 directions just to see. Made a goofy little keychain!

And it survived being hammered on the side of the grain, pretty stoked about that.

stack progression: 20:80:320:640

2F65C347-FCA0-43A9-B06C-F3C3D870EC23.thumb.jpeg.8d054c287c306e8271e6ad392b89986c.jpegEED05415-2F48-4F10-8A88-1B91FF79DFCF.thumb.jpeg.8e3106497f569fd0fa81a7d19e5696c8.jpeg2A929BAC-1187-4B2E-A10F-D3E8BD134E0A.thumb.jpeg.ec39949b93a7cd035162249d2995b632.jpeg13DFC7FA-C1E3-479D-919A-CF7F76B5E7D5.thumb.jpeg.9717ece217c6562c6e560fc297f61664.jpeg38F1CF3D-908D-4785-8B58-41CA5433D7A8.thumb.jpeg.e3d70b4f1b115eab757baa11cc0e1555.jpeg4AEFE330-8775-43A2-B318-5D4B10AD2260.thumb.jpeg.c2f3b83d307824b89851a82cfb73c801.jpeg

Historically, this kind of hammer was used where you wanted precise, flat blows: knifemaking and filemaking are two well-known examples. British knifemaker Owen Bush (IFI member Badger) has a good YouTube video showing use of such hammers.

Also, note the hammer used in this video of Albert Craven, the last production hand-forger of blades in Sheffield:

https://youtu.be/zpeyhC-UIFg 

Wow JHCC! That old master in the video is amazing. He forged 288 knives a day at his peak! And how quickly and accurately he could still bang a knife out blew my mind. I laughed out of disbelief! Truly an inspiring smith. Thanks for sharing.

Completed a gift for my oldest son. He wanted a hanger from Amazon for his headphones. Why buy when I can make. I had started this project a few weeks ago (had to let my arm heal as you will see why...)

The starting stock was 1.25" 4140 round bar about 7.5" long. I drew this out by hand to a point about 14" long, leaving the original stock size at base. Process photos in the link show drawing it out and some sucker welding pics. Once the taper was finished, I welded the beads on and then let my arm rest for a week.... haha... actually this was last Sunday and I generally only forge on the weekends. Yesterday I finished the suckers, and then put a curve to it as much as I could. The 4140 is really tough to bend after its about .75" diameter, but It worked well for the hanger hook. I also forged out the base from some 3/16 x 4 square giving it a star shape with some texture. I didn't want to have exposed weld bead at the base, so I drilled a couple holes in the back to weld the 2 pieces together.  Worked out well, and I think he will be stoked.

The Imgur album for the rest of the photos.. https://imgur.com/a/MWfRrRG

20181123_173640.jpg

20181123_173645.jpg

1 hour ago, olydemon said:

Completed a gift for my oldest son. He wanted a hanger from Amazon for his headphones. Why buy when I can make.

Very nice bit of work!

And you're right, no reason to buy something when you can make something of such good quality!  That's a hook he'll have for decades into the future, maybe buried in a box somewhere, but you can be sure he'll remember it fondly when he runs across it again!

Good job on the plug-welding from the back.  The crisp transition is exactly what it called for.

The only thing I would have suggested different would have been to drill a 3/4" hole in the base plate and chisel through a few radial lines.  Then you could have drifted the hole open larger, driving the "spikes" out much like you see when a rifle round punches through some sheet metal.  Insert the tentacle, weld from the back, and then glue on some felt or leather to hide the joint.  It would look like the tentacle was breaching through and you'd have a convenient way to hide the joint with a scratch-free surface.

Love those suckers on the tentacles.  Makes me wish I had a MIG gun instead of the ol' stick-burner!  I've tried and tried, but I just can't make that happen with the arc welder.

That's one heavy duty headphone hanger. Awesome work. It is a lot of work moving that size material by hand. 

I haven't made any of these yet but when I do I know the first ten or so will probably get claimed by my better half. 

Love the idea for the backing plate Vaughn. 

Made a quadruple hook for the kitchen: the top three for colanders and the bottom one for mesh strainers. 

28915E64-6F84-4546-9A0C-C85DEC899837.jpeg

(Imagine my surprise when this random piece of salvaged scrap turned out to be high carbon and one of the hooks snapped off. Thank goodness for MIG welding.)

Also started another bowl in the new hollowing form.

B7477795-597A-4FB4-94B4-D42E3681B109.jpeg

finished up this 20 oz hammer that I had forged a while back. I polished the faces to cover up a bad blow from a striker....I kinda like this style but not really at the same time.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_1971[1].JPG

IMG_1975[1].JPG

IMG_1974[1].JPG

Well Mark, you can always send your rejects to me for proper disposal. :lol: looks great. 

PSA, its great learning from someone else in person eh? Nice job. Punching holes gets better and easier once you get the hang of it. 

John, I've certainly had the " surprise! I'm high carbon steel silly." Hit me before. Oops....