I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

Frog Valley Forge comes from the old name of the valley that I live in. Only the old timers know the name now, but I found it on some old maps and liked it. Besides , the weekend that I first looked at this property the woods were filled with frogs, you couldn't walk with watching where you stepped 'cause there were thousands of them.

Anyway, Frog Valley stuck.

Frog Valley Forge
Frog Valley Artisans
Frog Valley Pottery
Frog Valley Glass
Frog Valley Press
and so on and so forth...

www.frogvalley.com

I agree about staying away from too cute, unless your a hobbyist only and never get delusions of grandeur. The locality name is great if its pretty unique.

Scratch and Duck were sitting round the campfire one night talkin bout Ducks smithing and stuff and tuning a jug. Since we were both Scots and we loved what we were doing( re-enacting) Scratch said try heart and thistle so I added The Heart and Thistle Shoppe then since its just smithing right now The Heart an Thistle Forge. Or my name is Thessle so I named the Forg Thistle but I didn't have a far--- heart ...naaa i'm just mixed up an can't remember. Aquire the Fire

Shop names......

Hmmm well about 10 years ago I decided I needed cards to hand out at events so I pondered a shop name and decided to go with "RED Iron Forge"
Seeing as how my initials spell out RED it seemed appropriate as well as the fact the metal does not move until it is at least red.

8)
Ralph

• 2 months later...

I've gone a bit beyond current capabilities in naming my mash house. :)

I call it 'Crazy Cracker, forge, foundry and fixture'. The first and third parts are in place, but the middle is still in the research and gathering phase. In a nod to the Irish side of the Scots/Irish of my family, I'm arranging the three Fs in a clover pattern.

Gonna take someone with plunge EDM capabilities to make this touchmark. :D:D:D:D That or thirty minutes with a punch set. :lol::lol::lol:

I threw out the name Bullsh(the forum will not let me complete the spelling)t Forge. As much as I love to get into the rhythm of hammer and anvil work, it seems that shops gather malingering miscreants of miasmatic meandering, and that is a forte of mine. :D:lol::lol::lol: :wink:

Edit: wording added but did not change the content of the post

• 2 years later...

My shop /smithy`s name is INFERNO forging! When I was building the main forge my cousin called it Redneck Inferno forge, the inferno forge stuck (the redneck part didn`t sound very Pro. , even though I`am no pro. it just sounds better without) Before I decided on Inferno forging , i was going to call it either C.Jones Blacksmithing or Brushy Moutain Forge (we live beside brushy mtn. , and dad use Jones`s Brushy Mtn (instert dog name) onhis coon dogs`s papers)
Thanks,Chris
INFERNO forging

Being that I am a father of eight on the ground and one on the way:D, I have always looked for a good fatherly role model that was attainable by a mere human like myself. St. Joseph was a great foster father to The Man, and after a little bit of intense study, I found/realized that St Joe could not have been only a carpenter, but a smith as well (repairing someone's cart somethimes meant the wheels and carriage as well).

Hence the name St. Joseph's Forge, with the motto "Bangin Iron with Christ". Some might not like it, but that is for them to decide

This thread'll give me something to read on coffee breaks. :)

I call mine The FrostWorks.

Guys who know me say I should put a "?" at the end.

I do all kinds of things so trying to come up with a name that reflected that would require a few pages which gets cumbersome on business cards.

My shop motto or slogan or whatever is, "Stuff Done With Metal". An old friend of mine told me it made me sound like a big country dummy and I should actually list what I can do. I agreed and asked him to take notes while I listed things. He gave up before the first page was full. Too cumbersome for a business card or resume in fact.

He was quite surprised when virtually everybody I gave a card to got it and asked if I could do. X?

Humor has served me well over the years, I've actually considered adding that "?" to my shop name. :cool:

Frosty

The favorite that I have seen is Dan Tull's shop in Georgia. He calls it "DAN T'S INFERNO". Get it...Dan T's instead of Dante's.

Everyone keep posting smithy names /stories
Not to get ot or anything but does that mean I should change my smithy/shop name? Even though I just made a LARGE order of business cards for upcoming demos. LOL I hope not LOL. Sorry Glenn I had to ask (trying not to get ot)
Thanks,Chris

Ive been a farmer most of my life. One of the honeryest,toughest most bullheaded creatures Ive ever had to deal with was old billygoats. Fightin goat forge..LOL, sides I just like the name.

Never really thought about it, but I reckon I'll call it the TTT or Triple T simply because I live in a Tacky Tourquoise Trailer. That Florida 50's tourquoise and yes we have pink plastic flamingos in the front yard. We're into the retro Florida thing.
One thing for sure, we're easy to find.

My Forge is Frost Fire Forge & Studio...Our last name is Frost we play with fire...and I am even making a steel and aluminum "frost fire" sculpture for our trademark (also doubles as a sign holder for events:)...But I like Burr Oak Forge and think it would make a fine name for ya!

There isn't a name i can find that would fit it for every day, so i don't name it.

Sounds like a musical movie to me. Forge Your Wagon. The title song being, "No name smithy. . . No name smithy. . . Da da da dee da."

Couldn't help myself, go ahead throw something.

Then again, maybe Clint isn't doing anything right now. :rolleyes:

Frosty

The name of my smithy at Union Mills is Homestead Forge. Two reasons, I've been oil painting under Homestead Arts, plus it is the Union Mills Shriver Homestead.

Being a Southern Civil War Re-enactor I have been throwing around the name Southern Cross Forge for my smithy at home.

But on my business cards it is simply The Civil War Blacksmith.

Reb

Hoffman's Forge. Wanted to use my name, something traditional and professional sounding, back in 1981 when I decided to go full time. When I lived in New York in the late 80's and early 90's I had to register the name. Some clients don't want to and some can't write a check to an individual. They have to write checks to a business name. My current bank does not care, but the one in New York did care. So I had to do a business checking account and have the business name registered. My current bank allowed me to put the business name on a cheap checking account, which is now a small business account due to mergers. I never cared for the cute names. I have seen a couple of different people use Dragon Breath Forge as well as a couple of different people use Lazzy Ass Forge. If you use a more conservative/professional sounding name, who know's maybe something big will happen.

Being a beginner I decided on a name one day when I was working, and decided on naming mine Four Leaf Forge. First because of my irish heritage the association of the four leaf clover and the good luck with finding it and second because of the fact that I was very lucky to find an old smith that was willing to teach me the trade and fill me with material to read and study to learn all that I can as well as help me with any equipment needed. I have truly been lucky to find such a willing old smith. Hence the name Four Leaf Forge.

Well don't tell my bride cause the story I gave her is different!

The truth of the matter is Iron Rose Farms is based as follows...
Iron because of my blacksmithing
Rose is due to my wife's middle name being Rose (she thinks it is because of the dozen iron roses I gave her)
Farms is because there is no business that I know of other than farming that houses so many different types of business all as one operation.

In addition to the smithy, we also do some live stock. Currently we have Cows, chickens, goats, pigs, rabbits, sheep and our St. Barnyard (bernard) dog named Slim Pickens who live here along with Reba our indoor dog and the independant stray cats who are on the catch your own diet. We also truck patch tomatoes, sweet corn, green beans, cukes, etc... We also have a small orchard and vines that we grow purely for our own consumption. So using the term Farm isn't too far fetched!

Basically IRF is the catch all of all our business ventures making it easier for me to report our earnings under one name. But I like it too and the rose and the anvil make for a great logo...

James

Edited by ironrosefarms