I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I'd have been on that deal like soy sauce on rice! I'm almost afraid to ask when I see one for sale. Just to remind myself of the odds of me finding that kind of deal I did a quick search. More than $15k for new and typically around $1k used.

Yeah, nothing's changed. Enjoy the slice you lucky dog.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much shop time this weekend, alas, but I did sneak in for an hour to upset the end of a 1-1/4” round bar to 1-3/4” x 2”. This will form the shoulder of a 1” x 1-3/4” tenon to help turn a RR spike maul into a stake anvil. 

75AF0E43-1FA9-4D8E-B1E2-96EE39865ABF.jpeg

5F220E19-A7F6-40FC-8B48-B4AFF0F1A82E.jpeg

585A1040-89C1-4CE5-95CC-3CAC15A9CCB4.jpeg

Spot-heating with a rosebud is a wonderful thing for upsetting. 

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

More than $15k for new and typically around $1k used.

Everything really is more expensive in Alaska! I’ve seen a couple of ads lately for a used B2 for $550 and a B3 for $800. Still well outside my price range, unfortunately. 

Started on getting the anvil and vice protected with blo. Anvil has its first coat. Vice presented me with some struggles getting the screw box out but it's out now and it also has its first coat. Didn't get to the rest of the vice. The second vice which I picked up from the farm auction on Thursday is all rusted stiff. So I'm playing the waiting game on that. Sprayed a heavy hand of pb blaster, gave it some heavy love taps with a board/hammer, sprayed it again and put it away. 

George,

Thomas is correct. See below for specs from the current owner of the production facility and link to the B3. 

Mittler Brothers bought all of the patents and original tooling equipment from Beverly and are now the official producer of Beverly shears. The B3 new is $1445. Used I usually see them around $800-$100. 

In addition to the gauge reference, it will cut up to 3/16" bar stock. The B2 is a little cheaper but with less cutting capacity, and the B1 is less still, but IMHO only suitable if you are doing thin sheet, like aircraft body work. 

[commercial link removed]

• 7 Ga mild steel capacity
  • 10 Ga stainless steel capacity

Edited by Mod34
Removed commercial link per TOS

I did not start this yesterday, but finished it yesterday.  My first forged piece ever.  Made in my new Mr. Volcano forge.  I was thinking a place to hang a hat, but a buddy at work thought coat/jacket hanger.  Could just as well throw a hat on it, too.  It needs more cleaning up and a proper finish.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe4535d2f77e6129e869857962496fc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d17114a65d7da5e1c4256dae56be43cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e1550533fb7b554b41d443f22cacf712.jpeg

Been helping a beginner out. Set up a slide show of all the pictures in my BS folder on the computer. This hook rack came up as a possible future project. Spent almost 3 hours figuring out the bends (so it will still fit in the gas forge) and the process for a tutorial sketch. Rivets are just cut off box nails.

IMG_0150.jpeg

I got a similar deal on my Bev B3 a few decades ago. A blacksmith/machinist was selling out and headed to the Azores to set up a blacksmith shop. He had rebuilt it and offered it for sale in the "Ring". I was the lucky one to get it. Best lady in the shop! 

I can force 5/16" mild steel thru it and use it primarily for leafwork etc.