I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

IMG_4273.thumb.JPG.74346d1805de8ed64ad91

unnamed.thumb.jpg.afa455627401add188b7a9unnamedsdfswfsd.thumb.jpg.844256f3587168

Hot cutter

11121.thumb.jpg.9a280c7beb56feee7114232a

I cleaned up all the cuts and made the hot cutter bigger and hit the whole top and horn with a flapper disc to smooth things out after taking these pics. I'll add some shots of the 2.5 footer once i get the horn cut into it.

neophite, I'm not seeing any of these pictures.

neophite, I'm not seeing any of these pictures.

Ya i ran into that with some fellas in the chat. I wonder if the images need to be approved by a admin. first? I saved them from my email to my desktop then added them with the choose files option. i  don't know why it has failed. thank's for the heads up just the same

How did you attach them to the post? If the file size is too large it can be a problem. I do a "Save As" at a smaller file size and I'm using MS 8.1 and FireFox as a browser. Either formats will save as in a smaller file size.

Then I click on the "choose files" button at the bottom of this text window. Browse the files on my computer and double click the one I want. It appears at the bottom of the text window with a + symbol and a trashcan. click on the + button and it will insert in the post at the cursor.

It's easier and faster to do than write the directions.

Just PLEASE don't post a series of posts with one pic from your gallery. One post and a word of explanation and we can browse your gallery pics. Posting your whole gallery to the forum one pic at a time is a HUGE waste of bandwidth and I'm sorely tempted to add folk who do this to the "IGNORE" filter so I don't have to wait for a whole boatload of large files to download. Seriously, I can just browse a person's Gallery if they ask us to take a look.

I know you haven't done this. I'm just trying to put the word out to the new folk who ARE posting bunches of photos of their work by making us upload their ENTIRE gallery with every picture. It's like buying a new book every time you want to turn a page.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just PLEASE don't post a series of posts with one pic from your gallery. One post and a word of explanation and we can browse your gallery pics. Posting your whole gallery to the forum one pic at a time is a HUGE waste of bandwidth and I'm sorely tempted to add folk who do this to the "IGNORE" filter so I don't have to wait for a whole boatload of large files to download. Seriously, I can just browse a person's Gallery if they ask us to take a look.

I know you haven't done this. I'm just trying to put the word out to the new folk who ARE posting bunches of photos of their work by making us upload their ENTIRE gallery with every picture. It's like buying a new book every time you want to turn a page.

Frosty The Lucky.

Similarly, if you want to quote a post that contains an image, delete the image from the quote. We all saw it the first time, and that's a really unnecessary gobbling of bandwidth.

thanks, thats all the info i needed! i'm not used to posting things

I hope you didn't think we were ticked at you. All you needed was a little help posting a pic, it took us all a while to figure it out. Heck, we have some long time members who don't know how to post pics. That's just the new to a forum learning curve. Decent View of your anvil as your Avatar. Don't be afraid to use more bandwidth than that, okay?

I was just a little crabby and not even mad at the new folk showing off their work posting individual Gallery pics over and over. That's part of the curve too.

Funny I should be griping about folk posting pics, we LOVE pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello, John here in Mindanao Philippines for last year. Found this Anvil, I have seen nowhere on the internet, it weighs 225 pounds found in the mountains were many civilizations have lived including the Japanese army in WWII. the photo with it laying on its side shows what looks like a Japaneses character  Any idea on make and value??? first time using this site.anvil.thumb.jpg.0a69567fab9a57151675a9fa

20150916_090904.jpg

Welcome aboard John, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Nobody is going to remember you told us in this post once we open another.

That looks like a cast iron Chinese knock off anvil we call them ASOs for Anvil Shaped Object. However, it's hard to tell looking at a pic. Have you done a rebound test? Drop a ball bearing on the face and estimate how close to that high it bounces. You CAN use a scale and measure the rebound but eyeballing is good enough for an estimate. 50% is mediocre, 70% is okay, 80-90% is pretty darned good. A hard anvil face is pretty necessary to efficient forging.

Is it available? Are you interested in learning the craft?

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's my anvils. One I use and the other is sitting until I can get it mounted for a second for a dedicated hardy holder or for a friend to use. Either way the one I don't use was my first. I can't make out the name on it. And haven't found a name on the one I do use. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like a Hay Budden

Edited by Daswulf

This is my anvil around 300lbs Hay Budden I got from a scrapyard :) Cleaned it up now, probably going to make a metal stand with angle iron and tube steel fill with saw dust and oil then add a rubber base to it to kill the ring. In the background you can see the piece of rail road track I started with, smaller one was used for a flat face and edgesIMG_0016.thumb.JPG.687da708758d24e2fe83aIMG_0017.thumb.JPG.f77272e4f6c96f725fe50

Yeah I'd say, I guess the scrap guy was holding onto it until someone came into ask for one that someone was me, I got a great deal on it though considering I got it for 275, And as my first anvil I couldn't be happier. So far it's helped me make my first two pairs of tongs :) 
Also in case anyone happens to be interested It's been dated to 1910, so that makes it 115 year old which is super cool

Yeah, Zyph's maths is a little off, but I bet he counted out that 275 smackeroos quick smart. You got a bargain there mate. Just don't get any ideas about 'fixing' those torch marks - you've got plenty of fine anvil around them. Happy forging! :D

Oh yeah oops..... shows what I get for staying up to about mid night all the time.... making myself look stupid...

You got a bargain there mate. Just don't get any ideas about 'fixing' those torch marks - you've got plenty of fine anvil around them. Happy forging! :D

Don't worry the torch marks stay I've been working around them so far, and I don't plan on doing something like ruining the hardness by welding,grinding, or the worst of them all milling it. I was cringing as I typed this thinking about it happen... 

My brother-in-law must like me (no idea why) but he just brought me this from his father's estate: A 102 pound Trenton. Has about 70% rebound using a ball bearing.

Trenton.thumb.jpg.4e95c4626a96cc6a404006

I hit it with a wire brush and put it on a temp mount to give it a try. Works great and I'm in love with it already. Isn't she beautiful? :wub: 

It has a serial number but I got so excited I didn't bother to look nor honestly do I care when it was made. It's mine now to love and work :lol:

My brother-in-law must like me (no idea why) but he just brought me this from his father's estate: A 102 pound Trenton. Has about 70% rebound using a ball bearing.

Trenton.thumb.jpg.4e95c4626a96cc6a404006

I hit it with a wire brush and put it on a temp mount to give it a try. Works great and I'm in love with it already. Isn't she beautiful? :wub: 

It has a serial number but I got so excited I didn't bother to look nor honestly do I care when it was made. It's mine now to love and work :lol:

what a brother-in-law! and what an anvil!

is that some rubber under the anvil? I don't think that's a good idea, neither the piece of plank with the grain running horizontally - especially under a relatively light anvil, those will absorb the energy making your hammering less effective. it looks that you have a pine stump as base, a wood which is already on the light side. you can increase your efficiency by bolting your anvil directly on the stump. the vertical grain is less dampening than the horizontal one. if the plank piece is for height adjustment, is better to put it under the stump, but it's better without. the best is to get a hardwood stump (heavier) for that anvil. I have a ~70lb anvil which was installed on a heavy oak stump and it was quiet effective when used. when I got a bigger/heavier anvil, I moved the little one on a walnut stump and installed the big one on the oak one. the walnut stump was adjusted in height by adding three pieces of pinewood (~2inch thick). the difference is quiet noticeable.  

Hey everyone, I'm Josh and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA.  Chemical Engineer by education, Controls/Mechanical/Electrical Engineer by career. Just starting out in putting together my own little set up and I happened upon a nice find today - a neighbor overheard my talking about looking for an Anvil and told me that I could have her old one for free. She bought herself a much smaller one, so she didn't need this one and it was just sitting.  Turns out it's a Peter Wright. She says it's about 100lbs but I'll have to get it on the scale to know for sure. Says "1   1   3" on the side along the Peter Wright Patent symbol. Any questions about it? I'm happy to take more pictures.

There does seem to be some minor damage to it, but honestly I'm just starting out and I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as I think it is - since I'm only just starting anyways.

Here are some pictures!

I'll be looking into the safest way to clean her up tonight, as she's been outside for what seems like a while.

Edit#1: I'm told by  Dale Russell that "1 1 3" = 143 lb ... the first 1 = 112 lbs , second 1 = 28 lbs , 3 = 3 lbs.  I appreciate the information, Dale!

Looking forward to doing exactly what Dale suggested next, which was to "hit it with wire brush to get rid of some of the surface rust & get pounding hot iron on it."

20151012_185601.jpg

20151012_185629.jpg

20151012_185636.jpg

20151012_185650.jpg

20151012_185658.jpg

20151012_185708.jpg

20151012_185727.jpg

Edited by Josh Hoffman

Affix it solidly to a good stand and it'll work well for you. A REAL anvil is anything hard and heavy enough to forge on. I've worked on rail for decades and only "loaned" my last rail anvil to a beginner a couple years ago. I hope he's still using it or passed it on to another beginner, it was a pretty good anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.