I Forge Iron

what can you make from a bolt?

ausfire

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've been trying to make a bolt bottle opener like a snake. I've only ever made loop openers, and lots of them, but I wanted both the head and tail. 

Started with a threaded section of a coarse thread bolt. Took a bit of messing around with the bending to make a comfortable fit in the hand, but it looks OK and, importantly, it does actually open bottles!

Perhaps there are other ways, and I'm open to suggestions.

snake opener1.jpg

snake opener2.jpg

Have you ornamented any post vise pivot bolts similarly?  I've had to replace a number of them due to wear---and at least one where I had to drill out the hole to the next size up to deal with uneven wear patterns and a "pretty" bolt might be a nice addition...

Had another look at that. Nice how you have 'dished' the hex flats a little. I'm going to try that for tomorrow's demos. Don't know if I'll be game enough to post the result! 

Well, I did have a go at a couple of bolt bottle openers with decorated heads. I was pretty happy with them for a first go. Thanks for the inspiration Wayne. 

Here they are:

boltheads1.jpg

Well, I tried my first split cross from a bolt. Actually my first split cross ever. I did it but boy is it ugly lol. A band saw would be nice. :rolleyes: 

I'll try again later. This was just playing around after working on other stuff. Maybe my failure can inspire someone else. 

image.jpg

That's a hefty sort of bolt for a first split cross, Das! I think with these crosses it's important to get a good clean cut (Yes, a bandsaw is the go) and to make the cuts cross a good length so that you get a well-defined diamond. Try something a little smaller or maybe a rail spike!

• 4 months later...

Well done. Great workmanship and remember there are no mistakes if you learn something.( I certainly have learnt a lot from mine) :lol:

As usual this site has left me with a load of inspiration and a list of new ideas to try. 

Thanks to all.

• 3 weeks later...

These bottle openers were made from light aircraft engine bolts. I have a mate who's an aircraft engineer and he saves them for me. They are timed out I think, even though in perfectly good shape.

Not sure what type of steel it is but it's HARD, has a good ring to it, and takes a nice shine. The O-ring grooves make an interesting feature on the finished opener.

Edit:

(P.S. Yes, the original bolt has a cadmium look to it, but I burn that off in an open fire before it goes in the forge.)

DSC_6042.JPG