I Forge Iron

Fire and Iron.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry not a horse person just know he had same horse for the entire show it was one of those tid bits encore talked bout when they had critics intro the shows and my  only personal experience with a horse  is trying not to get licked  while digging things out of a collapsed shed on my  aunts place they had a black  horse that she said was a butthead   and every time i would think i was safe he would sneak up lick the back of my head then turn around and walk off when i got done digging out the stuff she wanted  and was safe  out side the gate the old lady wouldnt stop laughing the entire time im worried about snakes and wasp and the dang horse deciding wether or not i taste good enough to take a bite of . she also had emu too that had already done its thing all over the ground around the shed  not a fun day but i got my revenge later while sitting on the deck going thru the  steamer trunk she pulled the  tray out of i saw a big old snake and i swear yelled snake as i stood up and walked in the  house but they say i dint yellit till i was behind the glass door either way i wasnt dealing with it 

Festus was Marshal Dillon's deputy.  As far as Forged in Iron, it's Television, It's for entertainment.  If  they went to a real smithy to film a days work, without the contrived drama, how many viewers would they attract and hold? Unless you are really into it watching somebody else would become akin to watching grass grow after a while.;)   How about Doc Adams, played by Milburn Stone? At my age, growing up in Jersey right across the river from NYC, I remember the early beginnings of TV. Discussions like this bring back distant memories. As I have been told I'm so old I fart dust.

Honestly though it's that "contrived" aspect of these types of shows that I just can't stand to watch.  TLC and it's sister networks seem to be the worst, I think they all have the same scriptwriter and every word that comes out of people's mouths sounds like carefully scripted nonsense.  Real people don't "narrate" like that.  I'd prefer more reality, less theater.  I understand it doesn't make for popular TV, but don't get me started on "popular" TV.     

Watched the trailer pretty well killed the "willing suspension of disbelief" with the "Blacksmithing is a dying art" as the first line.  I felt the second line should be "That's why more folks are doing it nowadays than any time in the last 50 years! Cost of tools is skyrocketing, groups are all over and conferences are well attended...even has it's own sites on the internet..."

I watched the half hour "sneak" preview tonight and I think I'm actually going to like the show. Forget an educational blacksmithing program, this is entertainment. It does however portray some pretty darned good smithing, well did tonight. The only "drama" was in the same line as Duck Dynasty where the pair went searching for some steel cable for an . . . Ah hem Damascus dagger. They were given a $20 bill and were bargaining for enough change to by a BBQ sandwich for lunch. It may have been contrived but it was charmingly likable.

I haven't heard or . . . said, less historically accurate things than I heard said tonight. There's still a lot of mythical . . . stuff about blacksmithing and Damascus especially so I won't fault the show on that count.

All in all it was an enjoyable half hour. I look forward to the premier with higher hopes for quality than I was expecting. Getting better than I expected is a good thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Dave51B said:

I guess my question is........if I use a round quench tank, does it still have to face due north?           Dave

Yes, certainly ... and you'd better consider the phase of the moon, as well.

Also, never attempt to temper a blade, ... when your dog's in heat, ... or the fish are biting.

But blowing the anvil up into the air?! What's that about?

Or maybe I should say "anvil shaped object", in which case, I guess it's alright.

6 hours ago, Dave51B said:

I guess my question is........if I use a round quench tank, does it still have to face due north?           Dave

Just the knife, I guess. I never knew a hand compass was a standard blacksmith tool.

Of course you have to have your quench tank facing north, especially if it's round and don't forget to adjust for Coriolis affect and conservation of angular heat.

I don't know how they came up with "ringing the anvil" when it's been "shooting the anvil" since the revolution. Maybe I'm not on the writer's need to know list?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Of course you have to have your quench tank facing north, especially if it's round and don't forget to adjust for Coriolis affect and conservation of angular heat.

I don't know how they came up with "ringing the anvil" when it's been "shooting the anvil" since the revolution. Maybe I'm not on the writer's need to know list?

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah! So that is why you lot were so revolted by us...we always call it "firing the anvil"...

And I always thought it was something to do with representation tax...

Alan

Uhh Ohh, now I'm really confused....My quench tank is a cast iron pot with a handle........Does the handle have to face a certain way or not? Plus....my dog is in heat and Pee'd in it, I think...Now what?  So much to learn......Thanks           Dave

Recorded the preview and just got around to watching it. Yeeaaah...but no. As my daughter said, a little too much scripted hillbilly-ness. Still, he did good work and produced a nice-looking blade. I may give it another chance, but given the low smithing-to-fluff ratio, I may just give it a pass and stick with Forged in Fire.

Oh well..  Not so much

No safety glasses 

handkerchief for acid vapor protection

The finished blade did not match. 

My son would never shoot a flintlock without safety glasses. 

Magnetic north .. What's up with that?

Anvil shooters... Check with ABANA

Just this old grumps 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

3 hours ago, Steve2md said:

I noticed an awful lot of pitting on that finished blade as well. IMO, totally unacceptable for a blade (unledd it's "as forged") and especially unacceptable for a comission piece

His acid bath was WAY too concentrated and he just laid in on the bottom of the METAL pan.

Do you guys remember talking about being contacted by a production company doing a series for Discovery about a year or more ago? The letter I got said they were looking for a family operation in remote Alaska using traditional methods, tools, etc.? IIRC a number of guys on Iforge got the same message with some regional tweaks.

I believe we've been introduced to the family blacksmiths who answered the call.

One of our guys has been approached about being in one of the other "reality" shows in Alaska but their needs were so absurdly contrived he ran them off instead of just saying no.

Oh yeah, lighten up guys you'll ruin it for me. :unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.

22 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

Anvils were traditionally fired on St. Clement's Day, honoring Pope Clement I, the patron saint of blacksmiths and metalworkers.

So that's why it's so hard to find good anvils these days, they've all been blown up - no disrespect to St. Clement or anything, but what a waste of an anvil (assuming the "firing" does damage, of course).

26 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

So that's why it's so hard to find good anvils these days, they've all been blown up - no disrespect to St. Clement or anything, but what a waste of an anvil (assuming the "firing" does damage, of course).

That's why so many anvils appeal for Clement-cy.