I Forge Iron

Frosty in the hospital (home Nov 09)

Glenn

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Frost
I won't know for sure until tomorrow morning when the insurance company rep calls the discharge planner back. If necessary, I am prepared to insist on the DP's contact person, their phone number, name and extension. I will call them myself.

I've used all the "phrases" that I know can work. Things like "I have safety concerns", I am not comfortable... Read More with Jerry being discharged on less than two days notice when you yourself assured me I would be given longer to make arrangements for him", "discharging him into a potentially unsafe situation with no 'home assessment' and no time to correct peoblems" and "Since I was assured that I would be given notice well ahead of his discharge, I hope the insurance company and the hospital are aware that I WILL hold them/you fully responsible if something should happen to Jerry due to this abruptly scheduled discharge plan."

Not those exact words probably ... but words to that effect. Hopefully it will gain us the time we need to at least get organized. :(
12 hours ago

What's going on is Deb was told Frosty would be in for at least 2 more weeks, and she would have advanced notification of his release. She was informed that he was getting discharged in 2 days yesterday.

Phil

This is a matter of concern. This happened with my father and in five days he ended up back in the hospital because of a lack of preparedness for home based care. We were not able to cope. Three months later my mother was hospitalized from the physical stress of trying to take care of a man that need more care than she was able to provide by herself. This is a matter for continued PRAYER! More for Deb's sake than Frosty's. He will probably do OK but she will wear herself out trying to keep him safe and healthy. He can't afford to have her get ill.

Latest that Deb posted on FB:

It took some screaming and yelling and demanding, and I even pulled the "disabled spouse" card ... but in the end, I don't think the insurance company OR the hospital wanted to mess with all of you guys. Way to go, team. Between us, we made them back down and give me the 3 extra days I need to get things done. THANK YOU!

A few folks started calling on her behalf. Looks like she got a little breathing room.