I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

Years ago I seen a story on TV about a dogo Argentino that saved his little girl from a puma in I don't remember what S. American country I'm going to guess maybe Argentina. The dog was hurt pretty badly but the girl was untouched.

Pnut

• 6 months later...

I'm nowhere near being skilled enough to actually need a name for my forge (or more accurately my play area in the back garden) but I have been thinking about this.

My first thoughts were along the idea of "Invicta Forge" from the motto of Kent - the county where I was born and grew up - Invicta means unconquered or undefeated but I wasn't sure whether this was trying too hard as a name.

My current thoughts are towards "Petal and Pony Forge".  A white rose is the symbol for Yorkshire where I currently live and a white horse is the symbol for the aforementioned Kent.  I quite like the juxtaposition between the soft and fluffy sounding "petal" and "pony"to contrast with the harshness of heating and beating steel

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have you. 

"Invicta Forge" sounds good and it should inspire you not to give up the craft. Petal and Pony is good and it has significance for you, both good qualities. On that note, how about a more Manly man version like, The Bud Stud Forge? Lots better than the Boutonniere Mare.

If I were to pick I'd go for the Petal and Pony but I live in the forest on the far side of the planet.

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear Mark,

You may or may not be aware of the poem "Invictus" by William Henley.  At one time it was required memorization in schools.  Because of it I like Invictus better than Invicta.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
      Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul.

I like the idea behind the Petal and Pony but I'm afraid that it sounds too twee by half.  I'd just go with the Rose and Horse.  It is  stronger name to go with ironwork.  Or you could drop the and so that you'd have the proverbial horse of a different color.

In any case the name only has to please you.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 3 months later...

Originally I was thinking Bowron river blacksmithing named after the river that I live by. After reading all the stories behind shop names I realized that perhaps I shouldn't name the forge after a place. Now I'm thinking black spruce forge.

Duncan

My smithy was named Little Bear Forge and our farm was Gunslinger Goats because our herdshire was named Wyatt Earp and several others were named after old west figures. After my grandkids passed away, we renamed the farm to Sissy & Bubba's Farmstead for them, because that is how they referred to each other. My forge name didn't sound right anymore. Didn't reflect me or the farm as a whole because we were more than just goats by this point. And wherever we are, it will always be a farm. So I changed it to S&B Farmstead Forge

I don't really have it nailed down yet... but I'd joked about naming my shed the "fair weather forge", as I do my work outside in the doorway so as not to set the wood framed shed on fire.:D Here in northwest Ohio- the winters can get pretty cold, and the midwest weather tends to change on the hour sometimes... hence, the fair weather reference!