I Forge Iron

what can you make from a bolt?

ausfire

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gives a new twist on 'nut cracker' ! That looks like just the right size for cracking Queensland nuts (macadamias). The threads in the nut would help keep things secure. Nice idea, cleverly engineered and very well finished.

And very marketable I might add.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, Lou L said:

Very nice.  Did you draw that out all by hand or was there powered intervention? 

All by hand... power intervention would have been nice, but a 4lb'er and the edge of the anvil actually made quick work of it. 

Also a small coal shovel to get the small bits from the corners and hard to reach spots of the table.

Screenshot_20170531-160827.png

• 4 weeks later...

Love to have a nut that big, Aus!  I'd set it on the shelf and just look at it every time I went into the shop.

You've got to be the luckiest guy in Australia, getting to play in that wonderful scrap pile!! :o  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

some wall hooks. I kept going back and forth between deciding to cut the washers off, or to leave them.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6908[1].JPG

IMG_6907[1].JPG

Nice idea, LB. Who would have thought to integrate the nuts like that!

The holes look drilled. You didn't want to punch them to spread the threads a little?

These would look great hanging up tools in a mechanic's workshop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Had an idea for Valentine's Day. Got this far, now I'm lost as to what to do. :rolleyes:

I'd leave it as-is.  It's a neat bit of industrial design, though that part might be lost on a woman.  They can be weird like that!

Maybe weld it to an 8" piece of 3"x1/8" flat stock and add a small calendar or business card holder to the other end. or a short length of tube that could hold some pens and such.  That way she can keep it on her desk and always think about you.  Practical, but also artistic.  And if you give it a nice paint job, something that compliments the ironwork like some brass or copper wash that leaves a bit of the steel showing through, then hit it with a matte poly overcoat.....   

Or maybe put it on a heavier base, say a 5" piece of 3"x1/2".  That way you'd have enough weight in the base that you could make a tree that reaches up and allows her to organize her jewelry.  I've seen them on pinterest and they look like a neat way to hang necklaces, bangles and earrings.  Women seem to coo over them a good bit so that might be better than a desk organizer. ;)

Das,

You can use a plate for stabilizing the base of your sculpture.

But an exotic wood offcut may look more esthetic. Such offcuts should be cheaply available from  a furniture maker or fine wood working or musical instrument maker shops.

If they are not available to you, specialty woodworking tool & supply sellers have such wood bits for not too much cost.

SLAG.

2 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

If she writes letters Das (I know, who does any more. I'm old.), you could carve her monogram in the bottom and get some sealing wax sticks. Well, that's what first came to mind when I saw it anyway.

That's a nice idea.

I do letter openers for demos sometimes, but the kids have no concept of what they are for. Most kids today have never written a letter. A bit sad in a way.

I was wondering if the bolt was too big for that idea. The other trip up in that idea is, would the post office even accept it with all the mail being run through machines these days.
Probably have to be for hand delivered letters only.

2 hours ago, ausfire said:

Most kids today have never written a letter.

Is a bit sad losing some of the things I always considered standards. Some schools aren't even teaching cursive writing any more.