I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stand I use for demonstration, 109lb HB, bolt-clamped  down ( I didnt drill the holes they were there when I bought it)   my own variation on the hold down, foot lever you can lift with you toe and hold down with your foot for fairly strong clamping, in the middle of the linkage is a one way slip joint like on a hog catcher (works like a snare)  so you can  slip the hold down, up far enough to grip 1/4" stock or 2" stock then apply pressure with you foot while you heel is still planted on the ground.  Dont want to be punching or chiseling with an unfirm footing, no point in holding the stock real still if your balancing on one foot yourself.  Made from white oak and ash,  should  be heavier for stability, but when it was built 10 years ago I needed to be able to travel "light" fit the forge kit and tenting gear and fuel in a normal car so the stand also served as a box to house tools while in transit.  Still use it all the time even in the shop for the hammer rack, hold down, and quietness of the anvil, heavier work goes to my bigger anvil on a stump

IMG_20170727_213559_hdr.jpg

IMG_20170727_213715_hdr.jpg

Made of old crossties (i hope, that's the correct word for it). I added some layers of tar paper between anvil and stand. Due to the size of the anvil i don't need any extra tool rack or so :D On the right side you can see the support for my hold down. 

2016-09-06 15.51.53.JPG

Ooh, that's a beast! How much does it weigh? By cross ties, do you mean the timbers that support rail road rails? 

I agree, you have enough room for tools . . .  and DINNER! Beautiful anvil, now I'm feeling anvil envy.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

By cross ties, do you mean the timbers that support rail road rails?

That's what i mean.

The beauty weighs 400kg (about 882 lb). It's been quite a challenge to get it on the stand :D 

2 hours ago, c.baum said:

That's what i mean.

The beauty weighs 400kg (about 882 lb). It's been quite a challenge to get it on the stand :D 

Please post a face shot with a ruler or measuring tape..  Nice stand for sure.. 

7 hours ago, woodsmith said:

The stand I use for demonstration, 109lb HB, bolt-clamped  down ( I didnt drill the holes they were there when I bought it)   my own variation on the hold down, foot lever you can lift with you toe and hold down with your foot for fairly strong clamping, in the middle of the linkage is a one way slip joint like on a hog catcher (works like a snare)  so you can  slip the hold down, up far enough to grip 1/4" stock or 2" stock then apply pressure with you foot while you heel is still planted on the ground.  Dont want to be punching or chiseling with an unfirm footing, no point in holding the stock real still if your balancing on one foot yourself.  Made from white oak and ash,  should  be heavier for stability, but when it was built 10 years ago I needed to be able to travel "light" fit the forge kit and tenting gear and fuel in a normal car so the stand also served as a box to house tools while in transit.  Still use it all the time even in the shop for the hammer rack, hold down, and quietness of the anvil, heavier work goes to my bigger anvil on a stump

That there is a nifty stand.. Something like that made out of heavy plate steel would be handy..  I love foot hold downs..  Really nice design.. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Please post a face shot with a ruler or measuring tape..

Do you need any specific information? The face is about 195mmx890mm incl. horn, hardy 44x44mm. I'll post a photo. 

Main line ties in America and Canada are 8" x 8" but I don't know about Germany. Regardless it's BIG. 

If a person isn't very organized, all bins, racks, etc. do is add something you have to organize, I have lots racks, bins, tool chests, etc. cluttering up my shop. <sigh>

Uh HUH, the lady says size counts but we knew that all along didn't we boys?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 28.7.2017 at 4:51 PM, Scrambler82 said:

Is this anvil posted in the "Show me your Anvil" Thread; I would like to know more about it, please ?it

Yes it is. in german it is "steirische Form" (styrian shape?). Largest anvil you can by on the market as far as i know. It's been used in a smithy in a salt mine where usually tools were made. See the mentioned thread for the story how it followed me home (i wish it was that easy :D ).

From the side view picture, there are no blemishes on her !

oh, there are some tiny ones. seems it has been used as a cutting and welding table. And the corner on the far side has a lot of chips. 

Your Stand is great, if Ties are 8" x 8" that puts the base of the anvil around the 40" x 24" mark... holy ---- ?

the base is about 730 x 470mm. The ties are about 230x150mm, but a good friend dressed them up on the planing bench. Don't know the original dimensions. 

things organized, if someone is not an organized person or an Engineer

engineer :D

I explained it a couple of decades ago as "Anvil Envy" a terribly Freudian condition that many blacksmiths suffer from. Most common treatment is finding bigger anvils.  When I got my 515# anvil I was able to go from acute to a low grade chronic case myself.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I explained it a couple of decades ago as "Anvil Envy" a terribly Freudian condition that many blacksmiths suffer from. Most common treatment is finding bigger anvils.  When I got my 515# anvil I was able to go from acute to a low grade chronic case myself.

And I didn't even  make an offer on a 1,200lb. Fisher just because I lived in a trailer court and didn't have anywhere to put it. There was a lot of tooling in that shop I didn't make an offer on, pity I wasn't living here then.

Frosty The Lucky.

46 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

I have to go around twice, sometimes, and then I find it where I looked a minute ago, always blame the Muse for hiding things and then putting them in front of me !

When I worked in the art restoration studio, one of my coworkers articulated "Farrell's Law": that the longer you look for something, the shorter the amount of time between asking a coworker if they'd seen it and finding it yourself.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:47 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Why is there something about large anvils?  What makes me see this beast and be like.. Ooohh.. It's so big.. I want one..  Mind you some Jimmy choos will do it to but on a different level.. 

Funniest thing I've read in a while.  Blacksmithing in Jimmy Choo shoes is about the most ridiculous and decadent thing a blacksmith could do and you made me picture it.  

Formthe price of a pair of those shoes you could get another new anvil.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Funny right.. If I could somehow keep from getting hot scale in them, I'd be there..      

Depending on the height of the heel, you'd probably have to adjust the height of your anvil stand as well.