I Forge Iron

Two Handled Sledge Hammer

You get good at swing a hammer, and you get tired. I assume that was part of a government birth control program, cause after 12 hours of that it would have a profilactic effect I would guess;-)

• 1 month later...

English I believe, but not positive.  There was a guy on FB who posted a few pics of this company in operation, this pic had the double sledge.

I'll post the other pics he had in the Anvil section as they show the chain-makers anvil in use.

Not strange, interesting.

Most of the chain makers of Cradley Heath in the Black Country here used similar. I was interested to see a possible international industry standard tool, hence my question about the source.

I have one which I did not like as a hand sledge which I used on my foot hammer.

I was just mooching around googling chain makers images to see how common it was in the industry and found this...any advance on three handles?.... Alan

image.thumb.jpg.c5047f71647a6bfa9d125812

Big heavy hammer more people to lift it!  I would think that a powered system would work better at some point.  I remember that the heavier hammer transmits more force deeper into the work so there may be a use case for it on very large chains; particularly if they are using top tools to dress a joint.

reminds me of the race to add more razor blades to safety razors....

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I worked at a scrap metal yard on Tyneside in the mid 60's where we broke up large cast iron machines, including transformers. There were only two of us employed to break up these machines and we individually used 28lb hammers and a double handled 56lb together. It was hard work but I enjoyed most of it.

Edited by Alex 34
missing word

• 2 months later...

Maybe most of y’all know this Already, but I thought I’d post this here too. I hope everyone is doing well.

Back in June, I was hired as a demonstrator for canIRON, and it was an absolute honour and one of the best things I’ve done in my short start to my career as a Blacksmith. I invited Mark Ling to come up and help me out (he’s the well known “littleblacksmith” that used to post here lots) 

Anyway, we wanted to forge a 2 handled sledge, as a special project. So we forged through the night, with a decent crowd, with only strikers, a two handled sledge. And we were very happy. Here is some pictures.

E4283470-014D-464E-9E8E-9B23F5D3D048.jpeg

21BD1946-B12C-4DC5-A0AA-C4E640875D99.jpeg

91548470-E923-4182-9B9A-3E4AD59EF21F.jpeg

F8F4D4C1-2611-4C51-A21C-095F5081EF79.jpeg

7B27B577-C5C5-4286-B23E-2CE08668040A.jpeg

Great job on the sledge. I'm sure it was no easy task. What I'm sure everyone will want to know is, have you used it, and if so how was it? 

Congratulations on the position too. You know what they say, " Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life." 

Pnut

Thank you sir

id saw it was just a little awkward. It was very tiring, not because it was heavy (it was less than 20 pounds) but because the motion that the handle has to travel in is a little different than in you were to swing yourself, so you end up working against the other person sometimes. If you just got comfortable at it over a few days, great power and accuracy could be achieved.

it was cool how much BANG it had when it hit hot steel, compared to a normal sledge.

Very cool hammer, well done Ethan. I've used tools that require coordinated effort between two and it takes practice. A regular partner makes a huge difference and the timing will take time. Maybe drive stakes in the yard would be good practice without having to worry about: fire, iron, holding, results, etc. Just effectiveness striking. 

Once you get it I'll bet it's a lot more effective than you'd think. I'm thinking the effects will be greater than the sum of the two.

Frosty The Lucky.

Evening, looks like a load of fun.  Was wondering though, most of the ones I've seen have had the handles mounted evenly, either center of the hammer, or towards the rear like a dogface.  Why did ya'll offset the handles one slightly in front of the other, and does it affect the use?  Feels like it would make it more difficult to swing in unison, but I haven't tried it.  Either way, you've made something cool. 

Also, almost every video or pick I've seen of these has been for forging large chain.  Aside from being huge and heavy, anyone know why this would work better  for that application?

• 1 year later...

Nice to see some pics of the Black Country chainmakers.  What yiu really want though is to see the chains the women were making in the outhouses attached to the backs of houses.  Baby's were hung of the power hammers to rock them to sleep.  I'm from a line of chainmakers from my great grandad back to 1800.

On 4/1/2015 at 7:30 PM, Black Frog said:

English I believe, but not positive.  There was a guy on FB who posted a few pics of this company in operation, this pic had the double sledge.

I'll post the other pics he had in the Anvil section as they show the chain-makers anvil in use.

Black Country.  The building was rebuilt at the Black Country museum and is used in Peaky Blinders.

• 2 years later...

I served my apprenticeship some 65 years ago at C. A. Parsons & Co. on Tyneside, England where they built steam turbines for power generation.

The fasteners on turbine casings and pressure-vessels were substantial and the twin handled sledge hammers, in conjunction with flogging spanners, were used for final tightening.  This method was preferable to the pneumatic impact drivers used on lesser fixings.