I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

Our Farms names are Forgotten Farms and Forgotten Farms Too (200 miles apart)but that was just going to be too long esp. since Forgotten Farms is being sold and we are moving to Too full time .and where the new shop is going to be built.   FF Too is in the Valley of the Kedron which unlike the bible is pronounced Keedron and the brook runs in front of the farm.  There are a number of businesses that start with Kedron Valley whatever so we decided to leave out that part.  Those who know me laugh over the bible part.

Kedron Forge was decided on as we can tell who is local by how they pronounce it.  Also considered North Flowing Forge as the Kedron does in fact flow North but figured few would understand it.   

This the last move next time will be in an Urn

Loved all the info on the names and agree with who ever cautioned about registering the names with the state, here in VT you also have to get a sales tax # and file reports and put up with the Tax Inspector when they come asking for their money.

I figure the only things I make are Smoke, Noise, Mistakes , and Scrap, shouldn't be a Tax on that.  I figuring  on a sign in the shop, "We Make New Scrap out of Old Scrap" that's Recycling at it's finest.  Blacksmiths, America's First Full Time Recyclers.

Keep up the stories folks love them

Dale J

I have never had a name for my smithy mainly because it was always just a shed in my backyard.  I recently moved from Florida back home to Alabama and started building a new smithy and my friends and family kept asking what I will call it so I held a contest.  The winner was "Burnt Finger Forge."   The name does stop the age old question of "have you ever burned yourself?'.  Now I need a logo and a sign (project idea). 

My forge is called Didbrook Forge because it is a forge in Didbrook.

Rather annoyingly, on the electoral register (i.e. the official address) it is called "The Old Forge", so I maybe should have called it The Old Forge, but there are a few (presumably thousands) of those around. 

More annoyingly yet, there is no other forge in Didbrook, so why i have to be "The Old Forge" is beyond me. Ideally perhaps I would be "The Forge, Didbrook" for all purposes,  but Didbrook Forge I will remain for the moment.

Strangely, the last smith who worked here called the forge "Acorn Smithy", though there are no oaks in the immediate vicinity. There is, however, a horse chestnut tree right out front (for some reason customary in this country?), so one wonders why he didn't call it "Horsechestnut Smithy" or "Conker Tree Smithy". Perhaps he wanted to get in the phone book, preceded only by "AAA Blacksmiths", "Aardvark Forge" and "A1 Smithy"??

When my wife and I were dating, we were having a lot of discussions about our future and religion, so Pravda (Russian for Truth) and Charis (Greek for Grace) (No Russian word for grace) were important topics and kind of our personalities. So I named my forge for her, Charis Forge.

I've decided to call my hobby forge and smithy .... "The Ohio Frontier Forge" ..... as I'm so far out in the boonies, I'm basically out on the frontier ... there is nothing out here ... No internet, No DSL, no cell phone service ....... *THAT* is what it is like out here on the frontier. We at least have electricity, running water and a flush toilet..

I also do 18th century re-enacting, and the area of Ohio I live in was the edge of the frontier prior to 1800 ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

• 4 years later...

Teutonic Iron Works

I'm of primarily German decent,  so that was one reason. Also,  my given name is Dane,  and the historical Teutons were some of the early residents of Jutland... later part of Denmark. .. hence they were all "Danes"!

My wife mocks my nerdiness.

I refer to the shop as "the ferrous forge"...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Gary Forge.  I'm a retired archaeologist, with the name of Gary.  But, the Gary in Gary Forge is not, really, named after me.  There is a spear point in Texas called the Gary point - and, it is, plain and simple, UGLY.  So the name Gary bridges my name, the spear point, blacksmithing, making tools, and me!

I grow pumpkins for the grankids every year. When i first started my journey i was lucky to get a little anvil time on a Sunday afternoon. After about a 2 week hiatus i went out and the pumpkin patch took over my anvil and forge. So i refer to my shop now as "The Punkin Patch Forge". Oh i should mention that my set up was out side at that time.

Mr. Moose, that is a big pretty boy you got there.  

The first book I ever read on blacksmithing was Alex Bealer's The Art of Blacksmithing in which he mentions the four elements of the ancient Greeks, and since the name didn't seem to be taken already I'm using 4 Elements Blacksmithing for my hobby smithy. 

51 minutes ago, 4elements said:

since the name didn't seem to be taken already I'm using 4 Elements Blacksmithing

"The 4 Elementals Blacksmith Shop"

Small world, but never fear our shop names are different enough to be a problem. Even if they were the same it wouldn't be a problem.

I did whatever you need to do when a customer uses my business name on a check so I could cash it around 1980.

I picked this because the 4 elements are air, earth, fire and water. All used daily by we blacksmiths.

Heres the progression that became my name/logo

Thus my logo stands for 4 elementals or the first two letters of my first name.

20190808_162546.jpg

Greetings, 

I have lots of visitors at my forge . It’s amazing how many people ask about the name of my small shop at Golden Bell Forge. Most do not know the basic elements . The name came from the first building on my property that was a hunting cabin with a large gold bell on the roof. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

22212162-3322-4CC4-8F29-2BE8F450AD36.jpeg

CC21F4D5-D1D8-408E-8A48-9BC6569C9FA4.jpeg

Anvil,  my choice of name was informal since I'm a hobbyist, not a business but I could put a little more distinction into it. "Four Elements Forge" would be just as suitable for me. I didn't do any more than a quick internet search on the name which didn't return any blacksmith related results. This is my logo design

20190809_053725.jpg

SO true pnut. I got home one night from working late and was met by Lil Bear (my avatar) and Koko, (our Chocolate Lab) comming down the hallway shoulder to shoulder teeth bared. No way to get down the hallway to the bedroom wear the wife was sleeping. Lil Bear has a niece, Thunder, who was stradling the wifes legs, looking down the hallway waiting to see what needed to happen. Of corse when I spoke to them, there attidude changed very quickly...DADDYS HOME!!!!!!!!!!..

I never have to worry about the wife while I am away from the house.

Edited by Mr Moose
spelling