Roy56

What works best to free rusted parts

I have a M1 carbine that wasn't in a stock a customer brought in. It isn't rusted just frozen up  where it has sit for so long. I have all the Blacksmith solutions I can think of in the shop but, still I cannot get the trigger and hammer to move. Finally got the slide and magazine buttons to move. Safety and trigger till won't budge.

Lane Custom Hydrographics

USMilitary_M1Carbine_schem.jpg

Edited by Roy56
Name change.

I get some of the oddest requests for things to do. It is going to cost more for me to repair, restore and restock the rifle than one would cost at a pawn shop

7 hours ago, Steve Shimanek said:

Break Free:D

Thank you

same guy brought me a FN49. No stock, parts missing with a schematic for a Enfield No 1 MK 3. Tool 3 days to convince him what he really had. But, as long as he wants to pay me, I'll keep looking for parts and putting them together

20190925_141104.jpg

Like most of the previous posters I use WD40 or GT85. Unfortunately the rules behind taking substances on site these days and needing full COSH assessments for everything don't allow home mixed concoctions. 

Way back when though on compressors with 2 foot diameter I would put a couple of inches of paraffin and diesel on the top of the cylinder and light it with a rag, it heated the cylinder and the oil mix got very hot and thin and worked it way right through. 

The rusted parts took a while to get that way. Do not get in a hurry to free them up and working.  

The parts will eventually break loose by using one or more of the above methods. Give which ever method you choose time to work. 

The muzzleloading forum that I belong to recommends EVAPORUST.  I have not tried it as no one around here carries it. I Use PB Blaster and Naval Jelly. These guys are using it on antique flintlocks, and It supposedly doesn't leave a grey film like Naval Jelly.

I use Evaporust on items like barrel's & reciever's, flat surfaces of all muzzleloader's & MILSERP  arms I'm restoring. However to loosen frozen parts like bolts, trigger assembly's, locks etc. the mix of acetone & trans fluid or Kroil works better for me.

Have you tried Walmart?  The one near me carries EVAP-O-RUST and naval jelly. I know different stores, different stock. 

I like ATF/acetone

Pnut