Jump to content
I Forge Iron

What works best to free rusted parts

Recommended Posts

 I have a M1 carbine that wasn't in a stock a customer brought in. It isn't rusted just frozen up  where it has sit for so long. I have all the Blacksmith solutions I can think of in the shop but, still I cannot get the trigger and hammer to move. Finally got the slide and magazine buttons to move. Safety and trigger till won't budge.

 Lane Custom Hydrographics


Edited by Roy56
Name change.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get some of the oddest requests for things to do. It is going to cost more for me to repair, restore and restock the rifle than one would cost at a pawn shop

7 hours ago, Steve Shimanek said:

Break Free:D

Thank you

same guy brought me a FN49. No stock, parts missing with a schematic for a Enfield No 1 MK 3. Tool 3 days to convince him what he really had. But, as long as he wants to pay me, I'll keep looking for parts and putting them together


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like most of the previous posters I use WD40 or GT85. Unfortunately the rules behind taking substances on site these days and needing full COSH assessments for everything don't allow home mixed concoctions. 

Way back when though on compressors with 2 foot diameter I would put a couple of inches of paraffin and diesel on the top of the cylinder and light it with a rag, it heated the cylinder and the oil mix got very hot and thin and worked it way right through. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The muzzleloading forum that I belong to recommends EVAPORUST.  I have not tried it as no one around here carries it. I Use PB Blaster and Naval Jelly. These guys are using it on antique flintlocks, and It supposedly doesn't leave a grey film like Naval Jelly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Not rust per se, but related, I,ve just today started to re new my old motorcycle, hasn,t run since the late 80,s, [ family , work, yada yada], apon pullng the carburettors, I discovered that the slides had seized in the throttle bodies, as they were only a 100 or so hrs used since the bodies were last sleeved, I,d like to save them. They are currently soaking in a wd 40 mix, but I was wondering if someone might have had this issue before. As the bodies are made of pot metal, any introduction of heat must be very judicious, any and all advice appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without seeing it in person I would say Kroil for rust. Let it soak in some for a week and check it. Try rapping on the pins holding them to help loosen them up.

If it is really bad electrolysis may be in order.

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? I saw an article in an old Shooting Times magazine about using one to free up a dug up Colt single action army that was just a wad of rust.

Luckily Carbine parts are available, so as a last resort just swap it out.



Dasher, try sticking them in an oven and run it up to around 120C-150C, and checking them as it warms up. Hopefully they are just varnished up, and not corroded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2019 at 8:07 AM, Dasher said:

I discovered that the slides had seized in the throttle bodies

Have you tried soaking in a solvent mixed with a penetrating oil? ATF and acetone comes to mind and try moving them every day or so. BGD's suggestion about the ultrasonic cleaner is a good idea. I'd put the ATF acetone mix in it and let it run for a few hours at least. The only problem might be covering the parts completely  because most of them are for jewelry so tend to be on the smaller side.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A while back someone here posted a proper lab test review of anti rust products. While near the top of the list Kroil and such pro anti-rust products were in the same company with 50/50 auto trans fluid and acetone. It was right at the top of the list, not #1 IIRC but close. 

The rating for effectiveness vs. cost was laughable the next closest to the home brew was something like 15x.

Frosty The Lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

The very first operation I did on my FWT LC Smith frame was to free up a hopelessly rusted and locked up rotary bolt and top snap.  I wrote into the LC Smith forum and received the suggestion to use electrolysis.  I knew absolutely nothing about the process, but I have a co/worker who is a collector and restorer of one-lung engines and such.

I used electrolysis with information I found online, and advice from my antique engine guy with very good results.  I wrote up and photographed the whole process in my LC Smith build on Shotgun Forums which, if I do say so myself, covers the subject pretty well. You can find it in Shotgun Forums, not Shotgun World, under the High End and Specialty Gun Forum.  The post is very close to the first one of the series of #150 so far, perhaps third or similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...