I Forge Iron

Two Handled Sledge Hammer

I was recently asked to forge some chain, and I posted a pic of my progress... to which my sister, who lives in Rugby England, responded with some pictures of the Black Country Museum and one of the blacksmith shops there.  In the photo there is a double handled sledge.

I have heard of these...  but I have never seen one in use...  does anyone have a video or know more about them?   I suspect that it is mostly lifted and dropped....or was it used with a master and apprentice one providing power and the other aiming...  I don't know anything about it... figure someone here might...  care to shed some light on the subject?

Thanks

Matt

double handle.jpg

double handle too.jpg

The head of that sledge look to be about the size of my 30 lb, but mine only has one handle.  It is definitely a lift and drop hammer.  I will measure it and post a pic later.  I want to know more about the Oliver hammer setup with the chainmakers anvil in the back by the forge.

I have seen but do not have pictures of black country crews using double and tripple handled sledges . I have a couple of chain makers anvils including one that is the same as the one in the picture with the oliver attached to it. The black country museum is on my list as I want to remake an oliver for my anvil.

John M   Comparing your picture, using a brick for a length guide, it appears to be about the same size head as the one posted above.  I wonder if 30 lb was a stopping point for this use?  I know there was a 50 lb sledge sold on ExxY a few years ago, but I cannot even think of who could use that.  It was a one handle version.

On 2/20/2015 at 6:43 AM, forgemaster said:

We have made a 2 handled sledge, not bad to use but you need to have someone else on the other side who is going to pull their weight, if you have a bludger on the other handle you soon know about it.

Working in unison must be vital. I have a blacksmith colleague who is awful to try and carry anything heavy with. It is because he does not sense the centre of gravity of the weight between you, and is constantly trying to take more than his share which means the weight is always thrown to one side unnecessarily…the opposite to your bludger or someone "swinging the lead" but equally uncomfortable! 

Interesting that the two men in the photo have slightly different stances, They presumably are compensating for differences in body size/stature or whichever is leading, Their lower arms have quite a  different angle at the elbow...

Alan

On 2/19/2015 at 1:59 PM, Black Frog said:

Ah! found one.

903=285-Two%20man%20sledge.png

I find the low steel bench Iof interest, as I have a 1" plate with holes at the corners. It was originally fabricated as a pole base and would duplicate it easily. Any ideas what it is fore?

​That top plate looks like it may have started out, as the top half of a Die Set, ... in which case, the holes would have been essential to it's original purpose, ... but not necessarily to it's present use.

Just guessing .....

As for video I saw one, just today, can't post, it was on netflix.   There is a series called Peaky Blinders.   Season one Episode one at about 21 minutes there are two guys swinging a two handed hammer.   It's kinda lame.  Looks like they are hammering the dirt.   Just after that there is another guy swinging a big sledge, not very elegantly, also hammering dirt.   I guess they were so poor they just forged the dirt.   Not a very good example but that's all I got.