I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

12 hours ago, George N. M. said:

A hasp is a latch or loop for a padlock which holds or locks the door shut.  A hinge is just the pivot which allows a door or gate to swing. 

Many hasps are hinged; not all hinges are hasps.

Also, lots of things incorporate hinges besides doors and gates. Treasure chests, automobile hoods, and some varieties of motor mount spring to mind, as does a certain Hossfeld #2 Universal Bender stand....

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far, only 3/16” x 1” flat bar. I’ll be trying out some other stock later; Hossfeld says the capacity for theirs is up to 3/16” flat and 1/4” round. 

I did not have the bale (iirc that is what it is called) in the pic. Mainly becuase i had yet to make it. So first thing today a i made it. Maybe seeing all the parts will help with what a hasp is compared to a hinge. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3192665c6c8e2c62d0d05a717c15eded.jpeg

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nice bull dozer die John, how wide have you tried to bend in it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Last night, I tried to bend a piece of 3/16” x 3” scrap, which took the handle extension and pretty much all my strength. While it did bend most of the way to 90°, the 60B1 pin started to bend a little. I straightened it out on the anvil with a few blows from a hand sledge, but I think if I need to bend anything that big in future, I’ll probably do it hot. I think I’ll also go ahead with my plan to case-harden the pin, to give it a bit more rigidity. 

IMG_8645.thumb.jpeg.4a8f46f7f79bedf6b920f6043b71b61b.jpeg

While I was in the shop, I also made a keeper chain to ensure that I won’t lose the handle extension pin:

IMG_8646.thumb.jpeg.e054397afb048359f775664ec946477d.jpeg

And did some more cleanup on the current railing project:

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.07916e2d510adcf8d66db735ed76986d.jpeg

The new vise stand is proving to be extremely useful for this kind of thing, although Lola seems unimpressed. 

Bending hot is normal enough in a Hossfeld, Case hardening only effects a couple thousandths of the surface and doesn't add to stiffness in any meaningful way. Maybe buy stronger steel or send it to a professional heat treater? I know it flies in the face of DIY but sometimes it's the best and most cost effective.

Lola has seen the vise stand, I don't think she'll show more interest in something new or yummy.

Frosty The Lucky.

The thought was adding a harder skin to the outside might affect its resistance to compression on side and tension on the other (kind of like a lally column). Alternately, I can always root around in the pile of shafts and axles to see if there’s anything there that’s the right size.

I'm afraid that isn't something a couple thousandths of most anything can do. Case hardening is generally for abrasion resistance and or friction reduction. Any difference is compressive of rigidity it made would require pretty delicate instruments to detect and measure. 

I think it's a thought we've all had at one time or another.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like a nice place to tour. What is the device with the pneumatic(?) cylinder on the floor in front of the forge? It appears to be plumbed or wired to the hammer on the right.

Thanks for sharing your visit.

Frosty The Lucky.

You bet.. 

Not really sure which photo you are referring too..  There is a pneumatic shear that is in one photo. 

On the right side of the hammers, The shrouded foot pedal is the electric/pneumatic activator on the hammers.. No foot treadle.. (Foot treadles are not osha approved)

Was very interesting..     I was told that most of the hammers are worn out..   This was before I saw the operation.. 

Closed die hammers need a very tight running tolerance..  Open die hammers not so much..   I mentioned this to the engineer.. :)   I'd be happy to have one of the hammers show up at the school.. 

These are drop hammers power up only..     The really big hammer is a hydraulic/pneumatic hammer and has power up and power down. 

4th pic down, rectangular open top box. There is a long lever type arm pointing downward connected to a ram on the lower left side. Looking more closely, there is a foot switch between it and Chambersburg on the right. It appears to be in front of and almost directly below the opening on the forge and to the hammer operator's left on the floor right next to the floor fan. It is in almost all the pics of the front of this hammer's operator's position.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that is the air shear.  They forge 4 bits at a time.. they cut them into 2, 2bit sections before the bar goes back in the electric oven. 

I'm teaching a "forge welding" class up at Haystack Mountain Craft Center in a month and member Hikerjohnson here, is going to be my assistant.. 

So Saturday he came down to go over course outline and to show him how I work these projects out..  I made the item, then HikerJ's turn..  These of the sample pieces I forged.  

We made really good time.. Hiker (AKA  Eric) is a smith on his own right and runs a shop up in Maine

20240413_142919.jpg

20240413_142936.jpg

20240414_185209.jpg

I really need to get to a couple schools soon.  I wonder if I could get my company to pay to further my education.  They benefit whenever I make a new tool to b make life easier.  Jennifer do you have a list of classes your going to teach online?

Anyway this evening I started converting an attempt at a funky designed sword to a pizza cutter.  It wad from my second year of smithing.  It was goofy looking but I was trying to concentrate on getting the steel to move where I wanted it to go.  Never finished it, cut off a piece for a different project.  Also made a quick jig for doing dinner bells so I get more consistent results faster

received_913205837253516.jpeg

Another good quote and applicable to blacksmithing is one which has been attributed to Hippocrates (5th-4th century BC), Geoffery Chaucer (1382, and used on a fireplace by Gustav Stickley (early 20th century):  "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."  (using Chaucer's language).

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

When your press is a little light and you can’t bolt it to the floor, but you DO have an old sink, two buckets, a couple of barbell plates, and a wheelbarrow full of sand…

IMG_8653.thumb.jpeg.e6aac59e4da9038c09c234271cf02454.jpeg

Yes, it is an industry-standard kitchen sink. It's also an IFI-recommended *salvaged* kitchen sink.

Also, in the established tradition of reusing everything, the sand was previously the fill of my old side-blast coal forge.

I took JHCC's advice and used a flap disk to grind down the rough spots; then I gun-blued it to give it a black finish. And I must say, it does look much better than before.

20240416_145811.jpg

20240404_193448.jpg

first picture is the after and the second is before

Glad to see you didn't take the reusing everything to the level of kitty litter sand.

Still looks good GTF and gun bluing won't care about hot pans on it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Definite improvement.  It can be surprising how much some finish work can improve a project.

one suggestion:  For the next iteration I suggest drawing out the ends of the X and turning them up 90 degrees to avoid the possibility of a pot sliding off the edge.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."