• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suggest you keep the first touchmark as is and make a second one with the modifications. If things do not work out, you still have the first touchmark that you can use. If they do work out then you have two working touchmarks. You may want to make the second touchmark say 1-1/2 times as tall so it can be easily seen of medium to large projects. The size makes things easier to work with and make the details of the mark larger.

Nice looking mark.

Helena, making a touchmark can often be easier than you might think.  Anneal your steel first for it to be as soft as possible.  A set of small files and a Dremel tool with small cutoff wheels, carbide and or diamond bits can get the job done.  Sometimes a drill press can help as well.  Just go SLOWLY and be patient.

I just used a coulpe of smallish cold chisels to raise a lip then filed the lip off once I was deep enough in and hardened them.. Drawn to a bronze.. These are hot use only so will last my life time and then some.. Sometimes today I want to make another one as I can do better now with the initials making them cleaner but more than likely never will.. 

This has stamped 1000's of items.. 

20180823_185733.jpg

20181113_175959.jpg

JLP, thanks for the ideas. Always love seeing your work as well. 

Vaughn, I think I've heard the story behind your forge name but cant remember. It always throws me off because I'm from the Pittsburgh PA. Area and we have 3 rivers that meet, and a lot of "3rivers" this or that. 

You could make a Y symbolizing the 3 rivers and T R F inbetween the y parts. 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:17 AM, ausfire said:

Don't know what kind of steel this flat coil spring is, but I might get it hot and stretch it out. Perhaps it would be good collar material. Or perhaps not.

Anyone used this stuff?

spring.JPG

Heavy equipment trailers use these to help you lift the door on the tongue of the trailer, up at the front. They’re tucked up in there but there could be 2 to 4 on a trailer!

Well, I didn't get into my forge today or indeed do any forging at all. However, I did find myself (in the middle of a long drive through the state of Maine) passing by the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, so I stopped in to check it out. Dereck Glaser was teaching an intro class, but took a few minutes to welcome me and show me the forge. They have a great selection of demo pieces from past visiting instructors, including Mark Aspery, Peter Ross, and IFI members Wayne Coe and Frank Turley (among many others). Great place to visit, and I hope I have a chance to come back for a longer visit some time.

Yep, I've done a few, too.  I don't get the lifting tab as neat as that though. I like the very clear oval shape there. 

People have called me a vandal for using good spanners to make bottle openers, especially if they see a Whitworth W stamped on. I rarely use a valuable spanner and the other end is often broken. What's your excuse , Mark? :)

thank you Ranchmanben!

Aus, thank you. Haha I've never had any comments other than oh those are cool, maybe its just a location difference. I have forged craftsmen and snap on before. Yes I said snap on. I get them at the scrap yard, and I already have more wrenches than I need and so I just look at it that before I got them they were just gunna be thrown away and melted down so I'm doing them a favor for actually doing something more meaningful with them. I hang on to the old ford wrenches though that I find I dont forge them.

Littleblacksmith