I Forge Iron

Show me your vise stands

Chris C

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning TW,

I have very similar style portable Vice Stands. They work well, you will learn to work with the flex in the bottom plate. When you are filing, you will match your stroke with the bobbing Vice. You can cure it partly by adding some triangulation to the upright support. Don't make the stiffners too big or you will forever be tripping over them, at least to the base of the Post Vice block. Sideways as well as forward, maybe even weld another plate to the rear and make a rearward stiffner as well. Take the time now!!

Neil

Swedefiddle, I found out what you mean on the flex, after I got the holes drilled and bolted down the vise, the stand wasn’t near as ridgid as I thought it would be, when pulling on the handle you can watch the ibeam and plate flex. I’ll most definitely be taking your advice and I’ll add some channel to stiffen it up, Thanks for the tip

38DCE7B6-904F-4065-B2AA-E26681352DAC.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a 4” warren tool and forge, qwik werk vice that I would like to build a collapsible stand for travel. I saw a previous post with a suggested design, but now I have to re find it again. Anyone have any experience with this design. I think the picture I saw had three legs that swung up inline with the post, hinge pins at bottom of base.

• 2 weeks later...

especially for sawing and grinding it's handy since the bottom jaw doesn't move; and if I get new people in my workshop; it's one of the good ideas they take home; as it's invariably the most used vise during the day. The wooden frame does take up a lot of workbench-space. Maybe i should try mounting the blocks below the table....

Bart,

Now I need to scrounge another bench vise and mount it. I think a removable version could be made easily enough for lighter work, and it would not add more clutter to the front of the bench.

George,

I have a drill press vise and never thought about clamping it in my bench vise...Brilliant!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone and first of all Happy New Year!

I recently made a fabriacted stand for an old vise a friend gave me. I'd like to share with you the result.

It's made out of a squared hollow tubing (18 cm x 18 cm, approx. 7 x 7 in) with a plate bolted onto the top and a piece of railroad track as an "extended foot". The inside is filled with gravel and sand to add more mass and stability and dampen vibrations.

The vise is simply bolted to the stand.

Hope you like it!

As a personal augury for the new year, may you forge fire burn clean and hot, free from any clinkers!:)

Carolus

IMG_20240102_175235[1].jpg

IMG_20240102_175212[1].jpg

As detailed in this comment, I recently beefed up my vise/bender/shear stand, by adding some additional feet and rebuilding the stock storage shelf on the back to be much larger and more stable. I think this should stay put reasonably well.

IMG_7930.thumb.jpeg.4f5c3c23cfb41a56b041ecdee3676c47.jpeg

IMG_7934.jpeg.150d64b352322a97215a66682fa9ad09.jpeg

I posted this idea in the show me your shop thread, but I just made a mount for a shortened vise that I hope to use as a striking vise. The idea is taken from Mt. Phillip Metal Works. He takes a broken camelback drill press, cuts the top off and mounts the vise to the table. A potential problem is that the table and base are cast iron, so not super impact resistant. I have not used it for much striking, or for anything really to see if it survives much striking, but so far I like it, if only for the looks and having a vise by the anvil!

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2595.jpeg