I Forge Iron

Fire and Iron.

I can't find a link on History Channel either I've only seen the trailer on the  toob.

I hadn't thought of Festus being a derivative of Haephestus. I wondered about that too but not enough to think about it, I was never a Gunsmoke fan but Dad was so we watched it. That or do homework.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2016 at 1:34 PM, Frosty said:

Has anyone EVER seen a program on TV or in a movie showing blacksmithing in any realistic way? ANYONE?

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and watch a couple episodes before making up my mind.

Frosty The Lucky.

On The Walking Dead there was a dude at Hilltop making spears out of scrap metal.  He was only in the background but his set-up looked accurate in the different scenes :P   TheWalkingDead-505.jpg

5 hours ago, PVF Al said:

Festus on Gunsmoke was NOT a blacksmith

what was he? I thought he was a deputy sheriff, am I right?

Littleblacksmith

34 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

what was he? I thought he was a deputy sheriff, am I right?

Littleblacksmith

Who was the Sheriff? Mathew Dillon was the Marshal.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, you guys are making me feel like a dinosaur, but here's what I remember.

James Arness played Matt Dillon.

Amanda Blake played Miss Kitty.

Dennis Weaver played Chester, the gimp.

The character "Festus", replaced the "Chester" character.

Both George Kennedy and Burt Reynolds played the blacksmith in various episodes.

what was Festus than?

Littleblacksmith

10 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

what was Festus than?

Littleblacksmith

The founder of Festivus?

According to wikipedia Festus Haggen had been a trapper, laborer on the transcontinental railroad, solider for the south, ended up Marshall Dillons second deputy.  He repeatedly states that he refuses to learn to read, because he has no way of knowing whether what he reads is true.  Doesn't sound like a bad idea, sometimes. Wish I could say I wasn't old enough to remember some of this, but young enough to remember all of it.

Festus was Marshal Dillon's deputy.  As far as Forged in Iron, it's Television, It's for entertainment.  If  they went to a real smithy to film a days work, without the contrived drama, how many viewers would they attract and hold? Unless you are really into it watching somebody else would become akin to watching grass grow after a while.;)

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Who was the Sheriff? Mathew Dillon was the Marshal.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, my guess is that the TV program Gunsmoke  was depicting Dodge City Kansas prior to the organization of Ford County and the incorporation of Dodge City, so there would be no sheriff only a U.S. Marshal appointed to that region of the frontier.

2 minutes ago, coldironkilz said:

Frosty, my guess is that the TV program Gunsmoke  was depicting Dodge City Kansas prior to the organization of Ford County and the incorporation of Dodge City, so there would be no sheriff only a U.S. Marshal appointed to that region of the frontier.

After incorporation, the very first sheriff elected in Ford County was an eccentric businessman from Connecticut named Isidore Schott, who had made his way west in the hopes of making his fortune is farming equipment. While he was a failure as an entrepreneur, his brief career as a lawman was nonetheless immortalized in the Bob Marley classic "I. Schott, the sheriff".

Truth is I didn't actually "watch" Gunsmoke even though it was on if Dad was home. Festus had replaced Chester a long time before I noticed enough to make note. IIRC the actor who played Chester was disabled and they wrote it into the character.

I may have to watch some Gunsmoke now, it's on every day on a couple different "Oldies but goodies" channels, heck I watched an episode yesterday . . . till it put me to sleep. I'm bummed the oldies channels cancelled showing WKRP, Dragnet and Adam 12. Brings back the immortal line, "I thought turkeys could fly!" Joe Friday only said, "Just the facts," once in one episode. I can't think of a culturally imbedded line from Adam 12 or Gunsmoke though.

Frosty The Lucky.

JHCC, that's funny but your messing with the history of the American west here.

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

After incorporation, the very first sheriff elected in Ford County was an eccentric businessman from Connecticut named Isidore Schott, who had made his way west in the hopes of making his fortune is farming equipment. While he was a failure as an entrepreneur, his brief career as a lawman was nonetheless immortalized in the Bob Marley classic "I. Schott, the sheriff".

actually the guy who played festus was  a singer and  very  handsome  he stared in a couple previous episodes of the show as a  sweet talking out law before   playing the festus character   none of the main characters were crippled in real life but the chester character did have a gimp leg  dennios weaver was the actor if remember right  the  blacksmith played by burt reynolds was also   per the show a half breed  to add tension to some episodes when he would woo the ladies and their families  would get upset  the only characters to remain on the show for entire thing was mat thge marshal , miss kitty  and matt's horse the chestnut bay  i love the show and encore western has it on all the time  one of my favorite episodes  has lenord nemoy as an indian  that knows where a secret treasure is buriued but its false and he is using it to get revenge on the men who killed his freind  

Yes, he was a good singer, sang with Tommy Dorsey, and stared in a number of B westerns.  Here in East Tennessee on Saturday mornings on PBS we have the Marshall Andy show which is devoted to the Saturday matinees from back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.  On Saturday afternoons I could go to the movies for $.10 and see a serial, cartoon, newsreel, and a western.  The Martial Andy Show just finished a serial "Don Daredevil" were Ken Curtis "Festus" played the lead as the Masked hero, kinda like Zorro.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Curtis for more info.

Don't get me started, I have lotsa stories from back then.

because of health issues i was stuck in the house and close to the grown ups if went anywhere so i got sit and talk with all the old fogies when i was a kid . at home it was lots of old westerns and   the musicals like 7 brides for seven brothers  and visting family it was   stories like quote  ( back in ot 9  me and your grandpa went skinny dipping in the misisippi with the johnson twins) look across the yard and realize the johnson twins are 300 pounds each and 89 years old que cold shiver up spine  but i wouldn't trade any of it  i got a lot of words of wisdom from some xxxx good guys like  dont trust a dog you dont know and dont pee in the wind  and never doubt the shooting ability of an old blind man especially if its a moving target 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Car 54 where arrrrre Youooooo? F Troop anyone?

Frosty The Lucky.

Now I have the Munsters guy stuck in my head....could be worse I guess. Wasn't My Favorite Martian.

Meh, Do not adjust the vertical. Do not adjust the horizontal....there's something on the wing! Some....thing....on the wing!!!

Oh MAN I wanted Uncle Martin's finger! Ever wonder why his space ship looked like a Jag XKE? Ray Walston loved Jaguar XKEs I met him at Saturday roping at a local arena. He wasn't driving a Jag but he was talking about how much better the classic drove with a Jag frame and v12 engine.

We have several oldie but goodie TV channels on Dish and every now and then they have a movie serial marathon and play a whole series. Recently they're playing the original Superman and Batman serials to promote the current movie. I didn't realize the original actress playing Lois Lane played Lois Lane in all the serials, TV series and played Lois's mother in the first movie with Steve Reeves.

Saturday matinees only cost us $0.25 but it was too far to walk to the theater so I didn't develop the habit. I played army with the neighbor kids, built forts and boy oh boy does an appliance box make a great tank!

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/27/2016 at 8:35 PM, ironmutt said:

the only characters to remain on the show for entire thing was mat thge marshal , miss kitty  and matt's horse the chestnut bay 

For what it's worth, ..... and it's not worth much.

Like everything else in life, there are "rules" about the color of horses.

A "Chestnut" horse, never has any black markings or "points".

While a "Bay" horse, always has black markings.

Therefore, it is categorically impossible to have a "Chestnut Bay".

:rolleyes::unsure:;)