I Forge Iron

Show me your vise stands

Chris C

Couldn't find a thread on this subject elsewhere, so thought I'd start one.  Beat me to death if this has already been done!  :D

Just finished posting a picture of my "new to me" vise in the "Show me your vise" thread.  Next project in line for it is a stand. Think I've got a good idea of what I want to do, but thought it would be fun to see what other's have done.  I've been impressed at what some of you have done for your anvil bases, so surely you've got some equally good ideas for vises.

My plan.............at this point................is to use a 4x4 steel pipe column, with a 12"x12" base welded to it on the bottom and  a 7"x7" top welded to it.  Then bolt a 3/4" thick wooden platform on top so I can bolt my vise to that.  I don't really like the idea of the raw square tubing being exposed, so plan on wrapping it with vertical 2x4's and putting straps around them to hold them tight to the post.   I might pour concrete inside the post both for weight and added rigidity.  The base would be bolted to a piece of 3/4" plywood about 36" square.  To make this whole mess easier to move when needed, I'd put two wheels on an axle the allows the wheels to float slightly above the floor until the vise column is tipped back slightly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll be first... This is my first stand been in use 30 + years.

100_1911.thumb.JPG.2e207fece7115e777014503ee9f6db77.JPG

This is my second one. A RR tie sunk several feet into the ground with concrete to hold it.

100_1912.thumb.JPG.d6d1cef3000818c7983d92ff9d9bb5cc.JPG

My latest one to take with us to meetings & such with the Cavalry pack forge & 55 lb anvil.. A flywheel base and rectangle tubing.

100_1908.thumb.JPG.97637c21c95807b183956da3ba915939.JPG

Pictures taken for the Show me your vise thread in 2017.

Thanks guys.  Keep the pics and comments coming.  I'm going to "cherry pick" ideas from all of you because of your experiences.  I'm "green as green can be" with lack of experience with this vise.

That's a good idea.  I've not done much grinding in my lifetime............and when I have, it's been outside for that very reason.  My crosscut saw for steel is carried outside, also for that very reason.

IFC, I like your flywheel base.  That's something i might find at the local scrap metal yard.

I'll have to get a picture of my vice stand when I get back home. My smithy is laid out pretty much in a straight line from left to right. Forge, anvil, slack tub then vice. Each are only a step or two away from each other. The slack tub sits back a little so if I accidentally drop something, it's not going to instantly wind up in the bottom of it. The vice is probably two and half steps from the forge. But I have a limited space so this is what works for me. I'd say get it as close as you can so ýou don't lose anymore heat than possible

I set my forge, anvil, and post vice up in more or less an isosceles triangle with me in the middle about a step or two to each. Im left handed, so I set my anvil to the left when Im facing my forge. 

I set my post vice up much like Iron Dragon Forge above. 

My shop is permanent, so both my anvil and post vice stumps are set in the ground

Would be nice to have a tidy little 10x10 room that didn't have to "double" as something else.  As it is, I'm going to have to clear out just such an area at the end of a storage room.  Only thing is I'm not a hot weather person and in the Summer months, I'll want to roll my forge outside so as not to expire in the heat of the enclosure.  Luckily, the end of the storage room has a garage door that I can open so I can easily roll the forge outside.  But rolling it outside makes it that much further from my big, heavy workbench.  So I'm conflicted on how/where to mount the vise.  Not having a lot of experience to fall back on, and not having worked with the blacksmith vise much, I'm not sure how I want thing situated.  So pictures of vise stands and forge room layouts are appreciated...........the more the merrier!

Well at my home shop I have 5 postvises mounted and am working on a 6th.  Both the clean and dirty shop areas have a bench with both a large (6"+) and a small (4-4.5") post vise mounted to it   I also have a large post vise mounted to the telephone pole that supports the roof truss for heavy work---I once twisted a RR spike in it, *COLD*! (I was told it wasn't possible so I got out my large twisting wrench and the large vise and using an appropriate cheater demonstrated that it was just a matter of torque.)

At the Casita I had this set up: Sizable piece of Sq Tubing lag bolted to the pole with 2 straps to deal with stresses in the plain and the postvise mounted to the sq tubing with a U bolt---like Colombians used at times.

casitaPostVise.jpg.51747ebfc016312b0220cddb259ad0fd.jpg

The one I'm currently working on at the home shop will be a gozinta mounted in the driveway to the shop with a removable nesting sq tube to mount the postvise to. I have a couple of projects that need a lot of swing space that isn't available in the shop; but I dislike leaving tools "outside"!  The gozinta will have a cap when not in use and will be sunk 3-4' into the ground and concreted in. 

Interesting.  Don't guess I've seen anyone asking that much of a vise so far in my journey.  Most of what I've seen is a hot piece being twisted..............no big deal.  I can't even begin to imagine twisting a cold RR spike.  WHEW!

Very impressive! Here's the picture of my vise stand I promised. I bought it mounted this way. Under all the tools there's a steel plate for a table. We are cleaning, so my tools are scattered out at the moment. Irondragon had suggested that I sink it into the ground. That would be ideal, but I don't work outside or I would. But it's pretty heavy for me, so I don't knock it around very much

20190728_171202.jpg

Chris, I have three of these stands around in my shop. With the weight of the salt fork swage  block they seem to be a fair compromise of stability and portability. I also have a vise mounted on a bench welded to the building for when I really have to get serious! But the portable vise gets the most use!

hope this helps! Bill D

2C321D0B-C78B-4422-AC24-B0316AB1386C.jpeg

This is the first vise stand I built, the base is about 24" square double layer of 1/2" plywood. The post is is made out of laminated 2x4's. I also made all the mounting brackets and the spring for this vise. IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.0b610be5a61915425142b3098cee0a6a.JPG

This is my second stand and post vise. The base is a 48" circle of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated. The center post is made out of solid laminated 2x4's. The post is log screwed to the base. It is rock solid. As you work you stand on the circle or square to help hold them down.

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.6ad74ebe16e559a6131f428bbc3e7598.JPGIMG_0021.thumb.JPG.fec595ffbb1c16e4002f79c0a58462e3.JPG

Both vise leg collars are sitting on top of a 5 lbs. weight lifting plate. The second stand is much more stable. 

Have a good one,

W

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty simple really. A piece of 4x4 and some 2x4s. It is actually much sturdier than it looks, i am "one of these days" going to put 2 more 2x's coming out at an angle on the bottom and tie them into the 10x10 that is the base of my shop wall. You may also see a pile of weights next to it on said 10x, may have to change the bottom plate now.

20190817_121507.thumb.jpg.58de6a4c48c96c0a55e73574d862e2bb.jpg

Stand coming along made from gym equipment. The base plate is 1/4”. The square tube is 3x3”. 4x4” will be post with possible reinforcement (reinforcement may not be needed). I may put some casters on the edge so when tilted will roll. I will add some holes to accommodate spikes/bolts if working off the plate or needed. I will also add another bolting hole on the mount of the base plate.

2D547C88-C281-4DE5-BFBB-20A50B2B7965.jpeg

618B7764-B6B6-49A0-84A8-8A81FC5B4079.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my post vise, Chris. 

Made this attempt at a stand today. It's not as stable as I would like, but I think I'll be adding another steel plate like the ones I have now as a counter weight stand. 

Obviously the plan is to bolt it down eventually, but I need it portable for now. 

20190831_171909.thumb.jpg.bd28d148cc2c4154a1549a278c28d2a2.jpg