Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Chris Comtois said:

I store mine this way and it's great!  I did discover, though, that you need to UNWIND them ALL THE WAY when you use them!  I had a 50' cord wrapped up like this, only needed about 10' to plug in my skill-saw.  A couple of hours of heavy use later, I smelled smoke and noticed the insulation on the wrapped up part smoking!  Seems common-sense now, but I never realized I was basically making an induction coil. 

Sometimes I just despair for the human race.  

Here we are thousands of years and countless generations of technological advance and yet something so fundamental as unwinding an extension reel is still beyond our wit. 

How could anybody be so...so...I am just lost for words....

Alan

IMG_3188.thumb.JPG.d338a98a9b1f145309c2a19a1c9bba17.JPG

Not so much unwind as wind up. 

Alan, your Darwin Award partner with a thirty five year old cable kept as an awful warning. 

1 hour ago, Alan Evans said:

Here we are thousands of years and countless generations of technological advance and yet something so fundamental as unwinding an extension reel is still beyond our wit. 

To be fair, we've only had induction coils for less than two hundred years, and most people don't even know how they work.

Back in the old days of people having only 1 TV and having to run wire to an outside antenna; one of my EET instructors was doing TV repair and ran across one where a family's TV was not getting a certain channel in the kitchen but was working fine in the living room.  Everything looked up to spec; finally he noticed that the antenna wire was extra long allowing them to move the TV from room to room and was very neatly and very tightly coiled.

He unfastened the ties and threw the antenna wire across the kitchen floor and bingo the missing channel appeared.  They were coiling the antenna on a piece of cardboard tubing and had created an inductor that "filtered" that particular frequency by chance.

I have seen and used many wound up extension cords without heating like that. Being that it is AC, and 60hz I would not think a strong coil was made. I have seen DC current used to make a coil/electromagnet. Now I have smoked a long extension cord with nothing more than a weedeater. I had one long cord plugged into another one to reach the far corner of my parents old place. It smoked the plug right at the handle.

That one was done with a 9" angle grinder slicing off an extremely hard and resilient metre of 60mm strip of 1600˚C furnace floor. Took about twenty minutes to cook.

Alan

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

To be fair, we've only had induction coils for less than two hundred years, and most people don't even know how they work.

To be fair, it would not have been so much of a wind up if I had taken that into consideration. :)

Alan

Well, I was planning to make some things after work yesterday (finish a pair of tongs, make a new towel hook for the kitchen and a hook to hold the fireplace tongs, etc), but then the minister showed up to talk about the memorial service on Saturday for my mother-in-law.

In the end, the only thing I made in the forge was this:

IMG_2256.JPG

(The minister, by the way, keeps badgering me to make him a sword.)

1 minute ago, JHCC said:

Well, I was planning to make some things yesterday (finish a pair of tongs, make a new towel hook for the kitchen and a hook to hold the fireplace tongs, etc), but then the minister showed up to talk about the memorial service on Saturday for my mother-in-law.

In the end, the only thing I made in the forge was this:

Snip

Well it has potential...

I hope you use potentiometers on that side of the Atlantic...I think my unwind / wind-up was lost in translation and fell a bit flat.

I hadn't realised "wind up" was English slang rather than english slang.

Alan

589c6810cde6a_ScreenShot2017-02-09at12_52_38.thumb.png.80f25d60ac547d67a17c5aee4c64683f.png

Sometimes we just need to take a moment to unwind or we might wind up frayed. 

JHCC, it's a good start. 

I finished the 6 roses last night. It was snowing pretty heavily and just as I was taking a break after clear coating them the power went out. At least it let me finish them.  I walked carefully to the shop door in the dark, knowing there was an anvil horn pointed my way, and got my flashlight. 

Power was still off this morning when I left for work. If it is still off when I get home I will really be wishing I had got one of my champion 400 blowers finished and back together. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am just getting negative vibes here.

There I was minding my own business, idly chainsawing a halving joint in some Jarrah sleepers for a railway themed sculpture I am making and thought...I shall respond to JHCC and explain that I am going to shuffle off and lick my wounds having decided that resistance is futile in the face of such an onslaught...and blow me down Frosty got there first! 

Enough to make one blow a fuse.

Alan

ps Actually mine was going to be "resistance is useless" but that's another story.