I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I got to my first craft fair of the season Sunday, didn't do as well as I hoped but I covered the booth fee.  I spent so much time in the last week finishing up items that I didn't get pictures of some things.  Anyway I had redesigned my roses and played around with how I set them up.  Standing,  laying,  leaf number, and heat colors.

20230505_170333.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Purple Bullet said:

produces copious quantities of chanterelles.

Evey once in a while you can find a chanterelle. Morels are most common to find, especially this time of year. Hen of the woods, boletes, and puff balls are the other most common ones. 

Finished up this drop point hunter commission the other day. I dont particularly enjoy making knives but seems to be the only thing people are buying lately. 5" edge. Handle is stablized red dyed buckeye burl with aluminum honeycomb encased in resin. 

drop point hunter.jpg

I am beginning to beleive my house has a haint. We have strange bumps, thumps, and crashes from time to time, like for instance one night me and the wife heard a loud crash and all the shampoo bottles, body wash, and the other lotions and potions, creams and salves the wife keep in the shower all lying in the tub. Now my house was built in 1892 and moved to its current location in the 1920's. All real hardwood floors and trim, 12' ceilings, even still has old push button style light switches, knob and tube wiring in part of the basement, etc. So there is a lot of history in it. Anyway, last night i was in my shop putting out my fire. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. It was the hand crank on my blower, slowly turning all by it lonesome. I tried to convince myself that i just bumped it but when i let go in use it will keep turning 3 or 4 turns. This was many more turns than if i had just bumped it. 

In a previous house we would hvae knocks and things move. Heard an old timey phone ringing over a baby monitor once, the ringing was unlike any phone we had. Another time a plainy heard the door open, some one come in and door close. And yep there was nobody there except me.

Good to see you again Gandalfgreen, what's been happening? Have any unearthly happenings in your house, shop, school, etc.?

No spookiness here, we just have a boring old house that makes perfectly explainable noises, usually in spring and fall with the temperature change. A couple few feet of snow sliding off the roof can be scary if you don't know what it is, shakes the whole place. It excites the dogs every time. 

If we start hearing the doorbell ring we'll let you know, I didn't put one in when I built the place.

Frosty The Lucky.

At our old house (1907) in Greeley, CO Martha and I would occasionally heard footsteps upstairs when we were downstairs, the occasional thump, or hear a door moving.  We just commented that the poltergist was moving around.  As long as it wasn't anything particularly disurbing of malevelent we just figured that we had co-occupants from earlier owners and occupants.  Nothing scary but kinda cool.

GNM

I've been working on my ABANA NC Level 1 homework.  The online presentations are good, especially when coupled with Mark Aspery's book and other resources.  I set up my forge in the back yard and do my work on Wednesday (took the day off from work) and yesterday afternoon.

The tapers came out half decent.  I'm going to make another go of it, though, to achieve the recommended taper length.  My s-hook shape is good but I made the ends two different designs: one was flattened, the other curved.  I'll repeat the exercise, also.  And my stylized leaf came out fairly well, also.

I have to start working on the second assignment, which is making a punch, a slitter, a hot cut chisel, and a drift.  This is working towards making other tools necessary for the final project: the gate latch.

abana_nclvl1_homework.jpg

backyard_forge_setup.jpg

Frosty Have had to switch jobs and look8ng for a second now. Restaurants where destroying my mental health and family. So I got out. Went back to the local community college for better hours just cooking  but less pay and then you name it something I own broke 1 after another and just been digging out this whole. life decided to drop the bottom out on me at once to make sure I was still active.  Almost back to sea level but want to get some saved up.

Hopefully with the pandemic pretty well over and folks starting to get back in operation things will start looking up for you GandalfGreen, it hasn't been a great time for any of us.

Beautiful as always Alex and impressive for one day's work.

Frosty The Lucky.