I Forge Iron

Stories behind smithy/forge names...

My smithy is/will be called Oakhammer Forge. It combines two elements that run at the core of who I am. I've always associated with the images/symbology of the oak tree and nothing feels more natural to me that the feel of a hammer in my hand (which explains most of my obsessions, carving, woodworking, leatherworking, carpentry, metal work, blacksmithing and soon-to-be silversmithing). So the combination really resonated with me. I'm even going to call my small business (which I am in the process of researching how to register) Oakhammer Craftings.
Good luck in finding your name. Make it something that speaks about and resonates with you, but don't be afraid to have a little fun with it too (-it doesn't have to be all heavy and philosophical).
Aeneas

I built my own shop and put a weather vane on top of the roof. When a friend came to visit and asked what the name of the forge was, we looked towards the shop and saw the weather vane:

FrogandFlag.JPG the Dancing Frog stood out brightly in the gathering twilight (of course, it was painted florescent green :))

touchmarkFrog.JPGFrom there I created a logo adding an anvil to the dancing frog. This is now the touch mark and logo for The Dancing Frog Forge

The Dancing Frog Forge has an international clientele so a fanciful name is not a detriment if the products are well made.

I think I replied to this thread a very long time ago, but my smithy has since changed names. It used to be broomstick, when I never sold or really made anything, but this summer, when I started selling things I decided it was not a good name. My name is Zietman (used to be Zeitman a few generations ago, but the generations needed to distinguish butcher's shops) and people call me Zeitgeist (dunno why), so it's Zeitgeist forge.

I have realized when doing art (and blacksmithing is doing art) the best thing is to use your name...
So i split my business in two parts: the (ornamentel) fabrication part is named the "CAPE VILLAGE FORGE" whereas 'Cape' stands for Cape Town, South Africa. All fabrication work is done here with or without employers.
the second part is the pure blacksmithing part in which i'm working more or less on my own. FRANK THEIMER - ARTIST BLACKSMITH/METAL DESIGN

In the end these are trading names only. If i need it for business, for example if the customer needs a TAX invoice, it will run as "Theimer Investments SA (Pty.) Ltd." which may be used officially for the first or the second trading name...

sounds like it has character to me; I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with a name for my venture. I'm trying to make it appropriate for my 18th century demos, etc. I was also thinking of touchmarks, and know the creation of one possibly has a bearing on the other, although I was considering a simple "tomahawk" design, as I am a native reenactor and could easily fabricate one

I started out calling mine "Forge in the Forest" because when I lived in California, we used to go to this restaurant for bread pudding in Carmel Ca. When I told my buddy Bob Trout about it, he made me aware of the Francis Whittaker connection there, and even though It is a full continent away, I felt it might be a bit presumptuous to keep that name. We are in the beautiful finger lakes area of western New York, and my forge is indeed set in the forest, so what do you guys think, should I leave it, or use it??

I worked at a foundry for awhile and picked up a anvil with a big casting fault in the side , the horn and face were fine but there was a huge hole in the side.Very usable but ,not quite right. So the original name for my forge was going to be 'holy anvil forge" Hey ,we all worship our anvils just a little bit:)
but then i picked up another bad casting anvil.This one with cracks all over the face ,running down through the waist , so the name "cracked anvil forge " came to being and I've used it for the last 13 or so years.

I sure can't fault your Cracked logic, it's Holey appropriate. :o

If you to to the top of the page and click "USER CP" and edit your profile to show where you're located we might drop in for a visit sometime. Actually there're likely other smiths reasonably close to lend a hand, swat techniques or lies with.

Frosty

• 3 weeks later...
I live on Crawfish Rd in Crawfish Valley so it just seemed right---

That's a good name and it's catchy enough to survive a move.

My Mother and sister moved to a suburb of Boise recently and not far from their new house is Chicken Dinner Rd. I gotta tell ya it's tempting to move just so I could have the Chicken Dinner Forge.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just name our driveway.

Frosty

I now call my buisness Iron Grip blacksmithing cause i forge iron my last name is grip and blacksmithing is what i do... actually my ex was the one that said i should change it about 15 years ago . used to be d&e blacksmithing after my dad an my first names ( dad was a silent partner and still helps with finances once in a wile)

I've recently been toying around with the name "Kissing Turtle Forge"

it would make for a cool touchmark, and the turtle motif is from the native history that i teach; the world origninated on a turtle's back, all crafts from the forge.

I've yet to settle on it, but the other thing I have considered is using an alligator touchmark. I just didn't have a good name that relates, yet. Any ideas/opinions about either would be warmly received; I need to come up with something soon.

I've been home brewing a fair amount lately, and was thinking of trying to come up with a name that incorporated "Forge and Brewery". Not sure what the first part should be though. There is a brewery down in California called Ale Smith. That seems to use a blacksmith theme for their marketing. I sent them an email at one point though, and was a little disappointed about their response.. Some day I'd love to open up a small bar called "The Anvil" and have one side be plexiglas, and on the other side of the plexi would be the blacksmith shop. I figure people would get a kick out of watching people smith and drinking some beers..

That could have potential alright. Too bad the "Slack Tub Pub" is already taken. Eh?

Of course your brews would have Fuller flavor.

How about, Brews for the Hardy Soul?

Split with the Hot Set?

Straight Pein Pilsner?

Stand Bock?

Sledge Stout?

Molten Malt?

I wouldn't advertise Flatter beer though.

Frosty

That's a good name and it's catchy enough to survive a move.

My Mother and sister moved to a suburb of Boise recently and not far from their new house is Chicken Dinner Rd. I gotta tell ya it's tempting to move just so I could have the Chicken Dinner Forge.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just name our driveway.

Frosty

I like that one!!!