I Forge Iron

Sandy is in the hospital again

Charles R. Stevens

As is all to often the case, mental health is two steps forward and one back.

Sandy was admitted to Norman regional hospital again. they have already changed her medication and the social worker is working in geting us psyciatric home health care. 

Thank you in advance for your prayers and suport.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you all. I've had to deal with my own mental health issues and also had a family member who suffered from mental health issues as well as dementia at the end of her life. It sometimes looks as though there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I could offer some advice that could help but unfortunately all I can say is you all are in my thoughts and If ever you need a sympathetic ear I am here. 

Pnut

Thank you all. 

As most of you already know I my self have type II bipolar illness and PTSD but I have been in treatment since 1990 or so. Sandy has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and PTSD. She didn’t start treatment but about 4 years ago. She also has Hypo thyroidism and has developed type II diabetics due to antipsychotic use. This combined with the shorted of mental health care personel has complicated the mater of finding effective treatment for her. 

Ouch; it's a rough season to be in a hospital or to have someone you care about be in the hospital.  Remember to take care of yourself so you will be there when she can come back home.

Kneemail sent for both of you---and don't resist asking for help even with things like the chores/animal tending.  Folks are out there for you!

My baby brother had schizophrenia. There really wasn’t a lot of decent help. Still isn’t. Plus people don’t really understand mental illness. 

If you have cancer, people are sympathetic. Someone with schizophrenia is just avoided and whispered about. Someone with major depression, same thing except normally people aren’t afraid of them. They are full of helpful advice for them as well. “Just get happy” is a common thing they say.

I will be praying for you both. 

Thank you Mr Harris. As you well know most patients quit their antipsychotics in 16-18 months due to side effects. Luckily we have a good community of friends that just care how crazy we are ;-).

When people start with the fear mongering remind them that the seriously mentally ill comprise 15% of the population wile only committing 1% of the violent crimes.    

30 minutes ago, DHarris said:

Someone with major depression, same thing except normally people aren’t afraid of them. They are full of helpful advice for them as well. “Just get happy” is a common thing they say.

Just get up and get over it was something I heard along with sometimes you just gotta suck it up, but going through the motions is Not the same thing as living and the absolute worst thing I think I've heard is, "You're never given more than you can bear."  The whole subject makes people uncomfortable and that's when the cliches and platitudes come out in spades but it seems here is a group of people who actually care about the well being of each other and I'd like to say thank you to you all for letting me be a part of it. 

Pnut