I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Today was a continuation of yesterday's taper practice. Based on the advice I received yesterday, I put a piece of 1/4" plywood on the anvil and hit that a few times to see how the hammer was actually hitting. 

Shown is the face of the hammer I am using. 

I measured yesterday's taper to see how long it became.
Then I marked it again and continued the taper process.  

I taught myself MIG and TIG and know padding beads can be boring but it teaches the motion and consistency.  I am trying to use the same thought for this craft.

20181111_145526.jpg

20181111_152508.jpg

20181111_144522.jpg

20181111_155141.jpg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're doing fine, like most any craft it's a little knowledge and a LOT of practice. Have fun and don't sweat things that don't go the way you think they should. Keep notes, especially if something weird happened you might want to do THAT thing on a future project. Honest it happens more than you think. 

Frosty The Lucky.

In between waiting for a message for the factory that I could start working remotely on an issue that had us working OT I fired up the forge and did around 10 cubicle hooks from scrap. (They hang on your cubicle wall and allow you to hang your coat and backpack on them.) Every time a set went into the forge I can in and checked email and im...Luckily my computer was about 10' from my forge and right next to the door... I check the fit tomorrow and then will work on finishing them.  The last one took a quarter of the time as my first one and they would go even faster if I was at my shop with appropriate tooling.

Thomas.. Dude you gotta show some pictures..    Maybe others would want to steal your idea.. Hint, hint.. 

Motomike, I'm gonna use your design if that is ok..  I like how you offset the eyes also..  Good work is good work and thanks for showing it..  There have been so many people on here that their work just gets better and better.. It's amazing to see and watch as you guys grow..    It's awesome.. :) 

I should have posted this and asked yesterday. 

As I was making my tapers, the last half inch of one end split. I assume it was from working it too cold. I continued to heat and beat and it seems to have closed up but not fused/welded.

With my limited skill/tools I also assume the best option is to cut off and start over. Is is possible to forge weld this back together and if so, how? I am thinking if this happened early in a project, cut and start over. But if the piece was cut to length and you were somewhat near completion,  how do you save it?

20181112_080746.jpg

20181112_081316.jpg

If you need to make a number of similar items and they are prone to having issues or they need to be quite exactly similar; make more than you need and then place the "seconds" on the shelf for a different one.  Usually much easier to make a spare as you go along than try to get one made later.

Das,

I am one of those strange people that don't watch TV and have never seen an episode of Forged in Fire. 

Not that I have anything against those who are making knives.  I just took up this skill for art and sculpture purposes.  Some of the knives and swords I have seen here and other places are pieces of art and the makers are true artists of the trade.  

Another thing you can do in a pinch, is cut it off with an angle grinder, weld a sacrificial extra bit of steel on the end, and then finish the paper and cut the excess off. It's a botchy kinda way to fix it, but if it's at the end of a few weeks into a piece it could save ya

.If it's just decorative and you don't want to make another, weld the crack, give it a light grind then light forging to get the look back. 

I've tried forge welding things like that back together with limited success. 

Blades aside, you could possibly slightly change the design a little If it could fit what you are making. 

Often I will do as Thomas mentiones and make extra pieces to pick the best matching pieces to use. 

Please share some photos of your work. We love seeing what others are doing. :)