I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

I just counted 31 wild turkeys on my front lawn, what name can we make of that?
Gobbler Forge?
Turkey poop pounders?

How about ...
Thanksgiving Forge
Turkey Dinner Forge
Old Tom Forge
Where's My Shotgun Forge
Turkey Shoot Forge
Turkey Crossing Forge
Wild Turkey Forge

Sam :D

Burning Hammer Forge
(More accurately Burning Hammer Studios, Forge, Furnace & Kiln)

And the name was easy after talking my way into a job as a blacksmith the first day I caught my hammer on fire :P

An inside joke on myself.

Turkey Shoot Forge

gets my vote, make sure to have a big PIC of Alvin York somewhere ;)
(and maybe another one of Gary Cooper as Alvin York) Edited by Ice Czar

Mine is Rabenwald Metalsmything: Rabenwald is German for Raven's Wood. Which refers to the Ravens that would caw back and forth behind my old shop. Metalsmything: because we will work in anything that wont kill us, Smything is an old way of spelling smithing, and as a friend told me a while back...Metals-my-thing"

I call my outfit - Double Y Design Metal Works

I do more fabrication but have gotten more blacksmith work in the last few years.

The Double Y comes from my registered cattle and horse brand here in Montana. Not enough cattle carry my brand to be much extra income, but the herd is growing.

The brand is a lazy Y hanging a walking Y.

Double Y Design

John

I've been asked about a name several times in the past month. So for now it's Gray Ghost Forge.

I have a Weimaraner, she is totally bonded to me and follows my every move. Quite often she pulls a trick the breed is famous for..appearing out of no-where without a sound, hence the name "Gray Ghost"

When I first started forging all I had for an anvil was a 1" thick piece of plate steel RR spiked down to a stump. I had been forging all day and when done happened to stick my hand out to lean on the stump and put it down on the plate to discover it was quite hot. Thus began Hotanvil Forge

OK I'll give it one more shot, does anyone have a gripe with me naming my forge
"Forge In The Forest"?

I already spent a great deal of time on a sign for it, and it really does look good on the front, I promise to ring the bell in honor of Francis Whittaker upon entry!!

My forge name is "louis and lady forge". Kind of along story but the year I was born 1979 my father won the Alabama state championship in coon hunting. He was 20 years old. I remember whaen I was real young asking him all the time about the hunt and his win, He told me when he got to Opp that night he saw people with 10,000.00 dollar coon dogs everywhere, big nice camper style trailors and when he pulled up in his beat up jeep with his and his dog ladys tent everyone laughed at him. Little did everyone know just who they where. Lady was a Grand night coon dog and my dad had spent most of his life in the woods at night. I remember him telling me he felt abit embarrassed not to have a big nice pull trailor and big expensive dog box like everyone elses but he knew he and lady had the "game as he would call it" to win. He told me he put up his tent that night and talked to Lady all night about the up coming day and prayed she wouldnt have her puppies during the hunt, The next night was their time to shine. He would always smile when he told me right before the hunt he bended down, looked lady in the face and said" lets show them what were made of", That night my Father and Lady tread 3 times the amount of everone else and he came home with a six foot trophy. During the trophy ceramony after he won he said no one laughed then and he was offered lots of money for Lady but kept her until she died and he never went hunting again. Now if I can have the drive in Blacksmithing that they did in hunting I will be able to learn and hopefully one day become great at it just as they did. My fathers name was Louis and his Champion coon dogs name was Lady. note to people if your fathers still alive get up first thing tomorrow and go see him, I would give everything in this world I have to spend one more day with him, we like most people had our differences but our time here is easily taken for granted. He passed away on my birthday 7-25-04 he was 45 years old, hate to sound like Im preaching but I wish someone had done it to me, Godbless to all CHarlie

the Reason(s) are multipart, so here goes...

1) Being of Viking blood the Norse myth's seemed fair game to look for forge names.
2) I am a founding member of SCA House LOKI, who is the Norse god of chaos and mischief, and doing many events wanted a name that fit that.
3) I had (now dead after 16 yrs) a half wolf I rescued shortly after birth, her name was Katashi, I wanted to reflect my love of her and wolves in general.

Combining these I got Loki's wolf son Fenris. It seems to cover the bases and can make for a fun story at the medieval events I do.