I Forge Iron

Coal won't start ??? Suggestions

Greetings All. 

I seem to have a problem with my coal...  I need to get it going to thaw out my Hawkeye power hammer and get the ol Buffalo forge cooking again ...  Any suggestions or help would be great...  Thanx in advance.. 

Just a little laugh on a very cold day in Michigan

Jim

post-30666-0-89236500-1390863714_thumb.j

post-30666-0-76687300-1390863760_thumb.j

I always start a coal fire with a wood fire. I'm always picking up wood scraps where I can find them, construction sites are great because I want pine specifically. Cut offs of 2x4's and 2x6's are perfect. Split them into kindling with a hatchet, pile up some crumpled newspaper in the firepot, add the sticks on top and light it. You will have a bed of red hot coals in no time and rake on the coal. Never fails.

Once you do that you will be known as "Mr. Coke", LOL!

Naw, you know how hard it'll be to scrape frozen napalm off the coal?

Break a few chunks off with a chisel and send them south. By the time the roads are clear of all that funny lookin' white stuff and they can ship it back, should be warm enough you to build a fire a few feet above your forge and melt your way down to it.

I always use a sheet of newspaper wrapped in a sheet of newspaper wrapped in a sheet of newspaper then twist tied at the frillies. Light the frillies, put it next tho the input, cover it with coal, turn blower on full blast. 100% lighting chance so far.

catches green coal easier than coke or charcoal

I have been using a weed dragon to start the forge up lately

(http://www.walmart.com/ip/6435919?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227010046964&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42066771310&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34439695870&veh=sem).

I have been meaning to post to see if anyone else does this.  All you do is put the torch on full blast directly over the coal for about 15 seconds until they get nice and orange.  Then turn the blower on and push all of the orange coal into a ball.  I can be up and running at forge welding temps in about 1 minute :).  Probably not the best method for conserving coal but it has given me more time to work at the forge which was sorely needed because I usually only get 1-2 hour chunks of time I can spend.