I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

My shops name is NightTide Metal Works. It got its name because I was doing custom fabrication on boats and at night or on off tides was the time most boat owners wanted the work done. My symbol wich I hope to make in to a touch mark is a New England oyster shell , I use it on my cards and stationary.

Wow, what a group of great names! My Singing Anvil Forge sounds way too mundane to fit in. Hmmmm "Quenchcracks House of Metallurgical Madness"? "Sweaty Brow Forge"? "House Of Heat"? "GasWhacker Forge"? "Suburban Scrounge and Forge" "Scrap Trap Forge" I need to think about this some more.....

I named my forge the Jewett Forge Co. for Jewett,Oh the town that I used to live in. Now I have moved to Sandyville WV, So I have some decisions to make. I liked Sandy creek forge for the creek that runs through the valley at my new home, but I saw that someone is already using it. I guess I will build another shop first, then worry about a shop name.

I named my forge the Jewett Forge Co. for Jewett,Oh the town that I used to live in. Now I have moved to Sandyville WV, So I have some decisions to make. I liked Sandy creek forge for the creek that runs through the valley at my new home, but I saw that someone is already using it. I guess I will build another shop first, then worry about a shop name.

This brings up an interesting question; to me anyway. :)

If you name a forge or any business for a place what happens when you move?

Personally I've always thought of a place named operation as a local one, where one named after a person or family is a personal one.

It's one reason mine is called "The FrostWorks" instead of "The Mountain View Blacksmith and Fab Shop." I moved out of Mtn. View 11 years ago after building this place and would have to have changed the name to, "Meadow Lakes Blacksmith and Fab Shop."

Of course, then people I did work for 11 or more years ago wouldn't know where I'd gone because of the name change and I'd lose out on potential business, directly or through (I HOPE!) referrals.

Heck, the old business name wouldn't show up in a phone book or maybe not even on the web. Not in a way a former customer would recognize anyway, unless they recognized the motto, "Stuff Done With Metal". That's kind of a long shot though and wouldn't happen till your old satisfied (they're looking for you again after all) customer has given up on you and started looking for a replacement.

Personally I don't like the idea of someone giving up on me. Goodness knows I've disappointed more people than I ever wanted to, why set it up to happen more often?

End Saturday morning musings. :confused:

Frosty

I call mine "The Stormbringer Forge" because when I first got into blacksmithing I had my "Bufco forge" set up outside and of course everytime I wanted to use it....it would rain!! I had to wait two weeks before I finally had the chance to fire it up!

You could safely burn coal in that case.

How about Midden Forge? Or Ye Olde Garderobe Forge? "Crescent Moon Forge"?

You could of course specialize in Flush connections.

I see a fertile field of possibilities here.

:P

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

While smithing last week I looked up and got my forge's name 'Red Tail Forge' for the hawk circling overhead. Pretty much where ever I move there seems to be Red Tail Hawks. So it seems like a safe name. Cummings' Forge just doesn't sound good.

I call mine "Hangin Tree forge" cause I forge under a giant mesquite tree once used to hang horse thieves, crooked politicians and other miscreants. Hey, this is Texas, my forge, my tree, my story. If I told you I had a chicken that dipped snuff, I garantee you you'll find a can of skoal under his wing.

The first shop in Ontario was called Tapley Forge since that was the name of the rural concession road where it was located. Since our move to NB. the name has morphed into The Elgin Anvil since the village of Elgin is fairly close.
Tapley

Edited by Tapley

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm not a smith at all, just a lowly rental equipment mechanic. I use the name Rentaratchet (Rent a ratchet) online to describe myself. My business card, however, reads Quality Repairs, LLC, because that's what I try to provide to my customers, and my catch phrase is "Quality Repairs on Quality Equipment" because I don't (won't) work on junk.

• 2 weeks later...

Our smithy is known as the ZLV Forge, an abbreviation for Zoning Law Violation, after a recent dispute with a neighbor who questioned what started off as a hobby (when he saw smoke coming from the forge). Our little city has an ordinance that prohibits more than one outbuilding on a single parcel without a zoning variance. With this variance, you may not emit any noxious odors, noise, or smoke from this building. We initially sought to build another shed or storage barn to house my forge, however, when we filed for the permit, we were told that because we had a building on the property, we either were going to be denied, would have to tear down the existing building and store all the yard equipment in the building with the forge, or file for a variance. With the variance, we were permitted to build the building, but got into trouble when I fired up the forge. We have since obtained a variance over the objection of the neighbor, however, we are still identified as the "zoning law violators" and the name ZLV Forge has stuck.

We're "Oak & Acorn Ancient Metalcrafts".

Oak is reference to the honor and reverence the Druids had for Oaks, since we're Druids.

Acorns refer to our two daughters who are getting interested in metal working.

Ancient because blacksmiths/metalworkers have been around for thousands of years and we carry on that tradition.

Metalcrafts is used instead of "blacksmithing" because (my wife in particular) does works with precious metals in addition to blacksmithing.