I Forge Iron

Musical forging

Well, we've all banged to music on the anvils, or rang them for the fun of it.  I got sidetracked by the Google doodle this week and have been a little obsessed with making a mbira, the African instrument with the plucked metal keys.  When I start looking at traditional versions, it seems to be mostly cold forged, but with a lot of work and tweaking and it's got a cool sound.  I'll post pics if it doesn't come out a complete flop.  Y'all know any more forged instruments?  Apparently steel guitar is usually just a name.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on this forum that an anvil itself is used as a percussion instrument sometimes. There was a link to a piece of music that the anvil was used in, but my memory is a bit foggy and I can't remember if it was actually a smithing anvil used or a different instrument with the same name. It was pretty interesting though!

Greetings all,

The anvil is used sometimes as a musical Instrument. About a year ago I played the solo trumpet part for second suite in F by Gustov Holst. The 3rd movement is called “Song of the Blacksmith”, an it involves an anvil. There are specific moments where the ring of the anvil sounds throughout the song, I offered to bring my Peter Wright in as the original score called for a real anvil, but the director went for a brake drum instead :blink:. I’ve linked the song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nz7tvRdL94 (I do not believe this link breaks the rules, if it does, sincere apologies.)

-Mark

That was GREAT John! I needed a good smile and that was just plain fun. it was almost enough to make me want to listen to more classical. . . Rock and Roll. 

That might be the music Little Joe and Hoss were beating on an anvil with sledge hammer to in an episode of Bonanza.  I remember them doing it in time with the music but it's been a while.

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny indeed, however if you want to talk music that incorporates the blacksmith beating the anvil, you can not go past Verdi and his aria "La Gitanella" or the little gipsy girl. The Gipsy is the blacksmith who sings "Who makes the Gipsy's days better? The Gipsy girl! " 

In the below rendition the anvil beating musician is not a comedian but can fortunately keep his tempo.

The choice of a lady playing the part of the male blacksmith is very PC :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, Marc1 said:

The choice of a lady playing the part of the male blacksmith is very PC

Especially seeing as how they had a male on the opposite side in stereo, showing that there is no gender for blacksmiths

Would a cow bell be considered a forged instrument? "Needs more cowbell" 

Also look into Mickey Hart from the Grateful Dead. He played a lot of different percussion instruments. Among them one was "The Beam"  an aluminum I-beam that was strung with piano wire he played. You can hear it on the "Apocalypse Now" sound track, among many live shows. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, billyO said:

Especially seeing as how they had a male on the opposite side in stereo, showing that there is no gender for blacksmiths

Ha ha. Verdi wrote the opera "Il Trovatore" in 1853. The blacksmith in the play is a man, a Gypsy that is in love with a Gypsy girl. Verdi did not have blacksmiths and their gender role in mind, only a love story for the audience to enjoy.  The play clearly portrays a man blacksmith. Did the gypsy girl also have hammer skills? Verdi did not include such possiblity in his libretto. but at that point in time in the opera, the singer is the blacksmith, one lonely man singing to his love as he beats the anvil. 

I suppose that next time they remake the movie Braveheart they will change the role to a female actor? ... Joan of Arc played by a man? possible, perhaps will draw more audience too :)

The Anvil Chorus:

Gypsy men and women:
See how the clouds melt away
from the face of the sky when the sun shines, its brightness beaming;
just as a widow, discarding her black robes,
shows all her beauty in brilliance gleaming.

So, to work now!
Lift up your hammers!

Who turns the Gypsy's day from gloom to brightest sunshine?
His lovely Gypsy maid!

Men:
Fill up the goblets! New strength and courage
flow from lusty wine to soul and body.

All:
See how the rays of the sun play and sparkle
and give to our wine gay new splendor.
So, to work now!

Who turns the Gypsy's day from gloom to brightest sunshine?
His lovely Gypsy maid!

The plot of the opera il trovatore is dark and sinister as they all usually are, and the main characters are women. 

The blacksmith role however is just background and male. 

• 4 weeks later...